Thread: Lab hip dysplasia caught early

Default Lab hip dysplasia caught early

I found my 10 month old lab has hip dysplasia in her left leg where the joint doesnt sit all the way in the socket from an xray.I planned to hunt her next season but im scared what could happen if i take her.Shes also a family dog also so i would do anything for her.What are yall opinions about what to do? I already started joint supplements but if it ever comes down to it,i wouldn’t hesitate to get her a total hip replacement if it would help her live a happy life.

First thing is to contact the breeder and tell them, so that no one else has to go through it.

I don't know whether I'd ever work her hard.

Quote Originally Posted by wob View Post
    First thing is to contact the breeder and tell them, so that no one else has to go through it.

I don't know whether I'd ever work her hard.
    Agreed! And if they offered a health guarantee they should refund your money.

Make her a comfortable family pet. She will develop debilitating arthritis.

if i had a bum knee and you told me I couldnt hunt because it was "in my best interest," i would tell you to pound sand and hand me my shotgun.

but we anthropomorphize a lot. Its your dog. Do what you want.

I may also ask, what would you do with your pup if you didnt have the xray taken?
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Total hip replacement?? Dang, now I know how Glennda's wallet be so fat!!

Treat her as normal, with the knowledge there might be an issue later down the road. It may not be problematic till later in life, cross that bridge when you come to it.

My father ended up with one that a breeder gave to DU for an auction dog. He got it after the first buyer didn't want it. She had double hip dysplasia. My father didn't want to have her live a bad life, so she had several procedures for the beginning of her life.. She's 10ish I guess now. He never wears her out, only a few doves or so. His stand in our duck marsh is situated where he doesn't have to put on waders and can drop a duck a few feet behind him. Those are the only ducks she has retrieved. She's lived a good life.

I always do general health check up on my dogs like you would do anyone else in your family and caught it after she got back from the trainer. This upcoming season would be her first so i wanted to run her but wanted to know what i have in store down the road and ways to keep her healthy.if i do take her,it would always be short water retrieves for some wood ducks.

Largely depends on the severity of abnormality. There can be a wide degree of dysplasia. A vet could likely give you a good prediction of future outcome or a veterinary ortho surgeon could also give you good insight. I have seen mild cases that never show issue and have seen instances where the hips are absolute shit.
    In some cases surgery may be the only viable option while in others you may not have to go that route. Without knowing severity I would recommend keeping dog at a healthy weight and in good physical condition. At the same time, I also would not unnecessarily over work the dog.
    Utilizing good joint supplements is not a bad idea but will not fix the issue. I always preferred nutramax products (dasuquin advanced in this case) and gave my lab joint supplements regularly even though he had no known joint issues. Did it help his mobility throughout his life? Maybe. Did it hurt anything to give it? Highly unlikely. Nutramax has quality products and manufactured in Lancaster, SC.
    Best of luck to you and your pup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

how good is an xray to diagnosis the severity of dysplasia?
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Don’t mean to derail your thread, but while on the topic of taking care of your dog, what do y’all do regularly? Besides the regular heart worm, flea and tick, and yearly round of shots? Never had an X-ray done on mine, supplement, or additional preventative care. 3.5year old golden retriever.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    how good is an xray to diagnosis the severity of dysplasia?
    Very good. If the clinic has a good xray system, uses proper technique, and possibly light sedation to relax the dog and musculature.

Quote Originally Posted by FULLCHOKE View Post
    Don’t mean to derail your thread, but while on the topic of taking care of your dog, what do y’all do regularly? Besides the regular heart worm, flea and tick, and yearly round of shots? Never had an X-ray done on mine, supplement, or additional preventative care. 3.5year old golden retriever.
    Feed it and give it water. Kidding.
    Do whatever your trusted vet advises would be my suggestion. As a breed, goldens have an increased likelihood of developing cancer... Not saying yours will but just throwing it out there. I am NOT a vet, but work in the industry. I may be slightly biased here in full disclosure but annual lab work is not a bad idea. I represent a company that provides these services (and some other things) to veterinary hospitals. That being said, I run annual diagnostics on my pets as part of their preventative care program.
    One of the vets on here may chime in and provide free better/sound advice but preventative fast scan ultrasound to watch for abdominal cancers certainly wouldn’t be wrong in my opinion, but its not something most pet owners do nor am I aware of clinics that promote this idea. I could even say that about routine radiographs as well. Not trying to go overboard on preventative medicine on pets but I am fairly certain none of the vets on here would say the above suggestions are absolutely wrong.
    As a general rule, if illness of any sort is caught early there is a higher degree of probability for a better outcome.

Woah everyone pump the damn brakes.

Your dog should be able to hunt, if you address this as dictated by the severity...

Step 1- medical management with rest, NSAIDS (for dogs), weight loss (thin body condition), joint-focused diet (hills metabolic mobility or jd, Purina I’m)

Step 2- surgical options include FHO vs THR- probably too late for a JPS

Step 3- keep you dog thin for it’s life

Go to an orthopedic surgeon. Your dog will be able to hunt, just likely won’t have as long of a career or be able to go on hunts that are as demanding. Shoot me a pm if you wanna chat
    Never confuse enthusiasm for capability

Quote Originally Posted by abarill View Post
    Woah everyone pump the damn brakes.

Your dog should be able to hunt, if you address this as dictated by the severity...

Step 1- medical management with rest, NSAIDS (for dogs), weight loss (thin body condition), joint-focused diet (hills metabolic mobility or jd, Purina I’m)

Step 2- surgical options include FHO vs THR- probably too late for a JPS

Step 3- keep you dog thin for it’s life

Go to an orthopedic surgeon. Your dog will be able to hunt, just likely won’t have as long of a career or be able to go on hunts that are as demanding. Shoot me a pm if you wanna chat
    Essentially what I said

My 3 year old BLF was diagnosed with mild dysplasia at 8 months. She came from "guaranteed" hips, eyes, and elbows. There simply are no guarantees. Stack the odds in your favor by getting a liter that is certified, but it can still happen. Bad luck of the draw this time for me. I was devastated as this dog was on pace to be my best ever and I'm on lab # 5. She still is. She is averaging over 600 retrieves a year and doing well. She for sure gets up slower than a 3 year old should after a long hard hunt. I hope we can continue to manage her and have a long career. She is a joy to hunt! I have her on multiple suppliments, keep her weight down, and exercise her, although not to the extreme when not hunting. When hunting, we get after it no matter the conditions. She was made to hunt and I have no intention of changing that until she cannot go anymore. At that point she will retire and be a house dog basking in the memory of her past hunts. She travels across the country hunting. There are many retrievers with the same diagnosis that somehow manage a long career. Expect future arthritis and perhaps not as many years as a dog without hip issues. However, I've not seen many labs not struggle with hips later in life with or without displaysia.

Good luck