Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Water

Default New Water

I started trying to “notch” new duck species in South Carolina as a way of forcing myself out of some of the perennial habits that had developed over years of hunting alone. Prior to The Quest I had hunted the same spots and expected the same results year after year. That might not meet the strict definition of insanity but it is pretty close, especially when it comes to waterfowling. Killing a new species was, of course, the stated goal but the underlying motive had more to do with internal growth. The quest was supposed to be a fat carrot on a long stick that would keep me happy, healthy, driven and interesting deep into my old age.

Still, though, the goal was to, at least occasionally, kill a new species so I came up with a set of strategies that would lead me to that end. One of them is what I began to think of as the “New Water Strategy”.

The tactical approaches to the New Water Strategy are pretty intuitive and a lot of them were centered on my boat. I had War Eagle build a new 1436 exactly the way I wanted and sold my previous 1436. I hardwired a GPS/Depth Finder combo that has bathymetric mapping of both coastal and many inland waters. The unit gives me the confidence to run new water in the dark before I ever see it in daylight. I don’t rely on the mapping functions completely when I approach new water but the depth charting screens help keep me centered in runable water or, at least, tells me when I need to slow down. I do, however, allow myself to depend on the GPS to get me back to the ramp when I’m ready to pull up. I’m still embarrassed by my underdeveloped sense of direction but the best way to keep that hidden is to not get lost in the first place. The GPS helps with that. Updated boat lighting was another tactical project but I can promise I did not include or even consider adding multicolor “ground effect” lighting that makes my boat looks like a spaceship slipping through the marsh. All the lighting on my boat is there as a Coast Guard requirement or to allow me to work better and safer in the dark.

Choosing which new water, as it turned out, is a much more complicated process and a big part of the overall fun. I’ve poured through books studying the missing birds trying to match their habits and habitats to the abundant waters that dot, cross and cut through the topology of South Carolina. I never ask other duck hunters about where they kill ducks because it’s just not right but it doesn’t bother me one bit to interrogate a crabber at a gas pump or a bass fisherman at the ramp. It turns out that most crabbers usually have their heads down and pay little attention to the water around them. Asking bass fishermen got embarrassing because most of them usually end up thinking I’m after coots, grebes, loons or muscovys.

When I started this whole thing my missing bird list was 13 species but one of those, the harlequin, is illegal in SC or anywhere on the east coast. Half of the remaining 12 were sea ducks. This posed a problem because my small aluminum duck boat isn’t good in much more than a chop. Of course, I had always planned to poke around in the late season as close to the breakers I could comfortably and safely get but many of the sea ducks breed in fresh water in central and western North America. They have to get to the coast somehow. Drawing a straight line from the breeding grounds to the SC coast, especially for surf and white-winged scoter, showed that some, almost certainly, had to come through the Carolina piedmont and sand hills regions. Many of South Carolina’s river basins actually parallel that hypothetical linear migration. I grew up hunting the Santee Cooper system and moved to the coast when the lakes died so many of these inland rivers were, at the time, New Water. I have since learned a lot of new boat ramps and river channels in the midlands but as the old cliché goes, “the best laid plans…”

I ended up killing my first of each scoter within sight of the breakwater but learned a lot of interior new waters in the process. It was one of these spots that I found but never hunted until this past November when high water reminded me of an idea I had kept for just such an occasion. The extreme rain had pushed the river channel into a gum flat just off a main branch and submerged a couple of acres of water willow in front of that. I could hide my boat in the trees and my decoys wouldn’t have to compete with mostly still green willows. The inundated willows actually gave a good foothold to my decoy weights in the swifter than normal currents. I wasn’t trying to add to the list, I just wanted to kill a few ducks because my daughter was visiting and she still loves fresh, pan fried duck. The usual ringneck, gadwall and mallards would fit that bill perfectly. Daylight brought a stranger, though.

The first bird in that morning was a first-year white-winged scoter that decoyed perfectly. Maybe it was the white square on the painted gadwall that got the scoter’s attention or it was just lonely and any company would do. I added a pair of ringneck with a 2-shot double still under early light. Both were hens but I was meat hunting.

As it got lighter a few puddlers started moving. They tend to fly the river channel but up pretty high. I assume they’re migrating but I can sometimes break off a bird or two with a loud mallard hen call. I pulled in a trio of wigeon that circled several times. A single broke out of that group during one of their circles and hovered just over my string of mallards. I swear a slight baldpate and crisp plumage made me think I was shooting a young drake but it was a hen. It wouldn’t have mattered – like I said, I was meat hunting. A pair of mallards decoyed. I had a choice this time so I was much nicer to the hen but her boyfriend didn’t fare so well.

The novelty of killing a white-wing and a wigeon within minutes of one another wasn’t lost on me so I starting thinking wood duck but never got the chance. I would have liked to call this something like “Waterfowling’s Three ‘W’s’” but instead I just called it a morning. I headed home with the satisfaction of knowing that my new water strategy eventually produced a sea duck more than 100 miles from the coast.

When I pulled up my adult daughter was standing in our driveway with my wife and her dogs. The first words out of her mouth were, “did you get any?”

Yep, baby, I did.

[Sorry about the photo, I was in a hurry and never intended to post it]
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Rubberhead* wins again. Well done, sir.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

One of these days I would like to talk about ducks over a pot of coffee with you. Well done sir.
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

Good read.

Good stuff RH!
    2013 Spring Turkey Champs

You win.

You always win.

Good stuff sir!
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

Great work.

I'd love to hear more about your ideal light set up for your boat

Fantastic

Rubberhead is the only real South Carolina duck hunter left in this forum. The rest are either has-beens or never-wases.............
    “Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves.” Lord Byron

Quote Originally Posted by JBK View Post
    One of these days I would like to talk about ducks over a pot of coffee with you. Well done sir.
    If/when this takes place, make sure to ask broad questions, because his meticulous nature will lead down a rabbit hole of detail beyond your desire or comprehension.

Great hunt RH.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Nice work! Have you been able to get out and take pics ducks after the season? Seems the coast is hanging onto some plumed stragglers.
    http://tektongamecalls.com

Tekton Game Calls

843-290-9569

Very nice! Thanks for sharing

Fantastic read as always. I enjoyed that and the reflection on this past duck season. I found some new water Sunday while fishing a bass tournament that you would love! Lots of honkers, a pile of malllards, plenty of wigeon, and even a couple groups of teal that included one bright red one!!! Looking forward to the next season to chase them all over again!
    Living in Moncks Corner but looking forward to moving back to the West Coast in 2020 where there are more ducks and less duck hunters!! LOL

Thanks guys, and thanks for letting me post these stupid little stories. It takes the edge off of the closed season and short days.

Quote Originally Posted by BET View Post
    I'd love to hear more about your ideal light set up for your boat
    Thanks for asking. I've got LED navigation lights on the front tucked under the gunwale. Luckily the boat has enough of a pinch in the bow that both the red and green lights are visible at the same time from the very front of the boat yet not so much that it doesn't meet the CG requirement of 225 degrees of visibility. I have a standard plug-in stick anchor light that I replaced the bulb with an LED. I have high output "driving" light with separately switched flood and spot beams mounted on a RAM mount so it's easy to remove. I always take it off before putting out decoys so there's nothing sticking up on the bow that can hang a decoy line. The spot beam cuts light fog fairly well and get far enough ahead of the boat that I can react to stuff in the water. The flood beam gives a wide beam that's good for running creeks that twist and turn. I can run both if necessary. I usually take the big light off as soon as I get where I'm going.

I've got a pair of lower intensity flood lights hardwired below the bow. In tight quarters the big light reflects off of stuff and burns my vision but these smaller headlights provide enough light of slower running without reflecting too much light back.

I've since replaced the side light in this photo with a double row of 24" LED strips on each side. I use these when putting out decoys because they let me see decoys on both sides of the boat but aren't so bright that they burn my vision if I get too close to a white decoy. If you do this make sure to get LED strips on a black background. Most come with a white background.

I don't have a picture but I have a single row, high output LED light bar mounted on the axle of my trailer pointing backwards. Some of the landings I use don't have lights and some aren't even real boat landings. Since I hunt solo and don't have someone to stand back there and point a light, I can turn on the axle light and light up the world behind my trailer while I'm backing in.

I won't go into here but I've multiplexed all the lights on 2½ DPDT switches in the back.

Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Thanks Rubberhead, very well thought out, I sent you a PM with a couple follow up questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    Thanks guys, and thanks for letting me post these stupid little stories. It takes the edge off of the closed season and short days.

Thanks for asking. I've got LED navigation lights on the front tucked under the gunwale. Luckily the boat has enough of a pinch in the bow that both the red and green lights are visible at the same time from the very front of the boat yet not so much that it doesn't meet the CG requirement of 225 degrees of visibility. I have a standard plug-in stick anchor light that I replaced the bulb with an LED. I have high output "driving" light with separately switched flood and spot beams mounted on a RAM mount so it's easy to remove. I always take it off before putting out decoys so there's nothing sticking up on the bow that can hang a decoy line. The spot beam cuts light fog fairly well and get far enough ahead of the boat that I can react to stuff in the water. The flood beam gives a wide beam that's good for running creeks that twist and turn. I can run both if necessary. I usually take the big light off as soon as I get where I'm going.

I've got a pair of lower intensity flood lights hardwired below the bow. In tight quarters the big light reflects off of stuff and burns my vision but these smaller headlights provide enough light of slower running without reflecting too much light back.

I've since replaced the side light in this photo with a double row of 24" LED strips on each side. I use these when putting out decoys because they let me see decoys on both sides of the boat but aren't so bright that they burn my vision if I get too close to a white decoy. If you do this make sure to get LED strips on a black background. Most come with a white background.

I don't have a picture but I have a single row, high output LED light bar mounted on the axle of my trailer pointing backwards. Some of the landings I use don't have lights and some aren't even real boat landings. Since I hunt solo and don't have someone to stand back there and point a light, I can turn on the axle light and light up the world behind my trailer while I'm backing in.

I won't go into here but I've multiplexed all the lights on 2½ DPDT switches in the back.

I put some back up lights on my boat trailer and hooked them to a switch in my truck through the pig tail and I can say it makes a world of difference!!! Great story. I love hunting new water when I get the chance but I hardly ever do that alone.
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Great read man!
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

This fired me up.

Enjoyed reading this one, too. Keep them coming...