Thread: Rivet or Rivnut?

Default Rivet or Rivnut?

I bought the intrabond flooring to put down in my boat. I will be setting it on the new floor braces that i had installed that are 1/4" thick. Would a rivet do fine with that thickness or should i use rivnuts and screws?
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

I have aluminum angle riveted to the sides of the braces in the floor of my boat, creating flat surfaces to which my 1/8" aluminum floor is riveted. So all rivets for me. It's been in place for going on 15 years and is still rock solid. I did drill out the rivets once during that time to pull up the floor and do a deep cleaning under it - then just installed new rivets. Be sure to use rivets for the proper grip range and get ones with aluminum mandrels so you don't have to deal with any rust in the rivets themselves. That being said, I have used AVK inserts (rivnuts) in several other places in my boat for items that I knew would need to be removed - like my trolling motor mount. Those threaded inserts would be mighty handy if you think you'll need to remove that floor at any point in time.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

I riveted mine down with the longer rivets and it hasnt budged
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Just put the floor back in my bit after pulling out all of the waterlogged foam. Put the floor back in with rivnuts for easy removal.

Im going rivets...

20210317_193036.jpg
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

That looks stout. What's the plan for the sides?
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

Quote Originally Posted by coot nasty View Post
    Im going rivets...

20210317_193036.jpg
    There is a lot going on there.......looks like you spilled your liquor drink, pregamed with a 12 pack of Ultra and crushed a box of chicken and biscuits. Looks like a pretty good time.

THose look like some heavy duty braces!

Are you putting anything on the edges of the floor? I could see myself dropping a lot of stuff down there never to be seen again.

that wiring is scary.