Thread: Looking for older post. 2017 chevy transmission stutter

Default Looking for older post. 2017 chevy transmission stutter

2017 tahoe with 45k miles. Transmission (I think?) for lack of a better word has a slight stutter on acceleration at times. Generally at lower speeds. I recall a previous thread about transmission flush and using different fluid. Searched around on internet and is apparently a known issue. Is this an easy fix or a larger problem? I have never had a vehicle that has had any issue under 100k+ miles. Frustrating. It hasn’t caused any issue, but I can feel it and out of 3 Tahoe’s have never felt this before. Just a slight stutter that I want to address sooner than later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Islandguy85; 03-03-2021 at 11:08 PM.

8-speed?
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    8-speed?

Delete the the transmission cooler thermostat, change the fluid (dex 6) and add a bottle of Ford Motocraft additive friction modifier. Cross your fingers.

The trans cooler thermostat is hanging and not allowing fluid to circulate to the cooler. It’s slowly burning up these transmissions.

I warned people before.
    More fuel = more boost!!

Posting for KRT....

Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Circled part is the thermostat that sticks. If it’s closed... well you understand.
    More fuel = more boost!!

And this one.....

Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Thanks Feets
    More fuel = more boost!!

Quote Originally Posted by KRT View Post
    Delete the the transmission cooler thermostat, change the fluid (dex 6) and add a bottle of Ford Motocraft additive friction modifier. Cross your fingers.

The trans cooler thermostat is hanging and not allowing fluid to circulate to the cooler. It’s slowly burning up these transmissions.

I warned people before.
    When you opening a shop in charleston ? Given that the vehicle is 2017 with less than 60k miles, will dealership change fluid for free? I have read that in some instances they might. Right now I am only noticing this stutter intermittently. Drove it this AM to specifically feel for it and never felt it, but when it happens it is noticeable. Can I do what you recommended without potentially voiding any remaining warranty? Not even sure if there is any warranty remaining. Vehicle sticker says 5yr/60k powertrain limited warranty.

I appreciate your input!

Take it to the dealer

my wifes tahoe has been in several times. At 25k miles I did the above and no problems since.
    More fuel = more boost!!

Take it to the dealer

my wifes tahoe has been in several times. At 25k miles I did the above and no problems since.
    10-4. Will update soon. I don’t normally use the dealer for general maintenance so hopefully it wont be too painful and will reach a reasonable/rapid resolution. Thanks again

I have a 2018 Sierra, the dealer performed the fluid swap no questions asked. It’s a known issue with them. Having said that, I have the 8 speed. I haven’t had any issues since, which I think was around 4 months ago.

$300 trans fluid flush/change yesterday. So far so good.... issue was intermittent so I am keeping an eye out for any further issues. Not covered under warranty because apparently the manufacturer recommends fluid change at 50k miles. Seems to be a bit smoother since the change and I haven’t felt the stutter at all in the last day but I wasn’t experiencing it regularly to begin with. The more I thought about it I think I had it narrowed down to cold motor and slight stutter between at the bottom of second 2nd gear. The dealer mechanic said something along the lines of oh what you are experiencing is a normal in quotes (they wont work in tapatalk) first fill cold shift. Not sure why it was deemed normal as I have never felt it in any other vehicle I have owned so I guess time will tell. Since I have the six speed they said luckily I didn’t need the in quotes liquid gold trans fluid...

I’d delete that thermostat like yesterday. Trust me. I’ve replaced so many 6L80e transmissions with burnt fluid.
    More fuel = more boost!!

My 2017 had been in three times to the dealer for hard pretty much the same. They fixed it the third time with fluid and whatever else they did. Had it for three days the last time.

Anyway, listen to the above advice. Mines good now @87k.

Dealer replaced fluid with Mobile 1 synthetic and fixed my problems. I would definitely do a thermostat delete like KRT recommended.

I’d delete that thermostat like yesterday. Trust me. I’ve replaced so many 6L80e transmissions with burnt fluid.
    Definitely on my radar. Also wouldn’t mind deleting the AFM. Mostly trying to wait and see for a few weeks and not do anything to void warranty.

Wish your shop was closer to Charleston. Whenever I go to columbia I am driving work car and not this vehicle.

Put the additive in asap. The delete on the thermostat is crucial. I'm on my 3rd transmission on my 2014. No problems since I had the delete and started using the additive.
    Molon Labe
    HRCH Coal's Sparkleberry Cache MH

Do 21s need both of these done ?