Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Safety Razors...

Quote Originally Posted by quack head 11 View Post
    I bought a safety razor once to shave my head.........safe it was not, my hemoglobin was low after that fiasco
    Reminds me, I never once shaved in my life until I arrived at basic training. Shaving with a bx razor at 4 am while getting screamed at. I’m surprised I didn’t hit my jugular

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “… duckhunting stands alone as an outdoor discipline. It has a tang and spirit shared by no other sport—a philosophy compounded of sleet, the winnow of unseen wings, and the reeks of marsh mud and wet wool. No other sport has so many theories, legends, casehardened disciples and treasured memories.”
    --John Madson, The Mallard, 1960

"Never trust a duck hunter who cares more about his success than his dog's."

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Why don't you do us all a favor and pull your bottom lip up over the top of your head and swallow real hard.
    I’m offended that is not real nice behavior.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

I feel like I’m pretty fancy, but until seeing this thread, I didn’t know that expensive razors existed. I thought everyone used some version of a Gillette

I also shave in the shower and don’t use shaving cream
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Look at the Rockwell stainless razor.

Sensor excel, I do rotate between fancy shave creams though.. I also enjoy mud masks, and I take a lot of drawn out baths. I treat Highstrung.

Time to go all in...

https://www.razoremporium.com/1958-d...m-revamp-rare/

"Here is your chance to own one of the most sought after and rarest of all Gillette razors. Indulge yourself with the highly prized Gillette "Red Dot" $1.95 Adjustable safety razor. Note the base plate is like a Gillette Toggle. These razors were well built and give wonderful shaves. The razor is adjustable so as to customize your shave. The setting range 1-9. One being the most mild shave and nine being the most aggressive. The size and weight of these razors provide great balance and makes shaving a pleasure.

This tool is made of brass plated with new gorgeous Rhodium. The TTO knob works great and the doors open smoothly. Great care was taken in the restoration, cleaning and sanitation of this razor. A perfect razor for a perfect shave! Everything opens smooth and closes tight. If you are a collector don't let this one get away. Another shiny razor from the stellar line of Gillette razors.

This razor has undergone our full Revamp service which includes our Tune Up service. Metal resurfacing, mirror-finish, replating, mechanical inspectiong, painting, lubricating, blade gap alignment. Razor arrives 100% Shave Ready and with proper care will last another 60+ years!

Country of Manufacture: USA
    Type: Double Edge Razor
    Finish: Rhodium
    Date: D1
    Condition: Cleaned, Sanitized and Shave Ready
    Grade: Revamp
    Imperfections: As seen in pics
    Included: Razor

History: The Gillette $1.95 Adjustable has been dubbed the "Fatboy" in relation to its successor, the Slim Adjustable. It was Gillette's first good attempt at an adjustable razor and has been met with favorable reviews both in the 50's and today. "

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    I thought everyone used some version of a Gillette
    What's a replacement blade for Gillette cost?
    88FA604A-2D1D-4AA3-9025-10C2E1A37DAC.jpg

I looked at it as a cost saving plus I can get a smoother shave with a safety razor than I can anything else.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

I got to using my grandads Gillette after I looked at the cost savings myself. Blades are next to nothing on Amazon, can be recycled and has 0 plastic in the packaging. I use Astro blades as well. My everyday soap is the Van Der Hagen from Walmart. If you want to support a southern soap company check out Stirling Soap. They sell razors and brushes too but I don’t anything about them. https://www.stirlingsoap.com/

Don't over complicate things. I still use my gillette they sent me on my 18th birthday.
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

I’ll tell y’all how to save money shaving,
    DONT!

Damn, 18 already!
    More fuel = more boost!!

Quote Originally Posted by duckcommander727 View Post
    Reminds me, I never once shaved in my life until I arrived at basic training. Shaving with a bx razor at 4 am while getting screamed at. I’m surprised I didn’t hit my jugular

I would have been doomed if I had a drill instructor screaming at me
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.

I prefer Van Der Hagen. Not expensive but it’s a really nice razor with double edge blades.

Quote Originally Posted by KRT View Post
    Damn, 18 already!
    Yep. Unreal.

Some years ago I got fed up with having to pay exorbitant amounts of money for blades so I decided to buy a safety razor. Like most men I had watched my father shave when I was a boy and he always used the same razor, a Gillette Super Speed that he bought in the forties. So, off to Ebay where I bought several and decided that I liked an adjustable Slim the most. I knew that you had to be careful with the damn thing, Dad taught me that, but I was still surprised by the learning curve. If you're used to using a modern multi blade razor and not paying particular attention when shaving, the safety razor will change all that. You have to respect it and pay attention or you are going to cut the living hell out of yourself. I found that in order to get the best results you have to find a blade that works for you, so trial and error.
    \"Free your mind, your ass will follow\"

Maybe KRT can give it a nice lift after you buy it for him or Stump can give it a nice paint job as well... Edit to.... Grow some hair maybe and don't shave lol haha I had no clue this was an option...
    Last edited by darealdeal; 04-07-2021 at 07:22 AM.
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Quote Originally Posted by CreekGeek View Post
    I got to using my grandads Gillette after I looked at the cost savings myself. Blades are next to nothing on Amazon, can be recycled and has 0 plastic in the packaging. I use Astro blades as well. My everyday soap is the Van Der Hagen from Walmart. If you want to support a southern soap company check out Stirling Soap. They sell razors and brushes too but I don’t anything about them. https://www.stirlingsoap.com/
    I’m actually using my granddads gold Gillette too. I like the “Blade” brand at CVS. I’ve tried a few others and them seem to give me more skin irritation for some reason.
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

All this talk about straight razors has reignited my desire to learn to use a straight razor. Anyone ever ventured in that direction. Is it worth it over a safety razor. I can’t get more than 3-4 shaves out of a drugstore razor Gillette you name it. My face must be the most sensitive skin on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by banded_mallard View Post
    All this talk about straight razors has reignited my desire to learn to use a straight razor. Anyone ever ventured in that direction. Is it worth it over a safety razor. I can’t get more than 3-4 shaves out of a drugstore razor Gillette you name it. My face must be the most sensitive skin on the planet.
    If you make the jump to a straight razor, see post # 38. You gonna need it.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.