Thread: February Fishing

Default February Fishing

Rain, Rain, and more rain seemed to summarize much of February but that didn't stop us from getting on the water.

Trout - Still schooled up and varying their depth based on water temp. Overall most fish are coming in 5-10 ft of water at creek mouths as well as deeper areas near structure on creek bends. Smaller baits such as a finesse TRD or Slim Swimz with a more relaxed retrieve have been the ticket.

Redfish - The fish are still schooled up and holding to their patterns. Schools are rarely leaving the same few hundred yards of shoreline and are holding on the same "lines" regardless of tide/water depth. The exception being on the sunny/warm days where I have found them floating in the shallow grass. Almost all of the fish I am catching are coming in under 3ft of water.

Similar baits to those above have been working but when all else fails, cut bait gets the job done.

Besides the regular shoreline flats another area to target these fish are back water pockets with pond drains. Near the drains is typically a deeper hole to hold the fish on low tides as well as having an outflow of warmer water as the ponds warm on sunny days.

Fly Fishing - It has not been uncommon to see A LOT of fish on each trip with the sunny and calm wind days resembling fishing in an aquarium. The key has been stealthily getting ahead of the moving fish and let them find your fly with minimal movement.

IMG_3663.jpg

IMG_3669.jpg

IMG_3775.jpg

IMG_3766.jpg

IMG_3765.jpg

IMG_3740.jpg

Good work!

Strong. Thanks for the write up!

I always appreciate these threads, thanks.

"Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by First Coat View Post
    I always appreciate these threads, thanks.
    Of course, I am fortunate to work on the water and do not mind sharing what I know.
    I fish the Stono, Folly and Kiawah rivers mainly but do at times go to the N Edisto. If anyone ever has questions I can help with do not hesitate to ask.

Great photos. No flounder to be found??
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post
    Great photos. No flounder to be found??
    Thank you, not really right now.

Gigged into scarcity??
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernWake View Post
    Rain, Rain, and more rain seemed to summarize much of February but that didn't stop us from getting on the water.

Trout - Still schooled up and varying their depth based on water temp. Overall most fish are coming in 5-10 ft of water at creek mouths as well as deeper areas near structure on creek bends. Smaller baits such as a finesse TRD or Slim Swimz with a more relaxed retrieve have been the ticket.

Redfish - The fish are still schooled up and holding to their patterns. Schools are rarely leaving the same few hundred yards of shoreline and are holding on the same "lines" regardless of tide/water depth. The exception being on the sunny/warm days where I have found them floating in the shallow grass. Almost all of the fish I am catching are coming in under 3ft of water.

Similar baits to those above have been working but when all else fails, cut bait gets the job done.

Besides the regular shoreline flats another area to target these fish are back water pockets with pond drains. Near the drains is typically a deeper hole to hold the fish on low tides as well as having an outflow of warmer water as the ponds warm on sunny days.

Fly Fishing - It has not been uncommon to see A LOT of fish on each trip with the sunny and calm wind days resembling fishing in an aquarium. The key has been stealthily getting ahead of the moving fish and let them find your fly with minimal movement.

IMG_3663.jpg

IMG_3669.jpg

IMG_3775.jpg

IMG_3766.jpg

IMG_3765.jpg

IMG_3740.jpg
    Pretty LBD.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post
    Gigged into scarcity??
    Right now there aren't too many inshore but that should be changing.

I don't seem to catch as many in this area as I do when I travel north or south to fish (Georgetown/Beaufort areas).

While gigging can affect a local population I don't think you can pin the macro trends on it.

Great pictures.
    Poverbs 27:17 "As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another"

We caught over 110 Reds Last Saturday and Sunday from one location. Most were in 1-3 feet of water. Almost all were upper slot fish. I caught one 25 incher that had 12 inches of leader hanging out his mouth. I removed my hook and looked inside. I could see a Z-Man lead head down deep. Grabbed it with the pliers and it and a 4" Z-Mann pulled right out. Tip of hook had rusted off so it was just hanging in there.
    Last edited by Goin Coastal; 03-02-2021 at 03:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.

Quote Originally Posted by Goin Coastal View Post
    We caught over 110 Reds Last Saturday and Sunday from one location. Most were in 1-3 feet of water. Almost all were upper slot fish. I caught one 25 incher that had 12 inches of leader hanging out his mouth. I removed my hook and looked inside. I could see a Z-Man lead head down deep. Grabbed it with the pliers and it and a 4" Z-Mann pulled right out. Tip of hook had rusted off so it was just hanging in there.
    No way! Reds are an endangered specie on coastal S.C.

Thanks for the update. I enjoy them even though I don't go fish in salt water.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Good stuff, saw a school of over a hundred or more redfish in about two feet of water last week

Quote Originally Posted by Goin Coastal View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Good stuff, saw a school of over a hundred or more redfish in about two feet of water last week
    This time of year it pays to know where they are as you are either on them or no where close. If you approach right and control pressure on the school you can really rack up numbers.

Awesome stuff. I had a heck of a day off Tampa years ago. We found a huge school of Redfish in shallow and picked away at them for over 6 hours. Catch and Release fly fishing. Wonderful fun.

That evening, we casted plugs at docks that had lights on them and tore the damn Snook up. Our arms were sore the next day. Fun times.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.