Thread: Primer bulb?

Default Primer bulb?

Just recently did some mods to the boat and added some new fuel lines. Most of my fuel lines are 1/4 inch fittings and i replaced some lines with 5/16 lines. Could that be the reason im losing prime on the bulb? Or maybe the diaphragm in the bulb is bad? I can pump fuel into the fuel filter then it will slowly leak down.
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

Is your engine starving for fuel while running?

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernWake View Post
    Is your engine starving for fuel while running?
    Not really i dont belive. I guess i need to let ut run for awhile and see if it shuts down. The little filter in the side if the motor goes empty. I just figured it should have some fuel in it. I feel certain the motor will shut down though

New tank? Did you pop open the little ball valve vent in cap.

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

The filter on the inside should be full.

Do you have an air leak on any other line? Not that expensive to change them all out to the same line. Plus if one section needed replacing the rest is probably soon

What type of motor and year? Fuel pumps go bad as well but guessing not if the issue just occurred after the fuel line change.

It would be worth the $7 to change the bulb out as well. Only times I have replaced mine is when I see they “collapse” when running. Always keep a few on board

Its on a mud motor. The bulb will fill the filter then it sucks it back down. Aluminum gas tank. Maybe the bulb is bad. Ordered a new fuel pump for it but not sure its the issue seeing how i can pump fuel to the filter full then just leaks back down. Could a loose gas cap be a issue?
    Last edited by coot nasty; 03-23-2021 at 06:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by coot nasty View Post
    Its on a mud motor. The bulb will fill the filter then it sucks it back down. Aluminum gas tank. Maybe the bulb is bad. Ordered a new fuel pump for it but not sure its the issue seeing how i can pump fuel to the filter full then just leaks back down. Could a loose gas cap be a issue?
    I have the same problem with mine but i removed my bulb,tipped it upside down and everything else besides replacing the fuel pump. My filters run dry but the engine will slowly fill up the filter when accelerating but suck it dry at idle.i can hear my fuel pump keep priming itself so i think its about to take a crap.

Quote Originally Posted by coot nasty View Post
    I do not think a loose fuel cap is your issue. The fuel pick up is at the bottom of the tank. Loose fuel cap would only further vent and also cause future fuel contamination

1. Really should use the proper size fittings. 2. Get yourself an OEM (Yamaha) named primer bulb, the off the shelf ones at the big box stores suck. 3. Get the crimp on hose clamps that form a complete circle around the hose, make sure all your hose connections are tight. 4. Try to keep your primer bulb in the vertical position, air can get trapped in it otherwise.

On an old john boat, I had clear hose so I could make sure there were no bubbles or air leaks. It worked great but the material gets hard over time.

I wouldn't go to the trouble of replacing hoses and not replace the bulb.

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    1. Really should use the proper size fittings. 2. Get yourself an OEM (Yamaha) named primer bulb, the off the shelf ones at the big box stores suck. 3. Get the crimp on hose clamps that form a complete circle around the hose, make sure all your hose connections are tight. 4. Try to keep your primer bulb in the vertical position, air can get trapped in it otherwise.
    All good advice

Is your fuel pump electric or pulse driven?

Did you do anything with the fuel lines between the engine and the bulb?

I would tear all the line out and run the same size as stated above. Less connections the better. When I replaced the lines on my GTR, I went with 5/16" lines without that ethanol liner in them. That will cause more problems than it is worth down the road. Also made sure to use a factory Briggs fuel filter. I tried some from auto part stores in a pitch and they always let me down.

Thanks guys it ended up being the primer bulb.

Bet it wasn't 7 dollars, I think last one I bought it was lined with gold.
    Low country redneck who moved north

Those generic primer bulbs don’t work for shit. We use either the quicksilver or Yamaha bulbs.