Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chop

Default Chop

While filming and starring in Moonshiners: Smoke Ring on Discovery+, I got the chance to meet a hog farmer by the name of Tank Jackson. Tank manages a farm that was on Wadamalaw but is now located in Kingstree.

Tank raises a lot of breeds but one in particular is the Ossabaw and he claims it to be “some of the finest swine in da land”

Got a text yesterday with a chance to give some of Ossabaw a try. I took a double cut chop and smoked it on the egg for alittle while until it hit about 135 on the internal. I pulled the chops and let them hang out on the counter while I put some sides together. This breed is special, the amount of intramuscular fat speaks to how these hogs are raised and finished before dispatch.

Double cut Ossabaw pork chop, NC sweet potatoes, brussels and a sorghum cider sauce

C04202F7-ACA0-4458-A350-1D4AF4FEF6CA.jpg

thats some right fine looking swine.
    good job
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Tank is an interesting character.
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

mighty fine lookin hog indeed. My favorite sides as well. Nice plating! Master Chef worthy.
    We gave you Corn,you gave us clap,bad trade.

Dang.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

If you hadn't let that beautiful Ossabow chop touch those sweet potatos, that would be an A+...

Wow - just, wow.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Doesn't add much to this beautiful photo, but we used to put in for quota hunts on Ossabaw. Unreal beautiful place. Hogs were everywhere. We killed them at every opportunity. GA DNR does not let hunters remove them from the Island, so they get dumped in a pit. Legend was the hogs were brought over from Spain in the 16th Century by explorers. The ones that survived the journey were released to fend for themselves. They made it fine obviously.

Word I get from Codey Elrod that works the island as the only Hog Control Tech is that the sport hunting on Ossabaw has a minimal impact on numbers. Two quota hunts annually.

He shoots them with impunity now to try to control the numbers. Evidently the hogs are wearing out sea turtle nests, endangered bird nests and even the annual fawn drop. IIRC, his record for one year was over 1500 hogs in a year.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post
    Doesn't add much to this beautiful photo, but we used to put in for quota hunts on Ossabaw. Unreal beautiful place. Hogs were everywhere. We killed them at every opportunity. GA DNR does not let hunters remove them from the Island, so they get dumped in a pit. Legend was the hogs were brought over from Spain in the 16th Century by explorers. The ones that survived the journey were released to fend for themselves. They made it fine obviously.

Word I get from Codey Elrod that works the island as the only Hog Control Tech is that the sport hunting on Ossabaw has a minimal impact on numbers. Two quota hunts annually.

He shoots them with impunity now to try to control the numbers. Evidently the hogs are wearing out sea turtle nests, endangered bird nests and even the annual fawn drop. IIRC, his record for one year was over 1500 hogs in a year.
    That is a lot of wasted meat
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Lmao,

You talking about john Nichols or Tank Jackson?

Dude doesn’t even know his own name.

King of Bullshit
    Windows Down!

Quote Originally Posted by darealdeal View Post
    That is a lot of wasted meat

GADNR's reason being is the pigs on the island carry brucellosis and pseudorabies which would not be good if transported to the mainland. A few hogs probably swim island to island or perhaps to the mainland, but the numbers are minimal. There used to be a crew that live trapped them and illegally moved them to sell . I think that has been stopped. Ossabaw is a fairly large place ( 26,000 acres +/- ) and remote to access.

A late friend that was a pretty skilled outlaw tells of the days back in the '50s that Duck hunting was ridiculous on the Ossabaw marshes. Cans and Sprigs out the wazoo. Said they filled up sacks full.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by raybird View Post
    Lmao,

You talking about john Nichols or Tank Jackson?

Dude doesn’t even know his own name.

King of Bullshit
    Or Nicholson...
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    If you hadn't let that beautiful Ossabow chop touch those sweet potatos, that would be an A+...
    The pertayterz are only touching the bone. It be aight.

Good looking meal.
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

Impressed and jealous!

Quote Originally Posted by willk View Post
    Or Nicholson...
    Damn autocorrect is stupid
    Windows Down!

I just bought some brussel sprouts...
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Quote Originally Posted by willk View Post
    Or Nicholson...
    One of the more fun people to party with, just be ready. ��
    Windows Down!

Looks good, Id eat it

what is it about wild pigs that everyone that has them hates them but very few will let anyone hunt them? 2 quota hunts a year but they are over run? damn, do 52 quota hunts a year then. Ive seen people with hunt clubs that complain about the pigs but wont let anyone hunt them in the off season. If I ran a club full of pigs I would do a pig only membership that could only be hunted outside of deer and turkey season. extra money for the club and get rid of pigs.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank1 View Post

what is it about wild pigs that everyone that has them hates them but very few will let anyone hunt them?

and get rid of pigs.
    Because that isn't how it works at the end of the day...

The state has long held a no/ low human impact stance on the island. There is only one fulltime resident as far as I know.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.