Thread: cedar island 12/27 pics added

my brother and myself killed 5 buffle heads and 4 blue/broad bills.

This is was the funnest hunt i have ever been on. We had a 30 - 40 mph wind and a lot of birds worked our decoys. all birds were shot with their feet down. after we had our 4 scaup, we had to sit there and watch flock after flock land in our decoys. It was awesome!!! Of course we missed when the redheads came in and also missed 2 drake scoters.

We had a wonderful guide, and I think our hunt was well worth $125. He let us hunt until 1:00 and had us back to the hotel by 2:00 for check out. If anybody wants to have a great hunt that isnt too far of a drive i would highly recommend hunting Cedar Island.

I will post pics when i find my cord for the camera!
    TEAM MONCKS CORNER MARINE<br /><br />17\' Excel W/ 45 HYPERDRIVE<br />PIONEER 220 Baysport F250 yamaha

What was your guides name?

Steve Goodwin

I think one of the things that made this hunt so fun is that the guide leaves you, I like to do things on my own and it was nice to be dropped off and left alone. He would come check on us every few hours and leave us alone. He was also helpful because we are unexperienced with hunting these types of birds, he gave us a couple of tips and things to look for and let us have at it.

Now I understand why the diver hunter love shooting these birds so much! Makes me want to build a stake blind here and give it a try!!
    TEAM MONCKS CORNER MARINE<br /><br />17\' Excel W/ 45 HYPERDRIVE<br />PIONEER 220 Baysport F250 yamaha

any do it yourself hunting up there or is it all guides with stakeblinds/cant be within 500yds thing?? maybe i'll drive up this sunday and get a hunt in
    Quote Originally Posted by trentsmith View Post
    Honestly I don't remember why I don't like you but I do remember that I don't like you.

For $125 a day I'll take you around here to shoot bills and buffleheads!
    80-20 Genaration

Duckman

If you can put me on birds like that I'll pay double and buy you breakfast!! Hell I'll pick you up, drive the boat, pick up/put out decoys and all!!!

I stopped by and talked to Goodwin this summer when I was up there on vacation. He is not a transplant! Born and raised down east and it shows when you talk to him. He's spent many days on the sound fishing/hunting. Never hunted with him, but I had an enjoyable time talking. Very nice guy!
    Ducks Commander

I had a good time hunting with with Steve and Jeff also. This was my first year hunting C.I. and I def. will be back. We didn't do much with the birds, but you can't control the weather. Went with a buddy of mine from Conway that has hunted with them for years. Really laid back guys that will help you out in anyway they can. My dad had the gout and Steve also, so I helped them as much as possible. I know personally how bad the gout hurts. It was nice seeing there two 8 and 15 year old kids running all over the place putting decoys out. Those kids don't know how good they've got it.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    31-28, 12-0, 3-2, 4-2!!!!!!!!!

sprig

I saw 2 groups of hunters at the hotel with big jon boats and some MLB layout boats. I talked to one of them before the hunt and he says he usually does very well hunting on his own there. I asked the guide about setting up on some of the barrier islands, but he says that they are all privately owned. I would like to try hunting on my own up there, it would be pretty neat.

Aricks

i agree Steve and his brother are some great guys, i will definately go back, hopefully once more this season!!

MCM, Go for it man...just take an experienced word of advice, plan your hunt the day before and map out the channel on GPS to follow it the next day. Unless you have a jet drive and a shallow draft boat it is very difficult to navigate it blind.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton