Thread: cut, cut, cut

Default cut, cut, cut

I heard it told to me that there will be some real effort to do more cutting in Oconee County and Pickens County for conservation purposes. I will let slip more information when I have time to type it, but it sounds like a step in the right direction for all of the critters involved.
    At least I'm housebroken.

The Ruffed Grouse Society called a meeting this past Tuesday. Staff from SCDNR, SC FOrestry COmmission, SC State Parks, US Forest Service, NRCS, Audubon, TNC, Sustainable FOrestry Initiatives, and Evergreen Packaging were all on the call. The focus of the call was improving habitat for ruffed grouse which would also include every other species of animal that hops or flies (whitetail deer, turkey, gold winged warblers, and bobwhite quail even). A lot of genuine interest in doing more work in Pickens and Oconee counties...Finding the way and the means to log specific areas as indicated by USFS, SCFC, and DNR has been an ongoing problem but apparently Evergreen Packaging apparently stepped up and said to call them as they see it as being about much more than just money. Hopefully things will be changing for the better and they will create some healthy areas among the "wildlife deserts" as I have heard them called (white pine stands). Fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Nitz View Post
    The Ruffed Grouse Society called a meeting this past Tuesday. Staff from SCDNR, SC FOrestry COmmission, SC State Parks, US Forest Service, NRCS, Audubon, TNC, Sustainable FOrestry Initiatives, and Evergreen Packaging were all on the call. The focus of the call was improving habitat for ruffed grouse which would also include every other species of animal that hops or flies (whitetail deer, turkey, gold winged warblers, and bobwhite quail even). A lot of genuine interest in doing more work in Pickens and Oconee counties...Finding the way and the means to log specific areas as indicated by USFS, SCFC, and DNR has been an ongoing problem but apparently Evergreen Packaging apparently stepped up and said to call them as they see it as being about much more than just money. Hopefully things will be changing for the better and they will create some healthy areas among the "wildlife deserts" as I have heard them called (white pine stands). Fingers crossed.
    I recently drove through the gorges. Lots of clear cutting/thinning and controlled burning had occurred.
    Last edited by Jay; 03-12-2021 at 02:48 PM.

I need to drive up that way again soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Nitz View Post
    Thanks for the updates. Please keep us posted. I was in Horsepasture recently and jumped one grouse.

Whatever became of the RGS group you were working on in Greenville?

Cutting and burning is a good thing for those mountains. Maybe that idea will spread across the border into NC too.

Quote Originally Posted by Two Barrels View Post
    Whatever became of the RGS group you were working on in Greenville?

Cutting and burning is a good thing for those mountains. Maybe that idea will spread across the border into NC too.
    That chapter is inactive and has been for awhile. It exists inon paper and that's enough. I think cutting trees for conservation purposes only hit a wall in NC because there are too many people who do not understand what early successional forestry practices are. There are lots of hunters in NC that do understand its value but they are just outnumbered. My .02

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory View Post
    Thanks for the updates. Please keep us posted. I was in Horsepasture recently and jumped one grouse.
    I will do it