Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Entry level O/U question

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

Quote Originally Posted by Woodiewacker82 View Post
    I really just want one for shooting doves and a few wood ducks just to change the experience some. I mostly shoot an A391 for ducks and a Montefeltro 20 for doves and other critters. I don’t expect to really shoot it much that’s why I’m hesitant to spend a lot but i guess if I buy a nicer one I can look at it as an investment haha.
    Do you have a friend with one that you could try? The concept of shooting something new is always interesting but the reality of shooting an O/U, especially with stout loads, may be different than you anticipate. Give one a try.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

Quote Originally Posted by CWPINST View Post
    Do you have a friend with one that you could try? The concept of shooting something new is always interesting but the reality of shooting an O/U, especially with stout loads, may be different than you anticipate. Give one a try.
    Yea I’ve shot a few of them and talking about stout loads I’ve got a single barrel 12 that I use on turkeys that kicks like a mule. I know that it will be a huge difference from shooting a gas gun on felt recoil and I’m good with that part. I’m just questioning spending over $1k on a gun I don’t even plan on shooting more than 300 rds a year.

I bought a 12 gauge Citori Upland Special as my first o/u many years ago. It's killed a bunch of birds and it's what I started shooting sporting clays with. It's very light, straight stocked and has very short barrels. It's built for quail hunting but I use it for dove more than anything. It just fits me and kills birds like magic. I liked it so much that I bought the same gun in 20 gauge several years later. It's a dream in the dove field.

Even though I was shooting these guns fine at clays, the guys in my clays club finally shamed me into getting a real clays gun. It's purpose built, has 32" barrels and weighs a lot more. Switching over was an adjustment but I shoot clays better with it and there's a lot less felt recoil. It's also built to take the round count of regular clay shooting. I doubt I'll wear it out.

I still shoot the Citoris at upland birds but the 12 gauge is getting worn out. Recently I picked up a camo Cynergy 12 gauge with 3 1/2 chambers for duck hunting. I've been shooting an Xtrema that I love at ducks but I just hate slinging hulls all over the place. The Cynergy fits me well but is very heavy and especially muzzle heavy. I added some weight in the stock to help balance it some. I'm still not 100% sure it's going to work out. Did I say it's heavy?

In my humble opinion, a Browning or Beretta is about the lowest I would go in terms of quality. If you go cheaper, your chances of disappointment are much higher. If it's not worth it to you to spend that much, I'd just move on and stick with your autoloader. Hunting time is very valuable and it doesn't make sense to squander it by using a cheaply made gun.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I bought a stoeger Condor Longfowler have used it for about 2 years with no issue whatsoever highly recommend them !
    " You can't catch the Rona if you already the Illest " - J ROC

Anyone have any experience with a Beretta BL4? Any opinions on this model?

I’ve been waiting on a 687 SP iii to hit shelves for months.

I have been shooting 3 Yildiz's SPZ-ME's(o/u's)for seven plus years. First was the 20 ga . Then the 410. Finally the 12 ga. Never a problem with any of the three. I shoot the 20 & 410 the most at doves-skeet and quail.

The current cz O/U are made by Huglu. I picked up a redhead AT (Cerakote finish) last summer to have an O/U that I wouldn't be upset if something happened to. I enjoyed it a lot and ended up using it all dove season and on multiple wood duck hunts. Mine is the 20 gauge and fits me well considering the price point. I could see where the 12 may kick pretty good though. Overall I have been happy with mine from the dove field to the duck blind to the clays range, I've used it for all in the past year. With that said, you can tell a cheaper finish (expected) and does not swing as well as the higher end guns I've shot. Not sure the price now, but they were in the $850 range last year and I couldn't find a used citori/silver pigeon that I liked for less than $1500 so I went cheap.