Thread: Bald Cypress Tree Planting

Default Bald Cypress Tree Planting

Have a property with a pond and would like to plant some bald cypress trees in it. The water where I'm wanting to plant the trees would be roughly 2' deep and would never dry up. I'm thinking about getting 6-7' trees (wanting to plant maybe 5-7 trees) and was wondering how anyone on here has planted them before? I've heard that you can plant them in direct water and they do fine and then I've heard to opposite. I've seen them in plenty of swamps in 3-5' water so it seems like they would fair well but was looking for any helpful information. Thanks in advance!

I too have wondered about this.

Interested to hear the responses.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

My understanding is they will live but may not thrive.
    Seedlings do not germinate unless conditions dry enough to facilitate germination so there-within lies the theory regarding cypress establishment.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

I planted 100 seedlings around some beaver ponds and in a swamp we own. Damn beavers have eaten almost all of them, I have a few right at the waters edge that keep coming back just to get chopped off again and again.
    It was a three dog night, and I ain't got but one dog, me and him both damn near froze.

I've pulled up three small ones by the roots from other places and stuck them in or around a pond at my house. Two are in the water, one is on the edge. All three have lived and are growing. It did look all three died for a while, but they all greened up the following spring after planting.

all i know is the fella I bought my place from had run a hose all the way around the 6acre pond so his trees would get watered without being IN the water.

come get a branch. stick it in the ground. voila. cypress tree.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post

All there is to it, for the 20th consecutive year...

yea but i didnt notice till later that wob posted it first.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

The cypress post on SCDUCKS is as sure a sign of Spring as ABB's Blackbirds...

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    all i know is the fella I bought my place from had run a hose all the way around the 6acre pond so his trees would get watered without being IN the water.

Cypress trees on land collect no bass.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

We have planted them on the levee by our camp in S. La. I'd advise not to plant them suckers where you need to mow the grass, those little knees are tough on a mower blade and vice versa.

One tree has soared, I'm guessing from all the duck, fish and hog blood.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks for the info guys.