Thread: Range Technology-AFM disabler

Default Range Technology-AFM disabler

I just bought a 2011 Z71 that has one already plugged in. Are there any pros/cons to going this route verses going in and deleting it?

Quote Originally Posted by Drakey View Post
    I just bought a 2011 Z71 that has one already plugged in. Are there any pros/cons to going this route verses going in and deleting it?
    deleting it for 150.00 deletes it for sure and not just stopping the cluster from toggling V8 to V4
    More fuel = more boost!!

KRT you saying the under-dash plug-in may not fix the problem? What is involved in a full delete?

Wish I had looked into this 40,000 miles ago.....

I had one on two vehicles and it worked great. Just make sure you unplug it and plug it in every 3-4 weeks. You will feel the difference when it goes back to V4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Take it to KRT if possible, he might even throw some giddy up to it if you are nice.

Sounds good KRT. I just bought an 11' w/ 80k miles with this thing already plugged in, but if you're thinking I need to go ahead and have it deleted, I may go that route.

Led, how long did you leave it unplugged? Did you run it a while unplugged, or just remove it and plug it back in?

Have had a Range for the past 6 years. Works great. The only downside is if your vehicle isn't driven at least once or twice a week, leaving the Range plugged in will drain your battery. In the 2014+ truck models, you can drive around town in M5 which will keep you in V8 mode without plugging in the Range. Don't know about the 2011 models...

I've had a Range in my 2018 for the past two years, never had an issue with it and you can feel the difference with it not going into v4 mode.

I have a 10' tahoe that doesn't have the Range in it and you're right, you can tell the difference b/w it and the truck I just bought.

Wish I was closer or I’d be taking mine to KRT.

Looks like I’ll be investing in the plug.

Sounds good KRT. I just bought an 11' w/ 80k miles with this thing already plugged in, but if you're thinking I need to go ahead and have it deleted, I may go that route.

Led, how long did you leave it unplugged? Did you run it a while unplugged, or just remove it and plug it back in?
    Just unplug it and then back in. The lights will flash and then it will go solid again.

Quote Originally Posted by led0321 View Post
    Just unplug it and then back in. The lights will flash and then it will go solid again.
    So how long is it not dropping cyls (V8 to V4) before you realize it? How come you have to reset a device that’s deleting AFM?

I’m confused.
    More fuel = more boost!!

Quote Originally Posted by wdhigh View Post
    Take it to KRT if possible, he might even throw some giddy up to it if you are nice.
    Yessir. Do a little tweaking.
    More fuel = more boost!!

Quote Originally Posted by KRT View Post
    So how long is it not dropping cyls (V8 to V4) before you realize it? How come you have to reset a device that’s deleting AFM?

I’m confused.
    It doesn’t delete it. Just blocks it, for whatever reason it can power off or need to be reset. Similar to anything electronic, you can feel the V4 hesitation or I just left that screen on my DIC so I would see it too.

It was easy for me, neither rig ever burnt oil and I put close to 100k on both.

Quote Originally Posted by led0321 View Post
    The newer versions seemed to fix that, I’ve never had mine stop working in the past 32k miles. It doesn’t delete afm, it only tricks the computer into thinking there’s a load behind it and it won’t switch into v4 mode.

That being said I’m about to tune my truck so afm will be gone for good.

Quote Originally Posted by wdhigh View Post
    This... end thread

Quote Originally Posted by Cribbcaller View Post
    This... end thread
    If he was closer, I would. Then i'd probably end up paying him more to b/c I wouldn't stop at the AFM thing.