Thread: Kentucky Allowing Extra Year To Play in High School

Default Kentucky Allowing Extra Year To Play in High School

Thoughts? My first thought is no way but, having a son that's a senior (that is injured) & seeing how the NCAA allowing an extra year for players has affected schollies & roster space, I'm intrigued. Surprised it passed 36-0. Definitely see a log jam for underclassmen also that are ready to play.

Kentucky is going to allow high school seniors an extra year of eligibility

The NCAA decided months ago that players that opted to play this past fall would not have to use a year of their eligibility to do so, creating a host of issues for programs starting with roster and scholarship confusion that they are still waiting for answers on.

Today, in Kentucky, the state Senate passed a bill by a unanimous 36-0 vote that will allow high school seniors to stay for another year of school and play sports.

Yeah. Wild, right?

On one hand, I totally get it and even applaud the move. The class of 2021 has had as unique a high school experience as perhaps any high school class that there has ever been, dealing with virtual classes, to sports seasons being cancelled (or highly modified nearly beyond recognition in some cases), to not being able to experience special moments like prom and homecoming in their traditional ways.

The difference between a senior and a freshman or sophomore that got pulled up to varsity meeting with pads on is already stark, now we’re talking about what would be a college freshman able to come back for an extra year to do that?

The real intrigue will be how many of them decide to pass up an opportunity for the freedom that college presents for a chance to live at home a bit longer and live the high school glory days for another year as (what the college programs have already dubbed) a “Super Senior.”

I can’t help but wonder about the bigger logistics of how this will work out for those that opt to return.

With enough classes to graduate, what classes will those Super Seniors take?
    Will they be required to take any?
    Can they attend college classes during the day / night while still coming back to play high school football too?
    Does allowing a kid come back unfairly step on the toes of a sophomore that was primed to take over that spot being vacated on the team?
    Will this go for other extracurricular activities too like the play that was cancelled, or the prom?

There are so many more questions…

I can’t imagine there will be a ton that take advantage of it, but maybe I’m wrong.

Somewhere in Kentucky tonight, parents are scrapping their plans about what to do with little Johnny or Katie’s room and cancelling their empty nester party because of an intriguing decision made by a bunch of lawmakers. What a world we live in…

https://footballscoop.com/news/kentu...r6b6PRJrsw5l5s

Is your son playing in college next year?

Life ain't a smooth ride. Deal with it and move forward.

You couldn't have gotten me to agree to stay in highschool for an extra year if you backed up a Brinks armored truck...

Quote Originally Posted by Shallow Minded View Post
    Is your son playing in college next year?
    Possibly be on a team but not sure he'll be back to playing speed by then.