Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog Food - Fresh/People Food

Default Dog Food - Fresh/People Food

Anyone have any experience with feeding their dogs "real" food? Whether it be homemade (rice, veggie, meat scraps, etc) or the newer delivery kind? I hear the Farmers Dog radio ads all the time and just wonder if it's worth it.

I currently have a 6.5 year old Brittany and she is in very good health as far as I can tell and per our recent vet check up. I used to have 2 English Pointers (brothers) that both had to be put down at 10.5 or so years due to kidney/liver cancer. It was terrible. I've often wondered if it was food related. From what I heard then, the rest of their litter was fine at the time but I didn't reach out again after that.

Feel free to remove your mask when you are kind enough to type a reply.

Thanks in advance.

Rice and chicken mixed together when my hound was sick but other than that she eats dog food. I've come to find you can spend as much or little as you want with dog food. Protein is the key with any of them

You’re about to get a thousand different replies. I don’t think it makes much of a difference.

I fed my dog two nutrigrain bars and two packs of toast chee crackers this morning because she was out of food. She seemed to really enjoy it.

I feed her Blue - chicken and rice mix normally though, she likes it. A dogs a dog.

I used to sling dog food. There’s a lot of different options, and opinions.

It’s really dog dependent, and what you want your dog eating, or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Ole Roy. Close thread.

At the end of the day, it’s a dog. They’d happily eat roadkill
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

I use to feed my Shepherd raw. Mostly chicken quarters with some hearts, livers and junk thrown in. He looked the best he has ever looked. I ended up taking the easy way out and going back to kibble.

I used to sit a mastiff that was fed two raw chicken carcasses a day. That sumbitch would chomp twice and down the hatch it would go. Yeager was his name, after the pilot. That dog lived to be 7 or 8. 185lb and his neck was 33”. They would go by the Columbia Farms plant to pick them up for pennies.

I know it goes against conventional wisdom and any veterinarian's advice but my dogs eat everything. They get table "scraps". It's not really scraps because I often cook big enough portions just so there'll be some left over for them. They eat most vegetables, all kinds of meat, cheese and fish. I don't give them much fried stuff because it messes up my little dog. One of their favorites is frozen deer burger. I try to balance it so they get a good variety. We also keep their bowls full of kibbles so they can choice feed anytime. We do watch the amount. My bigger dog stays trim and burns enough calories that I can let him eat until he stops. The little dog is a bit of a piggy and has to be rationed more often.

It's convenient to be able to feed everybody by pulling up to a drive through fast food joint. They're spoiled enough that they have become picky. The big dog won't eat chicken tenders and prefers his sausage and cheese biscuits without eggs.

There are some people foods that are not good for dogs, like onions, grapes, raisins, avocado, etc. Some nuts are OK but they are high in fat so they should be given sparingly or it can be hard on their kidneys. I don't give them sweets but they don't really like them anyway.

13 year old lab eats a lot of ground deer meat raw. Only thing that will keep weight on her these days.

We’ve gone the homemade diet route with two Golden’s, the first for kidney issues, the second for various allergies (we think he eventually succumbed to a tumor that invaded his kidney, but unrelated to his original issue(s)).

The first was a recipe my wife worked up with a naturopathic Vet who was also a standard licensed Veterinarian. I’d have to dig that recipe out if you wanted it, but from what I recall it had hormone-free beef or venison burger, and beef or deer liver, along with various veggies, etc. Btw, there is a helluva difference between standard beef liver and hormone-free. It’s both incredible and spooky. The HF stuff almost looks like a slab of fat-free beef steak.

The second dog’s diet was centered around almost raw venison (frozen to kill any shit), rice, veggies, etc. He went through 5-6 deer a year for the nearly three years he was on it and before the cancer finally got to him. Tot helped me keep him fed for two years.

Our current Golden also has a kidney issue, but we’ve since learned that while it used to be a low-protein diet that was prescribed for kidney issues, it’s now recommended that it be a low-phosphorus(?) recipe.

Glenn or one of our other Vets can explain it better, but, IMO, if you have any kidney concerns, spend the money for an SDMA(?) test. It can give up to an 18 month earlier notice than the standard blood test ratios, etc, of renal decline. That test gave us advance notice on our current dog’s condition when he was only 4-1/2, and changing his diet immediately has kept him stable for four years now.
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 03-19-2021 at 03:05 PM.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Lord help us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default Dog Food - Fresh/People Food

Quote Originally Posted by FULLCHOKE View Post
    I fed my dog two nutrigrain bars and two packs of toast chee crackers this morning because she was out of food. She seemed to really enjoy it.
    I’m glad to know I’m not the only one who does this.
    Last edited by Woodiewacker82; 03-21-2021 at 09:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Islandguy85 View Post
    Lord help us.

LOL Brandon y’all got that SDMA test yet?
    Never confuse enthusiasm for capability

I used to go by the no table scraps rule as well. My Shepherd is 12 going on 13 and he eats everything we eat... except lettuce or onions. My dad's been sick and I've been staying with him for a while now to help him out getting around and dad actually orders the dog food if he orders from somewhere. Usually something like chicken wings or chicken nuggets but he feeds him everything else as well. My sister comes over and cooks for dad from time to time and she feeds him everything under the sun. He has kibble all the time as well but really eats little of it since they feed him so much other stuff. He had chicken nuggets and fries tonight and then some teriyaki chicken and rice after that.

With that said, I don't think it would work for every dog. He is routine on his poops and they are always solid. He's never over eat and sticks around the 80-85 pound mark.

Thanks all for the comments. I think my daughter (12) and I are going to start making our own to supplement with the kibble. Some sort of rice, green bean, carrot, spinach, pea and meat situation. Make a bunch and freeze in a weeks supply Tupperware. Should be a win/win. Dog will love the food and you get daddy/daughter kitchen time. If anyone has any recipes they've used I/we are open to suggestions.

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by First Coat View Post
    Anyone have any experience with feeding their dogs "real" food? Whether it be homemade (rice, veggie, meat scraps, etc) or the newer delivery kind? I hear the Farmers Dog radio ads all the time and just wonder if it's worth it.

I currently have a 6.5 year old Brittany and she is in very good health as far as I can tell and per our recent vet check up. I used to have 2 English Pointers (brothers) that both had to be put down at 10.5 or so years due to kidney/liver cancer. It was terrible. I've often wondered if it was food related. From what I heard then, the rest of their litter was fine at the time but I didn't reach out again after that.

Feel free to remove your mask when you are kind enough to type a reply.

Thanks in advance.
    What kibble were you feeding you pointers?

Quote Originally Posted by abarill View Post
    LOL Brandon y’all got that SDMA test yet?
    Yes sir.

We didn't really stick to one brand as I recall (Eukanuba (spelling), crap from the grocery was a last resort). Current dog has only ever had Taste of the Wild.

I can put you in contact with a raw food guy thats probably one of the best in the business that would be happy to answer any questions.
    If You Bait them They Will Come!