Thread: More money

The price of a Nonres. lic. in North Dakota is going up $40 this year. It was $85 just for waterfowl last year. This year it's going up to $125. for a 14 day Lic.And thats just for waterfowl It you hunt upland it's another $85. Plus the little extras they throw in. I really don't mind the price of a hunting Lic. but damn it's getting some kind of pricey.
    Proud owner of 3 AKC.Bench Champion MASTER HUNTERS

I think all of you should boycott the ND hunts for the next few years. That will teach them... I will continue to go and see what kind of an impact the higher prices are having...
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers

Sasha I'll do a survey where I hunt and you do the same. Then we can compare notes after the killin is done.

We need to coordinate times better this year. How is the 3rd week in October?
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers

Heard it's loaded w/ big birds. We're going the third week this year. Last 2 years went the second week and killed mostly gads and teal.

My lawyer went the third week last year and killed mallards, pintails, and wigeons, no gads, so I hope we'll do the same. Gotta get used to that field hunting though. The locals laughed at us hunting the potholes, said it was no need to get wet, so we'll see.
    Jack of all trades, master of none

Right how Duckman#1 and I will be leaving here Oct.13th and hunt from the 15th till the 21st.

Yall flying or driving?

Drivin this is my 3rd year in row. 1833 miles to the ranch I hunt. With 2 or 3 dogs we can do it in about 29 hours.

We drove the first year and flew last. Flying is a lot easier on everyone, includuing the dogs. We figured the 2 days we spend driving there and back were 2 more days to hunt. If at all posible, I would try to fly. Round trip to Fargo is $315, and rental truck is $410 for the week.

Loved the trip out but the drive back was terible.

Yeah me too. I drove my first year and will never do that again... You can fly there and rent a car wwaaaaaaaayyyy cheaper than driving - plus you save 2 days drive time.
    Will Rogers

1900 miles there
    1900 miles back
    1000 miles scouting
    --------------------
    4800 miles for 8 days or so...
    Government rate on milage @.37 per mile (or so)
    ----------------------
    $1776.00 For gas and wear/tear on vehicle divided by how many passenger you have.

If you just calculate gasoline at $2.25 gal you burn $635.00 worth of gas. And OVER 2 days of drive time (58 hours).

You can get on a plane round trip for $275.00 or so. You can rent a car for $325/week divided by 3 people=$91.
    162+275=$366

Downside:
    You cannot take all the "stuff" with you that you could if you drove... I UPS shipped all the decoys I needed. Plus if you are taking a dog, it will be more than the flight for you.

Upside: You do not have to drive - you get there quickly, and I think it is less expensive.

I have probably left out a bunch of stuff though.
    Will Rogers

1000 miles scouting...

I guess we were lucky. We scouted and hunted w'in a 5 mile radius of the house. Usually scouted on the way back in. Our problem was deciding on the best spot bc they all were. We stayed ten days last year (only hunted seven) and saw maybe 10 cars all week, and one was some guys from Cola town that we tried not to give up our location on the weeks before. Turned out the were only 25 miles from us. It was good we wern't associated with them bc at the local bar, they stiffed the bartender for 8-9 drinks.

Originally posted by Love2BOutdoors:
    1000 miles scouting...
    Scouting is a loosely used term for riding and drinking beer...
    Will Rogers

Well, if you count those miles, we might be right with ya.

If there was a way to make some decent money there, I'd be the slowest talking ND resident. All the locals were very amused at the southern draw, we even had the farmer we stayed with converting a little. Good people and beautiful country and limits everyday, what more could you ask for other than a girlfriend your wife has no problem with

I think I'll drive. We spent $550 in gas split 2 ways. And we take 2 or 3 dogs.