Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Entry level O/U question

Default Entry level O/U question

Today I held a Stevens 555 and it felt real nice and seems to fit me pretty well. Question is what other O/Us should I look at under $1k?

I’m about to pick up a CZ Teal I ordered in 16. I’ve held both but haven’t shot either. CZ is a little more but still under $1000. Availability was my main reason for CZ as well as a few friends have shot them and speak well for them.
    Go Tigers!!!

There were some folks on here that were pretty happy with a CZ O/U. Redhead model maybe??

I had a 555 in 28g, it was decent but the barrel selector / safety was pretty stiff
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

I have a yildiz 28. Shoots great for a beater that i bought it for
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Find a used 686.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    Find a used 686.
    I agree with this, but I will say that I love my 555 20 GA. I bought it to put a red dot on and use as a dedicated Turkey gun but I shot some clays with it and decided against the sight. It shoots right where I’m looking anyway so the sight isn’t really needed. Damn nice little gun for the money.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Ruger Red Label, older Citori, SKB use to make a solid little gun, older Winchester 101. A used quality older gun will be more serviceable than a cheap new one IMO.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post
    I agree with this, but I will say that I love my 555 20 GA. I bought it to put a red dot on and use as a dedicated Turkey gun but I shot some clays with it and decided against the sight. It shoots right where I’m looking anyway so the sight isn’t really needed. Damn nice little gun for the money.
    Same with my yildiz28. I got it so i eouldnt cry when i scratched or beat it up beating through woods training my draht. It shoots great and fits me better than that clunky citori i had
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

I hope yildiz got better. I bought one years ago (2007ish if I remember right). I was duck hunting on Lake Greenwood and we had just shot a hen mallard, I used both shells. The safety was on, I closed the action after reloading and the gun went off. I got really lucky, If someone would have been on that side they would have been in trouble. It now sits in my safe and hasn’t had a shell put in it since.

A used Citori.

Hard to find a used quality o/u for under $1k. I have a Stoeger Condor combination as backup to the Citori - 12 and 20 gauge barrels. Great travel gun......
    “Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves.” Lord Byron

Over/unders in the $1k range are sketchy at best. You might get lucky but the chances you get lemon are much greater. Issues like triggers doubling, heavy triggers, POI issues, ejectors, safety issues, etc.

Find a quality used gun like Beretta, Browning, SKB, Rizzini. Save a little more money before you jump into an over/under. It will save you some aggravation in the long run.

I've been happy with my Franchi Instinct L 20ga. They are about $1150 new and that's about as cheap as I would go on an O/U unless it was something used from a better maker.
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

I found a used 20 citori made in the 80s on gunbroker for 800. It is in great condition, but catch is the LOP is about an inch or two longer than standard. I’m gonna get someone to whack it down and all will be well.

Quote Originally Posted by wskinner View Post
    I found a used 20 citori made in the 80s on gunbroker for 800. It is in great condition, but catch is the LOP is about an inch or two longer than standard. I’m gonna get someone to whack it down and all will be well.
    I’ll give ya $801 fer it
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

What is the LOP?

Curious to see if anyone has a newer Huglu?

I have an older one I got for Christmas about 20 years ago. It was used then so I really don’t know how old it is but it’s killed a lot of animals. My only complaint about it is that it’s pretty heavy but looking at the specs on their website it appears the weights are more inline with others now.

They are made in Turkey and imagine they are inline with Franchi would be my guess. Or is Huglu and CZ the same?

The current CZ SXS are made by Huglu. I bet the O/Us are as well.

Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post
    Curious to see if anyone has a newer Huglu?

I have an older one I got for Christmas about 20 years ago. It was used then so I really don’t know how old it is but it’s killed a lot of animals. My only complaint about it is that it’s pretty heavy but looking at the specs on their website it appears the weights are more inline with others now.

They are made in Turkey and imagine they are inline with Franchi would be my guess. Or is Huglu and CZ the same?
    I looked at a newer one yesterday and liked the feel of it. But was unsure about them or there reputation.