Thread: Sad news

Default Sad news

Found out yesterday my 6 yo yella dog has a cancerous tumor in his mouth. Anxiously awaiting test results but fear the worse. If test comes back malignant, anyone have first hand experience with effectiveness of the treatment? Vet told me that these oral cancers are bad stuff. I am afraid I will be have some tough decisions to make very soon.

Damn, hopefully just a clogged salivary duct.
    Windows Down!

Very sorry to hear the news.

We’ve lost six Golden’s over the years due to various cancers, some very aggressive and others that were fairly slow growing, and a seventh that we’re dealing with right now.

We’ve never dealt with oral cancer, so can’t say much there, other than wait for all the tests and pathology results before deciding what to do. That is, unless the tumor is very aggressive and the answer is obvious. Hopefully it will be benign, or your Vet can get a clean edge without having to cut too deep.

Best of luck to your dog, and yourself.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

I have a friend who had a dog with it. Unfortunately it didn’t turn out too good. I don’t know what treatments the dog had if any though. Hope things work out the best for you buddy.
    Last edited by LabLuvR; 03-02-2021 at 06:52 AM.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Our Boykin had Melanoma in the roof of her mouth. We had a gifted UGA Vet surgeon remove the tumor. Dog did fine post surgery, but she had multiple other Melanomas and went fast. Six months.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Just lost my dog to cancer yesterday. First incidence was Christmas morning when it ruptured on her liver and she collapsed from internal bleeding. More money than I care to state and weeks of recovery later, she seemed to have recovered and was back to normal. Fast forward two months and at 4a.m. She got up and I could tell by the sound of her footsteps something was wrong. Found her in the kitchen collapsed and unable to stand. Back to the emergency vet again and basically the same issue as before happened again.

I’m honestly not sure how I would handle this next time. Surgery was really tough on her. I’d at least make sure your vet is fairly confident in removal and quality of life afterwards. We left after the surgery thinking we were in the clear and had a few good more years with her and obviously that wasn’t the case. Hopefully your situation turns out better than mine.

Quote Originally Posted by mud ugh View Post
    Just lost my dog to cancer yesterday. First incidence was Christmas morning when it ruptured on her liver and she collapsed from internal bleeding. More money than I care to state and weeks of recovery later, she seemed to have recovered and was back to normal. Fast forward two months and at 4a.m. She got up and I could tell by the sound of her footsteps something was wrong. Found her in the kitchen collapsed and unable to stand. Back to the emergency vet again and basically the same issue as before happened again.

I’m honestly not sure how I would handle this next time. Surgery was really tough on her. I’d at least make sure your vet is fairly confident in removal and quality of life afterwards. We left after the surgery thinking we were in the clear and had a few good more years with her and obviously that wasn’t the case. Hopefully your situation turns out better than mine.
    So sorry for your loss. Durn dogs get in you heart and soul for sure

Quote Originally Posted by bbhntr48 View Post
    So sorry for your loss. Durn dogs get in you heart and soul for sure
    I appreciate it. It’s tough to deal with for sure.

Saw it with my grandmothers dog. Costly and after second surgery removing part of its mouth she said she wished she had never gone that far. Hers was six at the time as well when diagnosed.
    Quote Originally Posted by BOG View Post
    Tip:
    Although it is natural for you and seems to be out of your hands, try to suppress your natural inclination towards dumbassedness and do some research of your own.I wish you luck.
    Tekton Game Calls
    http://tektongamecalls.com

I'm sorry to hear of this and I hate it just as much as anybody but sometimes you just need to thank God for your time with your dog and let it pass on to heaven. I believe it has been called passing over the rainbow bridge.

I am not going to mention the details of times I have had like this. You think the surgery is going to do it and with at least two of mine, maybe three, the surgery was worse as it just prolonged the inevitable. May have sped it up.

At the same time I hade one lab, my first, that had some tumors removed and spayed around 10 years. She went on to 18 years. I think it was 93 when she passed. It's a tough call. It hurts. But you don't want the suffering there may be.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

I went through it in 2016. There was no alternative but to make the hard decision.
    Poverbs 27:17 "As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another"

Quote Originally Posted by JacksonsHuntingDuke View Post
    I went through it in 2016. There was no alternative but to make the hard decision.
    That is what I expect but dread having to do. Thanks to all for input

Had to put my 8 year old yellow female down back october 2018. From the time i found her lump in her chest the size of a quarter till the whole left side was busted open and the right side was halfway up her body was 5 weeks. She went out eating a hot and now and some peanut butter and me and the wife crying like babies. It’s never an easy decision but it was the correct one for her. Prayers up for you.
    Last edited by adamb61085; 03-02-2021 at 05:53 PM.