Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So why is there an ammo shortage

Default So why is there an ammo shortage

Crazy seeing 5.56 over $1/rd on the online auction sites.

I am sitting on a pile, and considering letting half it go on one of those sites and buying a few new rifles that I wont be able to get ammo for.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I am sitting on a pile, and considering letting half it go on one of those sites and buying a few new rifles that I wont be able to get ammo for.
    I’ve got all I’ll ever need but I’m reluctant to sell on the off chance this is the new normal

Because folks are writing bots to purchase it from online sites.

“Get out among the mountains and trees, friend, as soon as you can. They will do more for you than either man or woman could.” Theodore Roosevelt to John Muir after his wife's passing in 1905.

Quote Originally Posted by Smilee View Post
    Because folks are writing bots
    That is a real thing I just learned about. A Nike executive of 25 years was just fired because her son was writing bots to get huge lots of the hottest new sneakers and reselling them. Crayzee...

Supply is getting a little better if you keep an eye out, but I also think that some of the manufacturers are taking advantage of the situation and slow rolling some stuff.

Federal cant meet the demands in your local store, but they can sell on their own website for full MSRP? Come on.

Quote Originally Posted by Smilee View Post
    Because folks are writing bots to purchase it from online sites.
    I get all that I’m just curious if there is an actual shortage or it’s just being purchased in large quantities to be sold on the secondary market. I think we are on the cusp of of a new frontier where wealthy people/companies have enough money to totally disrupt a market. Only a matter of time where necessity items are hijacked and priced out of the hands of the average person.

Why? Because ammo manufacturing companies either stopped or slowed production because everyone over-reacted to the virus. Ammo supply shifted from excess to shortage. And now they’re having a tough time getting caught up. Same with many other products and commodities.

Managers and executives who voluntarily slowed or stopped supply chain operations should be fired.

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    That is a real thing I just learned about. A Nike executive of 25 years was just fired because her son was writing bots to get huge lots of the hottest new sneakers and reselling them. Crayzee...
    I read that yesterday. Crazy stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by tjm84 View Post
    Man could open up ammo production in a crap hole country and retire quickly.

Wish he would have given a percentage of how much is going to the govt.

they said at times during the height of the stupidity (pandemic) the military got first dibs on any ammo before it was made available to the consumer...I would agree that the bot thing is really more to blame. Fucking computers.
    At least I'm housebroken.

Better figure it out before sept. Or we gonna riot.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    Better figure it out before sept. Or we gonna riot.
    You can pay $45/box for some high brass on gunbroker

Did find a decent amount of 5.56 in stock wanting a $1 a round......
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

I have been able to find what I need but have to hunt for it and pay much more than usual.
    I do understand that demand is up with the high degree of new gun owners but I cant help but think the manufacturers/suppliers are playing in to this game to a degree. They all act like they don’t want democrats in office but when they are their business booms and rarely any negative legislation is passed that has harmful effects on their business.
    I don’t know this to be 100% true but a neighbor who knows some management at PSA said he went in a few months ago looking for ammo. None on the shelves but they let him go into back of store to pick some and he said in quotes there was tons of ammo in the back.....
    I would also venture to say that as long as people are willing to pay too much for these items there is no incentive to roll back on prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hmm $1 a round you say? i might can save ya'll some shipping. What are the gougers getting for AR's these days? Might have to drag mine out the back of the safe and let it go too. Saw where 550 rnds of 22lr was selling for $100 the other day and 22 mag for 46 bucks a box of 50.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Quote Originally Posted by Islandguy85 View Post
    I have been able to find what I need but have to hunt for it and pay much more than usual.
    I do understand that demand is up with the high degree of new gun owners but I cant help but think the manufacturers/suppliers are playing in to this game to a degree. They all act like they don’t want democrats in office but when they are their business booms and rarely any negative legislation is passed that has harmful effects on their business.
    I don’t know this to be 100% true but a neighbor who knows some management at PSA said he went in a few months ago looking for ammo. None on the shelves but they let him go into back of store to pick some and he said in quotes there was tons of ammo in the back.....
    I would also venture to say that as long as people are willing to pay too much for these items there is no incentive to roll back on prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah its insane.. Purchased an AR at PSA this summer and while in their I watched at least 6 or 7 others purchase an AR just when I went to look.... I went in 3 different times looking at different guns and each time I watched the same.... People walk in... No questions... Pick up one of the 5.56 or 223 and yeah I want this one....... Was gonna wait until they do their sale around July 4th but was told that they are had no plans on doing a sale as long as items were walking off the self..... So I got one early summer while it was still at a some what reasonable price... Last time I check the same gun was not a few hundred dollars more and listed out of stock for awhile.... Did notice while the shelves looked empty somehow they always had one more left in the back..... ahahah
    Last edited by darealdeal; 03-03-2021 at 09:44 AM.
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

bots? not a clue what that is
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Ask your buddies that work in any places that sell ammo how many times a day they get asked if they have any 9mm. I stopped in my local store the other day and was catching up with a friend. In the 15 minutes I was standing there, 5-6 people asked about 9mm ammo, and another 2 called on the phone. And this was at 10 in the morning on a weekday. Demand is astronomical.