Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mileage Tax on the table

Default Mileage Tax on the table

Vehicle mileage tax could be on the table in infrastructure talks, Buttigieg says

PUBLISHED FRI, MAR 26 2021

Pete Buttigieg, the Transportation secretary, said a vehicle mileage tax could be on the table in infrastructure talks.
    He contended that President Joe Biden’s forthcoming plans to rebuild the nation’s roads, bridges and waterways would lead to a net gain for the U.S. taxpayer.

“I’m hearing a lot of appetite to make sure that there are sustainable funding streams,” Buttigieg said. A mileage tax “shows a lot of promise.”

Transportation Sec. Pete Buttigieg on how to fund infrastructure plan
    A vehicle mileage tax could be on the table in talks about how to finance the White House’s expected multi-trillion-dollar infrastructure proposal, according to Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg.

Buttigieg, who spoke with CNBC’s Kayla Tausche on Friday, also contended that President Joe Biden’s forthcoming plans to rebuild the nation’s roads, bridges and waterways would lead to a net gain for the U.S. taxpayer and not a net outlay.

“When you think about infrastructure, it’s a classic example of the kind of investment that has a return on that investment,” he said. “That’s one of many reasons why we think this is so important. This is a jobs vision as much as it is an infrastructure vision, a climate vision and more.”

He also weighed in on several potential revenue-generating options to fund the project. He spoke fondly of a mileage levy, which would tax travelers based on the distance of the journey instead of on how much gasoline they consume.

“A so-called vehicle-miles-traveled tax or mileage tax, whatever you want to call it, could be a way to do it,” he said.

Democrats have slowly pivoted away from a gasoline tax in favor of a mileage tax amid a simultaneous, climate friendly effort to encourage consumers to drive electric cars.

“I’m hearing a lot of appetite to make sure that there are sustainable funding streams,” the Transportation secretary said. A mileage tax “shows a lot of promise if we believe in that so-called user-pays principle: The idea that part of how we pay for roads is you pay based on how much you drive.”

He added: “You’re hearing a lot of ‘maybe’ here because all of these things need to be balanced and could be part of the mix.”

The Transportation secretary’s comments came as President Joe Biden prepares to detail during a trip to Pittsburgh next week sweeping infrastructure proposals that could cost $3 trillion to $4 trillion.

In the first news conference of his presidency, Biden on Thursday said that rebuilding U.S. physical and technological infrastructure was his next priority, critical not only to efforts to restore the economy, but also to remain competitive with rivals like China.

Buttigieg added Friday that the White House is considering a revival of Build America Bonds, a special class of municipals bonds first introduced in the Obama administration with interest costs financed by the U.S. Treasury.

His remarks on Friday came a day after he implored Congress on Thursday to make a “generational investment” to improve the nation’s roads, bridges and waterways, and combat climate change and racial inequity.

“There is near-universal recognition that a broader recovery will require a national commitment to fix and transform America’s infrastructure,” Buttigieg told the the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/26/butt...structure.html

WTF So tax me when I buy my vehicle, tax me when I own my vehicle, and now tax me if I use the damn thing. Our forefathers would fucking hate us!

That’s what we need, another tax to be siphoned off and misappropriated.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

If taxes are necessary, use taxes are the best variety. Pay for your share of the resource. If this will replace the gas tax then all on here should support it... if it doesnt well then yeah, not a fan.
    "The best things in life make you sweaty"
    - Edgar Allen Poe

“We need the tonic of wildness...At the same time that we are earnest to explore and learn all things, we require that all things be mysterious and unexplorable, that land and sea be indefinitely wild, unsurveyed and unfathomed by us...”
    ― Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Dawhoo View Post
    If taxes are necessary, use taxes are the best variety. Pay for your share of the resource. If this will replace the gas tax then all on here should support it... if it doesnt well then yeah, not a fan.
    It won’t replace it that’s not how DC works. I refuse to support any tax on something I have to pay sales and property tax on no matter if I drive 3 miles a year or 100k.

How about they tax Walmart for the roads around them that have heavy usage due to them being there. They want to push us to the city’s we should push businesses back to the burbs or the sticks in my case. Make Amazon pay for all the delivery trucks on the road that they profit from.
    Last edited by Woodiewacker82; 03-26-2021 at 07:21 PM.

Funny how Biden promised to only raise taxes on the wealthy. Wonder how many wealthy people drive an hour or more each way everyday just so they can afford to make the payments on their third home?

I average 35k a year. A lot of people more than that. I’m fucked and our upstate roads suck except for 85 south of white horse road.
    Go Tigers!!!

50k/ year ..... and yes. BS!!
    “The price of freedom is eternal vigilance” - Thomas Jefferson

Bunch of freaking morons in the government. Most of you know I retired about 4 weeks ago and I’ve been trying to get my youngest son set up in the trucking business. He has been driving for a local company and decided he wants to be on his on. We bought a semi and started the paperwork for him to have his own trucking company that can haul anywhere in the US. You talk about a Cluster, we have been working on it 3 weeks now, finally hired an outside company to help and I think we are still a couple weeks away. This is the type of regulations that will turn into the same type of BS, have to monitor how many miles, each state, etc. Total stupidity.
    Last edited by Otter 1200; 03-26-2021 at 08:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerbdog View Post
    Funny how Biden promised to only raise taxes on the wealthy. Wonder how many wealthy people drive an hour or more each way everyday just so they can afford to make the payments on their third home?
    They take their Gulfstreams to their 3rd home. Fkum
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

We already have a mileage tax. It's called a gas tax that increases with the amount of fuel you use.

Y’all hadn’t even thought about how they are going to implement this and I promise you it won’t be self-reporting by the taxpayer....

On the bright side at least the Tesla owner who has been riding for free will get to share in the road cost.
    Last edited by Southernduck; 03-27-2021 at 05:02 AM.
    cut\'em

If the government has enough money to send to other countries, we are already being over taxed.

Quote Originally Posted by Cwaysvt View Post
    If the government has enough money to send to other countries, we are already being over taxed.
    Bingo!

How many miles of roads will we build in other countries for every single mile here in the states?

Quote Originally Posted by Cwaysvt View Post
    TRUTH!

Unfortunately all of the proceeds from this tax would only go to the extra administration created to govern this. Probably at a deficit too.

Quote Originally Posted by ColumbiaCornbread View Post
    Unfortunately all of the proceeds from this tax would only go to the extra administration created to govern this. Probably at a deficit too.
    Absofuckinglutely
    Last edited by Woodiewacker82; 03-27-2021 at 04:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Southernduck View Post
    Y’all hadn’t even thought about how they are going to implement this and I promise you it won’t be self-reporting by the taxpayer....

On the bright side at least the Tesla owner who has been riding for free will get to share in the road cost.
    A few insurance companies have tested this already. Putting GPS trackers for “safe driving discounts”.

The idea of a mileage tax tracked via GPS tracker installed in your ride has been around for a while. You buy gas in SC but drive into and out of or through another state without buying gas and that state gets their roads used but no money for it. So install a GPS and you get a mileage tax bill from Georgia, NC etc.

No one has had the stones to even shed public light on such a tyrannical plan until now.

Who installs the trackers? All new rides will probably come with them pre installed if they don’t already.

Actually they most likely won’t need to install a thing. We carry GPS trackers in our pockets every day.