Thread: 4/10/21 Gobbler

Default 4/10/21 Gobbler

Tuesday morning I called Sneads Builders Supply to see about ordering some material. Johnny answered their phone by saying "Michael, I'm glad you called. I was going to call you today anyway, I want you to help me kill a turkey"

We agreed that he'd pick me up at 6 this morning, he rolled down the drive at 5:40 and I could tell he was excited. Daylight breaks and a bird gobbles about 200yds out but Jonny couldn't hear him. He gobbled a dozen or so times, he answered back to me twice but I could tell his last two gobbles were increasingly farther off. It was about 7:10, I told Johnny we could wait it out or make a move and try to circle around and get in front but it was up to him. He opted to move and we were making a wide circle when a bird gobbled on his own within 100yds. I grabbed him by the arm and we sat down right there. I hit the slate and he hammered back. I cut at him again and he was even closer, about this time a second bird was gobbling and making his towards us as well. Just a few min later I see a bird coming through the trees, he's trotting down the hill side at a fast pace, steps in the road at 75yds, half struts and walks into the creek bottom on the other side. I tell Johnny to slide around to his left the birds going to come into a little opening just on the other side of the creek and to get ready. He gobbles again and I'm thinking its about to be over as I can see him coming. movement catches my eye and there are two hens on the creek bank to our left, CRAP!! The bird gobbles again and is about 25yds away but there's just one problem, there's a huge pile of corrugated pipe sections (remnants of an old bridge) directly between us and the bird. I can see his tail fan at one moment and I could see his head when he'd stick his neck out to gobble but Johnny could not see him at all. I could hear the hens walking to our left and I guess Johnny could too because he made a move to try to situate himself in that direction. The hens didn't like that at all and started putting like crazy. I figured it was game over at that point and decided I would give it one last shot to try to keep the gobbler interested. The hens had left and I assumed the gobbler had too. I was trying to think of our next move when after what seemed like an eternity of silence he gobbled again and was still not far off on the other side of the pile of pipes. I called again to him and he stepped out. Dead before 8 o'clcock. Johnny's a veteran deer hunter but this was his first gobbler. He said later his hear was pounding and he was breathing so hard he didn't know if he was gonna be able to shoot

19lbs
    10 1/4" beard
    1" spurs
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Atta boy Michael, way to go getting the man on a bird. We heard one way off in the distance but couldn’t close the deal before the rain got to us.

Awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Nothing like it, except more of it! Nice work men!

Congrats!!! I like it!! Nice Mike!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

That's special! Nice work

There should be a hell yeah button...but HELL YEAH

I like it Michael. Was his fan already busted up or was it a victim of the kill?
    Carolina Counsel

Good stuff my friend.

Congratulations, he will be hooked for life now.

Great stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Counsel View Post
    I like it Michael. Was his fan already busted up or was it a victim of the kill?
    I really can’t say for sure. Even when the bird half-strutted across the road he was sideways to me and when I could see him blow up through the woods I could never see him in his entirety. It was a less than desirable shot opportunity as well as less than desirable shot placement so I would not be surprised if the missing tail feathers were from the kill.

The last time I saw the gobbler (before he stepped out to be shot) he was right behind the the pile of corrugated pipe, roughly 25yds. At least ten minutes had gone by when he stepped out for the final time. Again, he stepped out directly behind the pile of pipe, I could tell he was a little further back than originally but not how much. I told Johnny to shoot if he felt comfortable with it. I never stepped it off afterwards but in hindsight it was about a 50-55yd shot.
    Last edited by Duck cutter; 04-10-2021 at 07:39 PM.

Did you already know him or did he recognize you from Sc Ducks?

Quote Originally Posted by charlie horse View Post
    Did you already know him or did he recognize you from Sc Ducks?
    Johnny??

I’ve known him my whole life. We’ve bought material from Sneads for years (they send my Dad a lot of business) we attend the same church, fish together some, and Johnny will even work for us on occasion when we need an extra set of hands on a job.

Not too shabby!

Great work!