Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dog Food - Fresh/People Food

My wife's little dog will happily eat other dog's shit so I ain't to worried about what kind of dog food she gets.
    "My resume is the trail of destruction behind me. " Bucky Katt

Quote Originally Posted by abarill View Post
    LOL Brandon y’all got that SDMA test yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by Islandguy85 View Post
    Lord help us.
    Please advise if I misrepresented any information about the SDMA test, which at the time it was first used on our dog (4.5 years ago), we were told it was "fairly new in the US".

https://www.idexx.com/en/veterinary/...ratories/sdma/

Note that I've also edited my post regarding the second dog on venison, et al, as he did not originally have a kidney issue like I was thinking, but since it's been quite a few years back I had forgotten the timeline of what things went wrong with him when. Obviously one wouldn't ordinarily want to use a high-protein meat diet with a kidney condition.
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 03-19-2021 at 03:14 PM.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

I fed my dog a can of chicken noodle soup this morning. She seemed to like it

My wife boils chicken for our Brittany. Spoiled!
    Bluetick

Some studies out about the harms of grain free food. I know it’s off topic for this thread. Go to a pet shop and you have to search harder for something with grain it than without. Probably low risk but just trying to provide information if some people haven’t heard.

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    Please advise if I misrepresented any information about the SDMA test, which at the time it was first used on our dog (4.5 years ago), we were told it was "fairly new in the US".

https://www.idexx.com/en/veterinary/...ratories/sdma/

Note that I've also edited my post regarding the second dog on venison, et al, as he did not originally have a kidney issue like I was thinking, but since it's been quite a few years back I had forgotten the timeline of what things went wrong with him when. Obviously one wouldn't ordinarily want to use a high-protein meat diet with a kidney condition.
    Your good. SDMA is a relatively newer test and is available through any veterinarian. If you are running annual wellness lab work on your dog they will generally include this in the panel. Idexx was first to bring it to market in vet med but it had been around on the human side for a while. I work for Antech (other vet lab company) and we offer the test as well. We developed an algorithm a year or two ago that is currently only used on cats but I am fairly certain we are working to figure it out in dogs too. This algorithm predicts the future onset of kidney disease with greater than 95% accuracy up to 2 years prior to any loss of renal function.

I am not a big fan of homemade diets. If you are using a reputable food brand those companies have put a lot of work into figuring out what your dog needs and eliminates you inadvertently not providing your dog with essential nutrients for a healthy life. Royal Canin as well as some others have a variety of diets designed for animals with kidney disease.

For me personally, I fed purina pro plan when my lab was alive and never had any issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had a run in recently with a feller what was apparently the CEO of a Charleston-based raw dog food company called We Feed Raw. Didn't pay to much attention to their product, but never realized that was a thing.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by willyworm; 04-23-2021 at 11:48 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft