Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Boat Insurance

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    Hutto should be getting some phone calls this week.
    He is just looking out for his livelihood. The more insurance there is to sue the more they make.
    cut\'em

Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Hell I make a living selling insurance. Fine by me but I’d wager over 70% of boats 50HP and up have insurance. I just don’t see it needs to be law. That’ll lead to losing your drivers license etc for no insurance. I just don’t think uninsured boats are that big of a problem. And based on the number of uninsured vehs I see in wrecks , won’t make a damn bit of difference.
    I don't disagree

So how do you feel about licensure for boat operators? Too much government? Just had this conversation with someone last week. In SC you need neither insurance nor a license to operate a boat. An old salt once told me, "all you need is enough money to buy one or someone stupid enough to let your drive one" to operate a 40' boat. Ironically the only way to even test for a USCG License is to have proven that you have qualified time operating a vessel before you can sit for the license of that same vessel.

I am not one for more laws or layers of bureaucracy and I assure you that the marine dealers are not advocating for licenses, but it does seem a bit disingenuous that cars need both licenses and insurance and boats do not. MG
    Dum Spiro Spero

Short answer, I don't believe a license to operate a boat should be required. I also dont support the argument for a boaters license because you are required to have a license to operate an automobile, this are two totally separate animals and should not be confused.
    We're Americans by the grace of God and rights are enumerated by the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. Anything else is called Freedom and we should not give up any of our God given freedoms without a fight.
    What's next after mandated boat insurance? Life insurance? There are literally 100s of thousands of people that die each year with little to no life insurance. ( I made that up but you get the point)
    Where does it stop? Mandatory to have your teeth cleaned once a year?

I'll take Freedom for $100 Alex.
    Last edited by scatter shot; 04-05-2021 at 09:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by scatter shot View Post
    Short answer, I don't believe a license to operate a boat should be required. I also dont support the argument for a boaters license because you are required to have a license to operate an automobile, this are two totally separate animals and should not be confused.
    We're Americans by the grace of God and rights are enumerated by the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. Anything else is called Freedom and we should not give up any of our God given freedoms without a fight.
    What's next after mandated boat insurance? Life insurance? There are literally 100s of thousands of people that die each year with little to no life insurance. ( I made that up but you get the point)
    Where does it stop? Mandatory to have your teeth cleaned once a year?

I'll take Freedom for $100 Alex.
    2th would like that deal!!
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    Why would boats require $50,000 insurance when cars are $15,000?
    You beat me to it. Why is that? All the morons out there texting and driving and they only have 15K of insurance. Our household has been the culprit of that. One guy hit a parked car, ours as we were getting out, a fire hydrant and then a tree that fell on a brand new 150. His, rather his mom's, 15K coverage didn't begin to cover it. Ours picked it our tab.

EDIT: At the time of the accident I was tolkd 15K. When did it go to 25K?
    Last edited by rp; 04-05-2021 at 11:03 AM.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

Minimum limits were raised to 25/50/25 on 01/01/2006

Regards to people that carry minimum limits on their auto or don't carry any insurance on their boats, it doesn't affect me because I have the option to purchase coverage that protects me from the googans. If they have insurance and run into me that's great. If they dont have coverage, or enough coverage it's no problem based on the decisions I've made to protect my family.
    I would be happy to help any of you guys that have any questions.
    Last edited by scatter shot; 04-05-2021 at 11:16 AM.

Waaay more ATV accidents each year than boats.

Regards to people that carry minimum limits on their auto or don't carry any insurance on their boats, it doesn't affect me because I have the option to purchase coverage that protects me from the googans. If they have insurance and run into me that's great. If they dont have coverage, or enough coverage it's no problem based on the decisions I've made to protect my family.
    I would be happy to help any of you guys that have any questions.
    Thanks for you help already on the homeowners and cars! Getting my stuff together already to send in for the boat then saw this haha!!
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Waaay more ATV accidents each year than boats.
    Correct- I have crashed ATV,s and dirt bikes 200x more than my boat- that's a conservative number. 1 boat crash-(Santee speed bump at 70) and hundreds of off road and on track crashes- broke ribs 3 times and ankle once in last 5 years- sucks getting old, I didn't used to break stuff when i crashed.

ATV, golf carts and jet skis account for a very large number of serious bodily injury and fatal accidents. Regardless of the age of the operators, kids or adults, many perceive these vehicles as toys and have no concept of how powerful and dangerous they are until something bad happens.
    Kids on golf carts are certainly a recipe for injury or death, 30 year old males running a 500cc ATV wide open is fun until you roll one end over end, I've seen it all over the years, I'll say something when it's appropriate but I wonder if it makes a difference. Some folks have to learn the hard way.
    It's sad really but this all comes back to the freedoms we enjoy as American citizens to be stupid.

Tons of info for those that seek it.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=atv+an...b0ed5a86b86928

https://www.bing.com/search?q=golf+c...ear&FORM=QSRE3
    Last edited by scatter shot; 04-05-2021 at 01:30 PM.

I am just curious, why make the starting line at 50 HP. How bout we have required insurance starting at 150HP for cars? Why 50? I've seen some write good screw ups with boats with less than 50.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

Quote Originally Posted by rp View Post
    I am just curious, why make the starting line at 50 HP. How bout we have required insurance starting at 150HP for cars? Why 50? I've seen some write good screw ups with boats with less than 50.
    Unless i read it wrong its above 50 so if you have a 50 or less you dont have to have it. Surprised it wasnt 25 and over so they get all the rednecks
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Quote Originally Posted by rp View Post
    I had the same question. Why not all powered boats? What about jet skis? They are the worse IMHO.
    Become one with nature then marinate it.

Minimum limits were raised to 25/50/25 on 01/01/2006
    And the truck required to pull my boat costs $70k.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    And the truck required to pull my boat costs $70k.
    They selling 1500 series for $70k now

Yep!
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

For what it worth, a client was in the office the other day and we started talking about boats and crap as it happens every time he shows. Got to the subject of insurance because we were talking about Mercury motors going out of warranty. He said his insurance covers mechanical breakdowns. I believe he said he was using Travelers. Something to look at I suppose. Client boat is mush larger than my swamp rig. I believe mine would sink just putting one of his in my boat.