Thread: 400 mile EV Silverado announced

Default 400 mile EV Silverado announced

GM is building an electric Chevy Silverado with 400 miles of range

The electric pickup battle is just beginning

By Sean O'Kane@sokane1 Apr 6, 2021, 12:23pm EDT

General Motors just confirmed it’s making an all-electric version of the Chevy Silverado pickup truck, the company’s bestselling vehicle. The new truck will be powered by GM’s new EV battery and will offer around 400 miles on a full charge.

The company did not immediately say when the electric Silverado will go on sale, but GM president Mark Reuss said at an event on Tuesday that the company will also make commercial fleet-focused versions of the truck. GM has been teasing an electric Silverado for months now. It previously said it may not release a pickup EV until mid-decade and hadn’t officially announced the truck was coming until Tuesday.

The electric Silverado will be made at “Factory Zero,” the recently rebranded Detroit-Hamtramck plant dedicated to EVs and AVs that GM is currently retooling at a cost of more than $2 billion. It’s the same plant where GM will build the all-electric Hummer SUV and Hummer pickup.

An electric Silverado is a big step for GM and its Chevy brand — the automaker is planning to sell some 30 electric vehicles globally by 2025 — but it’s not too surprising considering that rival Ford already has an electric F-150 in the works. Ford’s electric pickup is due out next year. The Silverado is so important to GM that it’s currently selling versions of the truck that are missing a microchip that helps improve fuel economy thanks to the global semiconductor shortage.

A slew of other electric pickups are supposed to hit the market in the next few years. Rivian’s R1T pickup is due out later this year. Tesla’s Cybertruck is supposed to start shipping sometime around the end of this year or early 2022. GM’s own electric Hummer pickup is meant to go on sale around that same time.

Many other startups are working on electric pickups, too, including Lordstown Motors — which is backed by GM and is planning to manufacture its trucks at the legacy automaker’s former factory in Lordstown, Ohio. GM was at one point negotiating to take a stake in electric trucking startup Nikola, which was working on a pickup before it became mired in scandal. Before that, GM reportedly wanted an exclusive deal with Rivian, which left room for Ford to partner up with that EV startup.

The Silverado EV will undoubtedly be a flagship vehicle of the custom electric vehicle platform GM announced last year, called Ultium. Designed to be modular, the Ultium platform is what will power most of GM’s forthcoming electric vehicles. The company has promised the platform will be able to provide as much as 400 miles of range in the biggest configurations, and that the trucks built on Ultium will feature 800-volt architecture that allows for really fast charging.

GM shares hit new record on plans for electric Chevy Silverado pickup

Michael Wayland

Shares of GM achieved a new record during intraday trading Tuesday following the automaker confirming plans to produce an all-electric Chevrolet Silverado pickup.
    The truck news follows the company unveiling a new GMC Hummer EV SUV on Saturday.

GM’s stock is up about 50% this year, fueled by a steady pace of announcements regarding the company’s plans for electric vehicles.

DETROIT — Shares of General Motors closed at a new record Tuesday after the automaker confirmed plans to produce an all-electric Chevrolet Silverado pickup at an assembly plant for EVs that’s under construction in Detroit.

The automaker’s stock closed up 1.5% at $61.94 a share, setting a new closing record, after hitting an intraday high of $63.44 earlier Tuesday. Both the closing and intraday prices were all-time records since the automaker emerged from bankruptcy at the tail end of the Great Recession and started publicly trading again in 2010. GM’s market cap is $89.25 billion.

The performance of GM’s stock this year, up roughly 50%, has been driven by a steady array of announcements related to electric vehicles. It’s also validating comments made last month by GM CEO Mary Barra about the stock’s future potential.

“I think as the market begins to see all of the assets and resources General Motors brings to this transformation, I think we’re just at the beginning of where you’ll see GM’s stock move,” she said in an online discussion March 11 during The Economic Club of New York’s Women in Business event.

The electric Silverado is part of a previously announced $2.2 billion investment in the plant to produce an array of its next-generation EVs beginning later this year with an all-electric GMC Hummer pickup. Other planned vehicles for the facility include the recently unveiled Hummer EV SUV and an autonomous multi-passenger shuttle known as the Cruise Origin.

Confirmation of the Silverado EV came days after the automaker unveiled a new SUV version of its upcoming GMC Hummer EV.

Earlier this year, the company also announced a new all-electric commercial vehicle division called BrightDrop. It also announced plans to exclusively offer electric vehicles by 2035.

The new vehicles are part of GM’s plan to release 30 new EVs globally by 2025 under a $27 billion investment in electric and autonomous vehicles during that time frame. The company plans to sell at least 1 million EVs annually by then.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/06/gm-s...do-pickup.html

I like the concept of an electric truck but what the heck am I suppose to do on a long road trip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep. Looks like they are about 1600 miles short of meeting my needs...

does it come with a trailer?
    We gave you Corn,you gave us clap,bad trade.

Anyone have an idea how long it takes an EV to fully recharge?
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Longer than it takes to gas up ...
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Guarantee you I won't be buying an electric vehicle.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

trailer could hold spare batteries
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Same POS transmission as in the rest of em?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post
    Same POS transmission as in the rest of em?
    It’s a GM, the whole thing is a POS.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

How many miles if you're towing something?

Electric vehicles will just make us more dependent on China's rare earth minerals. We have rare earth minerals here, but mining is regulated here unlike in China. Go to Google Images and search China rare earth mineral mine. Absolutely nothing environmentally friendly about it. How is the disposal of all the lithium batteries going to be "green"?
    TOTAL BS!!
    DILLIGAF

Is this supposed to expand the truck market? Do they think this is what the Asheville-IPA-save-the-earth-blow-a-dirty-hippie crowd has been waiting for in order to buy a pick-up?

Quote Originally Posted by w33kender View Post
    Is this supposed to expand the truck market? Do they think this is what the Asheville-IPA-save-the-earth-blow-a-dirty-hippie crowd has been waiting for in order to buy a pick-up?
    No, it will just be the only option soon.

gotta pay a fee to recycle tires and batteries now, what will it be for these batteries?

how them boys gonna haul them tier3 boats around and such
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    trailer could hold spare batteries
    what I was thinkin. That and a generator .

Quote Originally Posted by HARV View Post
    what I was thinkin. That and a generator .
    One a them big diesels...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

hell yeah. I'd almost get to moose camp. Then I reckon I'd have to charge up and head the 400 miles home,