Thread: High Tide and kick plate

Default High Tide and kick plate

Has anyone put a kick plate on a 1503 ? It seems almost every time I am on the river I end up finding the one submerged log. Usually my fault for getting too skinny and not trimming up enough, but either way, I had considered putting one on and wanted to see if anyone had any opinions on certain models or why one brand may be better than another. I know the jack plate would help raise up, but I am not doing this for speed, it usually when i am at idle speed barely movin up a creek, no intention for use over the 5mph rating.

I think the CMC is the one i was looking at, ba-130 I think is what the model was.
    I have never ran a kick plate so I am wondering if these set kick plate only models change the height of the motor at all ? And what is a "good" set-back? This one has 6" setback.
    Last edited by duckz; 03-15-2021 at 02:36 PM.

Take a look at Circle S Machine Shop, they have a 6 inch breakaway that has 5 inches of vertical adjustment. It's a two piece so it's alittle lighter than the CMC. I've used both but switched to a regular manual jack plate. The guy I sold my circle s break away to put it on a high tide with I think a 40 Mercury if I remember correctly.
    Last edited by Coastal Woodie; 03-15-2021 at 02:38 PM.

I’ve had CMC kick plates on two boats and will never own a jon boat with out one. It doesn’t necessarily raise the motor on its on but you will need to raise the motor until the cavitation plate is even to or 1.25” higher than the bottom of your hull. They work really well and give you a lot of piece of mind.
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

I've got one on my 1503. Pay no attention to the trim tabs.

jpeg.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Woodie View Post
    Take a look at Circle S Machine Shop, they have a 6 inch breakaway that has 5 inches of vertical adjustment. It's a two piece so it's alittle lighter than the CMC. I've used both but switched to a regular manual jack plate. The guy I sold my circle s break away to put it on a high tide with I think a 40 Mercury if I remember correctly.
    Is this it?
    https://www.metalfabricatorcoldwater...way-p173343052

Looks like a great deal for both kick plate and has height adjustment. Don't necessarily care about the height adjustment regularly, but could be nice to tune it in a little better.
    What does the setback effect exactly? This shows 6", so is that average for a 15' boat ? Kind of seems like a lot to me. I dont want to rip a transom off.

Quote Originally Posted by duckz View Post
    Is this it?
    https://www.metalfabricatorcoldwater...way-p173343052

Looks like a great deal for both kick plate and has height adjustment. Don't necessarily care about the height adjustment regularly, but could be nice to tune it in a little better.
    What does the setback effect exactly? This shows 6", so is that average for a 15' boat ? Kind of seems like a lot to me. I dont want to rip a transom off.
    That’s the one. More set back will allow you to lift the motor higher, you want your cavitation plate sitting level or an inch higher than the hull. It will offset the weight so the boat will sit a tad lower in the rear with the added weight of the Jack plate and the offset weight of the motor. But you should be fine with your setup.

Quote Originally Posted by duckz View Post
    I
    Clear your PMs out, I cannot respond

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernWake View Post
    Clear your PMs out, I cannot respond
    done

Does anyone know of a kick plate that has less than 6" of setback? I want to minimize stern squat.

Wait.

Trim tabs on a 1503?

And I thought I was the king of overdoing shit.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    Wait.

Trim tabs on a 1503?

And I thought I was the king of overdoing shit.
    Got to get that big bow down to smooth things out.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernWake View Post
    Got to get that big bow down to smooth things out.
    That's right.

Mine's a console with a bench seat in the back and open in the front. Gas tank and battery are in the back as well. With that 40 and a passenger, and probably the wrong prop, it would not get on plane. The passenger would have to get up and run to the front, then walk to the back. It had a hydrofoil on it, but I hate those things. Putting 50lbs of weight in the bow helped, but it still struggled to get on plane. So, trim tabs it was. It's good to go now.
    Last edited by wob; 04-15-2021 at 01:42 PM.

I had the same issue with mine before I rebuilt. Had an older 4 stroke and was soggy

What are going with on the rebuild?

Nice work, btw...

a 50 2 stroke

Edit- I think it would have been fine if the hull wasn't soggy
    Last edited by BET; 04-15-2021 at 02:04 PM.

I used a doelphin and pushed the wheel hard to one side to get off the water wall and on plane. Not sure if that was possible with console steering tho.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton