Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upstate Turkey field report

Default Upstate Turkey field report

The turkey forum is pretty dead. Personally, I haven’t done jack in two trips. Did hear some birds gobble one morning but getting very few pics. Anybody having much luck? Hearing/seeing more or less birds than 2020? Hope this warm weather changes my luck this weekend. Turkey poets here’s your chance...

So far it’s exactly the same as last season,
    Struck out opening morning, killed the second afternoon of the season.

I did hear a bird opening morning, gobbled twice on the roost and that was it.
    I’m supposed to be calling for someone Saturday morning, they claim to have a good spot so I’m looking forward to it. He’s a veteran deer hunter but has never killed a turkey, maybe we’ll get lucky
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

And I’m ready for Sunday when I can tote a gun again
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Hunted opening day had one gobbling like crazy and he walked by me at about 75 yards acting like I wasn’t even there. Didn’t go on the frosty mornings, went yesterday for my 1st official weekday retirement hunt. Almost didn’t go-weatherman said low of 43 and when I got up was 37. Setup in an area always good the 1st week or so. Called with not much going on until about 7:30, was thinking about moving when one gobbled about 200 yards out. I answered and 10-15 minutes later he had cut that distance in half. I answered and he is there strutting about 60 yards out. I realize I’m getting a cramp in my leg-medicine I’m taking this is normal. He goes behind a briar patch and I shift my leg, bad move he starts putting and walks off gobbling. About 30 minutes later I look down the road in opposite direction, and one is in full strut about 80 yards off, I call when he turns away and he drops from full strut and walks away-WTH?? I hang out til about 9:30 and head for the truck, about 1/2 way there I stop at the top of a big hill to catch my breath, getting ready to call and one gobbles about 60 yards away. I scramble dropping vest, decoy and all my other crap except diaphragm call get setup against a tree looking down the road bed. He gobbles again and I answer, he immediately answers and I see him in some thick cedars at 40 yards, not in road bed. I hesitate to shoot at that range as thick as it is. He’s gone from my sight In an instant, I call again he answers and is moving. I see a clearing at 20 steps and he comes right into it. Boom, never flinches when he hits the ground. 21+ lbs, 11 1/2” beard and 1” Spurs. Pretty exciting morning for me even though it was a cold start. Good 1st retirement bird, going fishing tomorrow.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Not in the upstate but it's looked good so far. Toted a gun twice and killed 2, I'm looking forward to the next couple years. I had a good hatch on my places the last two springs and am seeing good numbers.

Our club had a good hatch- there were tons of poults running around- so far the season has been sub par for the members averaging 1 killed per 10 hunts.

Upstate has been on fire for me. Been twice killed first time out, watched a buddy kill second time out.

They've been on fire in Horry. I killed (2) 4 yr old birds as quickly as I wanted and I haven't been since. I know that if I get the opportunity to pull the trigger again that I will and I am not ready to hang up my vest for the year. Last year, I called in a Edgefield bird on opening day for my FIL and never laid eyes on another mature bird for the rest of the year.

I'd like nothing more than to watch my (3) small kids take a bird, but they have little interest in going.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

In purgatory.......

How does one age a turkey to 4 years?

Been once- killed one. Birds were on fire.
    Carolina Counsel

Less birds but I've seen a couple die.
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    Man is merely a two legged locust, devouring wild lands, developing and prostituting wildlife and fisheries under the guise of "use of the resource" for tremendous profit and moving on. Will it ever end?

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Counsel View Post

Ask 2th. He knows all about it. It has something to do with spur length and beard length.
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

Default Upstate Turkey field report

Stupid amount of hunters in the Sumter National Forest. Down right dangerous.
    Last edited by britton40; 04-07-2021 at 10:01 AM.

Ever seen the rings on a tree trunk crossectioned?? Same deal with a Gobblers butthole. Just count the rest rings.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Northern Spartanburg county the bird numbers are the same. I killed a tom opening day and my 7 yo killed one Easter am. This can't hunt for ten days is bull.

I’m gonna have to agree with the can’t kill for 10 day crowd. If it’s that damm important ( I feel dumb for even typing this) don’t open the season til the 10th. I’ve got properties in 4 different counties. Taking a bird off 1 then going after another one the next day 25-50 miles away ain’t gonna change anything.

As far as turkey aging, I killed an old double beard bastard that I had pics of from 17-19 before I killed him in 19. He was a long beard each season so considering he was a jake at some point, his minimum age was 4. His spurs were barely over an inch and didn’t show to be no granddaddy of the spring woods. He did weigh 23# and had a 11.5 inch main beard tho.
    "George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them."

They don’t. Pure speculation
    80-20 Genaration

I actually went this morning and the birds gobbled good. Got on a bird about 8:00 on an old ridge logging road in some mixed timber. Fairly thick. Had set up a jake and hen in the road and I was about 15 yards back in the woods with good cover. Made a few calls and had a different bird gobble in the opposite direction. I turn around, and he gobbles 5 or 6 times on the way to my set up. About 5 minutes after I first heard him I see something red move behind a cedar about 35 yards out. He steps out on the road with trash between me and him, sees the dekes, then...put, put, put...he gone. I sat there cussing myself for putting those freakin' decoys out. Too thick to shoot him where he stepped out. Needed five more yards. I'm encouraged by the number of birds I heard and discouraged in my lack of execution.

Killed opening day and youngest son killed yesterday,so on lockdown till the 11th , but numbers are way off from normal .
    If it aint got 8 toes & a green head,it aint a duck.

My son killed a nice one over the youth weekend. I hunted the opener and the day after and saw plenty of hens and jakes. Numbers don’t seem to be off in my part of the world.