Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S 0556. Edits and changes to trapping law bill

Default S 0556. Edits and changes to trapping law bill

Has anyone read it or understand it? It’s a little confusing to me. I see it would allow trapping on public land. That is great. What’s the deal with having to purchase and possess a Commercial Fur Harvest License. I hope they eliminate that for people who trap but aren't selling fur or animals. I have to buy the damn thing to trap and kill predators and throw them in the gut hole. Landowners or people they give permission should be allowed to trap predators year round, without any license requirement. No one is selling furs anymore. There is no market. No market means no need for trapping rules. The only trapping taking place is for predator management purposes. Anyone got anything to add?
    Last edited by Rabbitman09; 03-03-2021 at 08:58 PM.

Trapping on public land sounds great until your Boykin gets a broken leg.

I especially like how trapping is open year ‘round except for deer and turkey season but is wide open for January and February during small game and the end of duck season. You know the time when duck hunters, rabbit hunters and bird hunters will be out in force with their dogs. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

I can’t wait to call Public Land Trapper Joe that one of his traps caught my shorthair and he now has a $600 vet bill.

There definitely needs to be a designated timeframes for trapping. There are a lot of dog hunters that use public land. The dates for trapping on public land should be published so hunters know when traps could be out. The trapping dates should not overlap the entire nor majority of hunting seasons as well to discourage dog hunters. Maybe a couple of 2 week periods for trapping on public land would be the solution.

Ain’t nobody selling furs anymore anyway so no need to trap during any hunting season when fur is prime. Just allow it in March, May, June, July, and August.
    Last edited by Rabbitman09; 03-03-2021 at 09:49 PM.

Trapping in July and August sounds delightful.

Why would someone trap on public land if they weren't doing it for some commercial reason, like selling coyotes to fox pens? Predator control isn't my responsibility or right on land I don't own.

Do some of the yotes get away on fox hunts? If so there should be heavy fines and penalties for transporting a yote. They should be killed on sight. I don’t trap so I’m not familiar. I thought it was a crime to transport a yote across county lines.

The trapper i talked to yesterday was against it due to vague wording, need to dig deeper, but allows selling to pens and transport of coyotes year round.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

Outside of small game, deer and turkey season. I think it would be beneficial to allow on public land that we all own and pay for.
    Last edited by darealdeal; 03-04-2021 at 09:13 AM.
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

I'd be a lot more worried about left over or forgotten traps to let my dogs loose in the woods if they were open to beginner, non-professional trappers.

I think trapping coyotes to sell to fox pens should be illegal. I know the argument is that it gives trappers a financial incentive to trap coyotes but it spreads the infiltration of coyotes at the same time. That's exactly how they came here and spread so quickly.

Coyotes are everywhere in SC and will never be gone. It may be what accelerated their spread, but selling to fox pens to get torn apart is a bigger motivator for people to trap coyotes than most anything else. Sucks if the hole in the fence is by your property line though.

I wonder how the armadillos got here bo! And I love the stories on how the vast majority of coyotes get out of pens, from people who have no clue what they are talking about. Carry on.
    Last edited by ccleroy; 03-04-2021 at 12:12 PM.

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

This is a bad idea all around, all these public land idiots that already exist would get a kick out of the idea of trapping. They would go spend a couple hundred bucks buy some bait and go set a bunch of traps and be too negligent to go and pick them up, or forget exactly where they were set etc. etc. leaving someone else to reap the consequences. I see lots of vet bills and pissed off dog hunters in the near future. I'm against that 100%
    Last edited by LCO; 03-04-2021 at 12:20 PM.
    " You can't catch the Rona if you already the Illest " - J ROC

Quote Originally Posted by CreekGeek View Post
    I especially like how trapping is open year ‘round except for deer and turkey season but is wide open for January and February during small game and the end of duck season. You know the time when duck hunters, rabbit hunters and bird hunters will be out in force with their dogs. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

I can’t wait to call Public Land Trapper Joe that one of his traps caught my shorthair and he now has a $600 vet bill.
    Underrated post.
    Last edited by BigBrother; 03-04-2021 at 12:24 PM.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    I'd be a lot more worried about left over or forgotten traps to let my dogs loose in the woods if they were open to beginner, non-professional trappers.
    That too. Your average public land ninny with traps? To hell with that. Just wait until an eco-naturalist comes up on a emaciated or dead from starvation non target critter caught in a trap. "cold chills".

A pro with a $$ permit operating in a certain area I'd be cool with. I'd know to keep my dog out and I'd know they'd not forget where they left all those double coils....
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Public land trapping just isn't going to happen, the liability is simply to high.

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

well, coyotes still got out of fox pens during hugo.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Default S 0556. Edits and changes to trapping law bill

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    well, coyotes still got out of fox pens during hugo.
    You can’t blame a hurricane, they don’t have feelings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by ccleroy; 03-04-2021 at 12:52 PM.

I can already see the mob formed by the equine trail riding crowd to lynch the dumb-dumb responsible for maiming their nag.

Quote Originally Posted by CreekGeek View Post

Wait till Miss Betty Public is walking her poodle and that happens. Or someone's horse steps on a trap.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.