Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tohasu midrange outboards

Default Tohasu midrange outboards

Anyone have any experience with newer Tohatsu. outboards.

The skiff I am highly interested in typically puts Tohatsu on their boats mainly due to the best in class weight in the 60hp range. I have always had Yamahas and if I were to get a 70hp I would be willing to pay more for the Yamaha but the 60 hp in Tohatsu is attractive.

Any experience with these?
    "The best things in life make you sweaty"
    - Edgar Allen Poe

“We need the tonic of wildness...At the same time that we are earnest to explore and learn all things, we require that all things be mysterious and unexplorable, that land and sea be indefinitely wild, unsurveyed and unfathomed by us...”
    ― Henry David Thoreau

I just purchased a 2021 60mfs. It’s coming at the end of this month.

I did a lot of research and was impressed by what I found.

There’s a few guys on here who have recently bought these 60s and sounds like they like them. There’s a couple threads on here about the 60s.

I can speak for it yet since it’s not in but everything I read and people I talked to, the mid ranges are really good motors

Call McCurry’s outboards in Anderson, he had the best pricing by a long shot and was very knowledgeable on Tohatsus.

He’s “Mr. Tohatsu”.

I've got a 2020 Tohatsu MFS60 AETS short shaft tiller steer motor and I love it. It's got right at 90 hours on it now with no issues. I love how quiet it runs and it has a strong mid range and top end not to mention the exceptional fuel efficiency. Best money I have ever spent
    20200729_185024.jpg

I have 2016 50 hp 4 stroke on my salt marsh and love it. Probably have 250 or so hours with no issues.

Just bought a 2021 60 but cant offer much on it yet. Only have 5 hours on it just haven’t had the time to finish the break in process.

What boat are you looking at?

Sabine versatile
    - Edgar Allen Poe

“We need the tonic of wildness...At the same time that we are earnest to explore and learn all things, we require that all things be mysterious and unexplorable, that land and sea be indefinitely wild, unsurveyed and unfathomed by us...”
    ― Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Dawhoo View Post
    Sabine versatile
    Very Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Dawhoo View Post
    Sabine versatile
    Nice, I haven't heard of any of those making it to SC yet. Keep SCDucks updated if you go with them.

I looked at them today $29k
    If You Bait them They Will Come!

I believe they sell those at Cooper River Marine down in Moncks Corner. A Duckrun supporter. They ran Station 5 one year when it was on the river at that landing on the west side of the Santee.

They put a foam decking on my jon 4 or 5 years ago that still looks new. Also installed devices to hold poles vs using an anchor all the time. Same as power poles I suppose but I am the power.

CRM may have run stations more than once. They were like the folks who we wanted to run stations. Not like Phoneman.......stories for another day. Budman may have been involved.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

Whats the difference between the tohasu and a mercury? Same company, same motor?

Quote Originally Posted by Moose843 View Post
    Whats the difference between the tohasu and a mercury? Same company, same motor?
    Tohatsu 40 hp and less are Mercury also rebadged as nissans. The Tohatsu 40-60 are Tohatsu. The larger Tohatsus are Hondas

Quote Originally Posted by hunterjw View Post
    Tohatsu 40 hp and less are Mercury also rebadged as nissans. The Tohatsu 40-60 are Tohatsu. The larger Tohatsus are Hondas
    Incorrect.

Merc 40/50/60 hp motors are made in China.

Merc 30 and smaller motors are made in Japan by Tohatsu.

Tater what hatsu you run? Is it a 25? I can’t recall
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Got a 40hp tohatsu but it's a 95. Pushes my boat fairly well. Got a 1552 Ambush. Had a jack plate was hitting 38/39 on clean water, got a kick plate on it now and it sits a little lower but still hits 37. It ran 36 with 3 plus a kid and a load of decoys and whatnot.
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Quote Originally Posted by WNM View Post
    Nice, I haven't heard of any of those making it to SC yet. Keep SCDucks updated if you go with them.
    Placed a deposit on a Versatile today. Tohatsu 60 on the back
    - Edgar Allen Poe

― Henry David Thoreau