Thread: Father Daughter Weekend?

Default Father Daughter Weekend?

I want to do something special with my 7 year old daughter this spring/summer. She's a little hot and cold with outdoor activities but she's showing more interest in camping, fishing and exploring. I'd like to do a long weekend with her that would appeal to both of us.

Is there anything around the NC, SC, TN, GA, FL area that might be a good fit? Weekend camps, campgrounds, parks, sort of thing.
    Rule #2: Double tap

The truth is a lie that will get you killed.

Duncraft Pro-Staff

Jones Gap is a cool place.

Sure is. Lots of cool places in the GSMNP as well. If you want to spend some money, you can add horses to the equation, but it is fun as fun gets to ride in, camp, and fish for a weekend...

Mine has been wearing me out to go camping.

So, as soon as the ground dries up a bit we're going camping.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

If you show an interest in doing something with her, she'll eat it up, even if it's not exactly what she wants to do.

Canoe the edisto and stay in the treehouse
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    Mine has been wearing me out to go camping.

So, as soon as the ground dries up a bit we're going camping.
    Same.

We've got a perfect spot on the river when it dries up.

I was hoping to find a little weekend daddy daughter camp. I'm scared if I plan it we're just gonna fish the whole time and she'll get bored.

Duncraft Pro-Staff

Great Wolf Lodge was fun for our kids at that age. I would challenge you to make it a standing date with her for a weekend once of twice a year - something to anticipate, to plan and talk about. As she gets older, tailor the trip to her interests, not yours.

In a couple of years, get her mama to do Passport to Purity with her. https://shop.familylife.com/t-fl-passport2purity.aspx
    Then its your turn to step in a show her how a man should treat a lady.
    Honey...I'll do it after the season is over.

Originally Posted by cudexter
    I would argue that JP has the highest "quality" to "trash talk" post ratio on this site.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Air Raid
    ... Wait till 3 years from now! ...

At 7, everything is new and cool. You can spend hours in the river turning over rocks and looking at the critters. Davidson river at Brevard is easy. Sliding Rock is fun if you don't mind the line, but every kid needs to do it at least once. Tons of trails, and town is real close in case the weather turns on you...

Quote Originally Posted by Mobetter View Post
    I'm scared if I plan it we're just gonna fish the whole time and she'll get bored.
    Transition to a turning stuff over mission. Find critters. Talk about them. Stop as soon as she starts drifting. Mine loves to dig for worms. Immerse in the entire process.

Funny story, Brownies meetings have become an outdoor event in the park that has a stream through it. This past Sunday...Addie turned up missing. Quick search found her knee deep in the creek looking for critters with the boys who had to tag along because their sisters were at Brownies.

Just engage and move on when they start to drift off.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    At 7, everything is new and cool. You can spend hours in the river turning over rocks and looking at the critters. Davidson river at Brevard is easy. Sliding Rock is fun if you don't mind the line, but every kid needs to do it at least once. Tons of trails, and town is real close in case the weather turns on you...
    I can smell that ride on the bus from Camp Greenville to that place - all of us wearing our jorts - and I swore there would never be colder water than that found at the bottom of that rock.

And before you smart asses weigh in, that was 40 years ago - not last week.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

Transition to a turning stuff over mission. Find critters. Talk about them. Stop as soon as she starts drifting. Mine loves to dig for worms. Immerse in the entire process.

Funny story, Brownies meetings have become an outdoor event in the park that has a stream through it. This past Sunday...Addie turned up missing. Quick search found her knee deep in the creek looking for critters with the boys who had to tag along because their sisters were at Brownies.

Just engage and move on when they start to drift off.
    Mrs. Mobetter and I were fishing in TN this weekend. I looked around to see that she had wandered off while her guide was rigging her rod and was flipping rocks in a feeder creek looking for salamanders.

Duncraft Pro-Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Simple Man View Post
    I can smell that ride on the bus from Camp Greenville to that place - all of us wearing our jorts - and I swore there would never be colder water than that found at the bottom of that rock.

And before you smart asses weigh in, that was 40 years ago - not last week.
    Dont you think it's time to retire those jorts?

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    This right here and Davidson river campground is a great place to go there are tons of things to do in town also.

Dont you think it's time to retire those jorts?
    I'd go right back down that rock if I could still get in 'em.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

Forty years ago Jams were allowable.. but jorts

Sunbritches, Bo.

A good short weekend tent camping at Table Rock or Jones Gap would be fun. Good hikes, creeks to play in etc. Table Rock has a beach area also.

None of that got our chocolate milk to the inner coastal plain.

Making a kid go to Passport to Purity sounds like the quickest way to become an unwanted grandparent.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    Making a kid go to Passport to Purity sounds like the quickest way to become an unwanted grandparent.
    Bahahaha