Thread: Crate training

Default Crate training

New puppy came home yesterday. All I have ever had was outside dogs so never crate trained before. What is the best way to go about crate training a puppy? The first nigh was a bit rough for both me and Jax

Put it in another room and don’t go to the dog if it’s crying. If it’s a big crate section it off so if it messes the crate it can’t get away. It shouldn’t take but a few nights
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Put a blankeover the kennel..And i know this sounds crazy but that damn bear with the mama's stomach noise works also
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

Daytime- try to make it fun for them. Fetch toys in and out while playing. Give a lot of “good puppy” whenever they go in on their own. Turn on talk radio or something when you leave.

Nights, hot water bottle to sleep against. Cover with a blanket. Ear plugs for wife. First time she gives in, put the whole crate on the bed. It takes up less room than the grown dog will.

Once they go bed they never go back.

Put the crate in the garage so you don't have to listen to the bullshit.

All of the above plus never use the crate as punishment. They should associate the crate with bedtime and not getting in trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

And potty time for a puppy is any time there is a change in activity. After eating potty after sleeping potty after playing potty.

Product in, waste out. Don't feed or water before you're crating them.

Bladder control is approx 1hr for every month old. So if you don't won't the mess you'll have to get up in the middle of the night.

Put a blanket over it. Dogs are den animals. Place its near the back door, or front. I have it so she only has to take two steps until we are outside. The first week they may need to go out in the middle of the night, but after that they will be fine for 8hrs. Just like all training, it needs to be consistent .

Always take them outside for bathroom immediately before going in crate, and immediately when coming out. Always.

Besides making sure my dog is relieved right before going in the crate, I always give him a small treat when he goes in, except for at bed time. Now, any time I go to grab a treat, he runs and gets in the crate.
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    Put the crate in the garage so you don't have to listen to the bullshit.
    Yep. You won't be able to sleep and your wife will give in otherwise. My boykin screamed from 10 PM -2:30 AM then 2:45 AM-6 AM the first 5 nights. He was fine the 6th onward. Feeding, napping, and having toys in the crate were fine and dandy, but it took until he learned he wasn't getting his way by screaming and he wasn't going to die in the crate,

As soon as you get the dog out of the crate carry them outside. If you let them walk to the door they’ll be tempted to use the bathroom before getting outside.

Also agree with never use it as punishment. Until mine was out of the crate he associate the crate as his room/place to go.
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler