Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2020 GMC 1500 4X4 KRT Question

Default 2020 GMC 1500 4X4 KRT Question

Just put a new transmission in the wife's tahoe at 76k miles. Of course, GM wouldn't cover the work...something about the cause was outside of the powertrain warranty. WTF ever. It's that damned thermostat thing that KRT has been talking about. Anyways, it will be for sale once she drives the 24k mile warranty on the new transmission. Don't want to deal with this again, but it looks like my new GMC is headed down that road already. 20k miles, and I felt the "shudder vibration" around 30 mph that I had been feeling in the tahoe before the transmission went out. What do I need to do here? I assume whatever you would do would come out of my pocket, as GM won't fix shit that doesn't work from their factory. I'm still currently under warranty for everything. But I know from experience that once this shudder starts, it don't do nothing but get worse.

First, I would take it to GM and tell them you feel a shudder. They should change the fluid and add an additive. After that I would delete the trans cooler thermostat.

If you own a 2014 or newer GM I would delete the trans cooler thermostat like yesterday. You're slowly burning up your trannsmission. Pro tip....
    Last edited by KRT; 03-30-2021 at 01:39 PM.
    More fuel = more boost!!

Pro tip hell, that’s Charlie Daniels level tippage right there.

Kevin, what’s the ballpark cost of eliminating said thermostat?

Quote Originally Posted by KRT View Post
    First, I would take it to GM and tell them you feel a shudder. They should change the fluid and add an additive. After that I would delete the trans cooler thermostat.

If you own a 2014 or newer GM I would delete the trans cooler thermostat like yesterday. You're slowly burning up your trannsmission. Pro tip....

Kevin, is this also applicable to the post-2014 HD series trucks as well??

I got a 2019 and have had ZERO problems with it. Just sayin
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

I cannot wrap my mind around why people are still buying those fucking things......
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Quote Originally Posted by KRT View Post

I thought someone mentioned few weeks ago that GM wound not cover their tranny shudder under warranty because the owner had not done the 50,000 tranny flush and change fluid? Any ideas on this?
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Steelin' Ducks is the KRT of suppressors and such.

Or, you could trade it before it Pops and get a Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot14 View Post
    Just put a new transmission in the wife's tahoe at 76k miles. Of course, GM wouldn't cover the work...something about the cause was outside of the powertrain warranty. WTF ever. It's that damned thermostat thing that KRT has been talking about. Anyways, it will be for sale once she drives the 24k mile warranty on the new transmission. Don't want to deal with this again, but it looks like my new GMC is headed down that road already. 20k miles, and I felt the "shudder vibration" around 30 mph that I had been feeling in the tahoe before the transmission went out. What do I need to do here? I assume whatever you would do would come out of my pocket, as GM won't fix shit that doesn't work from their factory. I'm still currently under warranty for everything. But I know from experience that once this shudder starts, it don't do nothing but get worse.

According to my readings on the WWW the 2020s already have the new trans fluid from Mobil 1 and should not be shuddering. The 2015-2018s had a fluid that allowed moisture to build up. My 2020 just hit 20k miles. I’ll be taking it to KRT sometime this summer for a level, tires, and to dump the trans thermostat. I’ll let him flush the trans if he deems it necessary. I’d trust his work far more than the 18yo on lube duty at the Chevy place, even if it cost me a few bucks more.

Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post
    I cannot wrap my mind around why people are still buying those fucking things......
    Yep, still fighting GM a year later. Truly a shitty company.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Steelin' Ducks View Post
    I thought someone mentioned few weeks ago that GM wound not cover their tranny shudder under warranty because the owner had not done the 50,000 tranny flush and change fluid? Any ideas on this?
    They would not cover the transmission fluid change bc I had 52,000 miles and routine maintenance schedule says change fluid at 50,000.

By the way, it has not corrected the issue. I need to delete the thermostat etc but don’t know anyone around mount pleasant/charleston that could or would do it and I HATE the idea of messing with stuff that voids warranty but not sure I have much of a choice. It is absolute utter bullshit that I am concerned about a transmission on a 70k+ vehicle at 50,000 miles. I used to have to try to break transmissions and now they come courtesy that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gimme a T, Gimme an O, Gimme a Y....etc
    At least I'm housebroken.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Nitz View Post
    Gimme a T, Gimme an O, Gimme a Y....etc
    But you hate Amerikkka if you buy a Toyota.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by Islandguy85 View Post
    They would not cover the transmission fluid change bc I had 52,000 miles and routine maintenance schedule says change fluid at 50,000.

By the way, it has not corrected the issue. I need to delete the thermostat etc but don’t know anyone around mount pleasant/charleston that could or would do it and I HATE the idea of messing with stuff that voids warranty but not sure I have much of a choice. It is absolute utter bullshit that I am concerned about a transmission on a 70k+ vehicle at 50,000 miles. I used to have to try to break transmissions and now they come courtesy that way.

Call North Area Transmissions on Dorchester Rd- they have been working on my transmissions for 3 generations- it is a black family owned business and they have never done me or anyone I know wrong. They were outside the navy base until the base closed- everybody used them.
    The owner is a deer and duck hunter and may even be a member here-IDK-he can and most likely will do the delete for you.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    But you hate Amerikkka if you buy a Toyota.
    Damn straight. Screw the zipperheads.

Dang slope trucks aint no count
    At least I'm housebroken.

i'll be damned if i didn't notice this shudder with my '18 yesterday and again this morning.....haven't searched enough, but is this delete a diy job?......30 - 60 mins?....is there a tutorial for getting this done?......thought i'd eliminated most of the gremlins with the dod delete and now i've come across this

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Nitz View Post
    Dang slope trucks aint no count
    Evidently them 'Muricun made GM's are a lot worse.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by cleancutredneck View Post
    i'll be damned if i didn't notice this shudder with my '18 yesterday and again this morning.....haven't searched enough, but is this delete a diy job?......30 - 60 mins?....is there a tutorial for getting this done?......thought i'd eliminated most of the gremlins with the dod delete and now i've come across this
    Youtube has a few videos. Im not comfortable messing with my transmission and need to have it done.