Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Video Camera Suggestions

Default Video Camera Suggestions

Looking for a relatively compact camera to film hunts with. Ready to upgrade to a tripod mounted camera rather than using a tactacam and gopros all the time. I’d like to keep it around $500 if possible, let’s hear some suggestions.

Nikon D3500 or a Canon Rebel would be in that money range you're setting. I'm more familiar with the Nikon. It's a great beginner camera to mess around and get comfortable with. You don't have to spend thousands and thousands to produce quality content

What you filming? For what purpose?

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    What you filming? For what purpose?
    Turkey and deer hunts for the most part. No purpose really other than I’d rather have some better footage than I’ve gotten just using a tactacam, GoPro and and iPhone.

Quote Originally Posted by LIGMA View Post
    Nikon D3500 or a Canon Rebel would be in that money range you're setting. I'm more familiar with the Nikon. It's a great beginner camera to mess around and get comfortable with. You don't have to spend thousands and thousands to produce quality content
    Thank you, I’ll take a look at those.

HD Sony HandyCam

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Go with a handy cam style camera and get you a thumb remote to control the zoom.

Thanks fellas

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Woodie View Post
    Thank you, I’ll take a look at those.
    Don’t go the DSLR route. It’s hard enough to self film without having to deal with the DSLR. Get a true video camera and make sure it has a LANC port so you can attach a remote so you can start/stop recording, zoom and focus (you want manual focus).

I use a Canon HV30 with a VariZoom VZ Rock. It’s a great setup. An older camera, but it is loaded with features. You could probably step up to the HV40 and still stay in your price range.

Pay attention to the self filmed hunts you watch on YouTube that are filmed with a DSLR. On most of them you can hear the camera zooming in and out. It’s aggravating as hell.

Could just live the moment and not worry about filming.
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Don’t go the DSLR route. It’s hard enough to self film without having to deal with the DSLR. Get a true video camera and make sure it has a LANC port so you can attach a remote so you can start/stop recording, zoom and focus (you want manual focus).

I use a Canon HV30 with a VariZoom VZ Rock. It’s a great setup. An older camera, but it is loaded with features. You could probably step up to the HV40 and still stay in your price range.
    That’s very helpful I’ll keep all that in mind, the Canon HV40 and Sony handycam look like good options.

Quote Originally Posted by darealdeal View Post
    Could just live the moment and not worry about filming.
    Or I can relive it by watching it again. Ive enjoyed going back and watching some of my bow hunts from the past couple years and the videos I’ve taken of my buddies killing turkeys. I would just prefer to have some more quality footage. But to each his own.....

I have a Panasonic FZ300 that I use. It's got a lot more features than I want to learn but does pretty dang good in low light. I opted for the camera style vs a true video in case I wanted to take some pics with it as well vs carrying my Canon DSLR.

I’ve literally never had a problem with that zoom in zoom out sound that homeboy is talking about above. Also, if you’re looking at taking some solid pictures after the hunt a DSLR would be right. I’m just going off your price range. If you started taking videos really serious mirrorless is the way to go

I use a Canon Vixia HF R 800 I think. I would have to check when I get home.

Used it for filming deer and haven’t had any issues. I got one of the little tripods to help stabilize it.

Quote Originally Posted by LIGMA View Post
    I’ve literally never had a problem with that zoom in zoom out sound that homeboy is talking about above. Also, if you’re looking at taking some solid pictures after the hunt a DSLR would be right. I’m just going off your price range. If you started taking videos really serious mirrorless is the way to go
    My sister has the Cannon Rebel that you suggested. I’m going to borrow it and see how well it videos before I buy anything.

I look forward to seeing some videos

Just don’t forget to give a shout out to your sponsors and let us know how many prostaffs you’re on.
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...