Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chance to elevate waterfowl management within the SCDNR – support requested

So y'all will support a bill that includes a qualified statewide waterfowl manager, a duck stamp increase and an oversight committee?
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

only if polls show it would help you get reelected.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    So y'all will support a bill that includes a qualified statewide waterfowl manager, a duck stamp increase and an oversight committee?
    Idk why but just they way you typed that made me throw up in my mouth a little...... The easiest way to get waterfowl back in SC at levels everyone would be happy would be to privatize it and give it higher value...... Until then no one will make any moves in the government to do anything against the homeowners on the lakes vs benefits of a handful of duck hunters......... In theory it sounds like a great idea but we all know how much of that money from the increase in duck stamps would actually go to this??? How long before someone without he best interest of waterfowl gets in that position??? I think having someone that is completely waterfowl would be awesome and all that would be freaking great...... Why do we need more money to do this???? Seems Duck Tape offered more money and they Cat 1s said no?? I'm only hesitant to give government more power and more money as it normally makes things worse...... Pressure on the power companies to get grass back, pressure on politicians..... I was told not long ago the reason the native vegetation on Greenwood (it is val) was being treated was due to political pressure from said politician over that area and the homeowners...... How the heck does that even make sense??????
    Last edited by darealdeal; 03-04-2021 at 07:00 AM.
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Quote Originally Posted by darealdeal View Post
    Seems Duck Tape offered more money and they Cat 1s said no??
    That was probably the genesis of this. Unless we just want to give up, this seems to be a logical path to take...

"Native vegetation" has been labeled "nuisance vegetation" in order to destroy "native vegetation". There were approximately 130 acres of primo thick Vallisneria grass, aka "native vegetation" on Greenwood....waterfront homeowners screamed and cried so it was killed because it was deemed "nuisance vegetation". It's amazing what folks can do to manipulate nomenclature in order to further their agenda for completely grass free public lakes.

Back to the topic at hand, hire a State Waterfowl Program Manager or whatever we want to call he or she. It's long been proven that SC folks will pay dearly for the opportunity to kill a duck, raise the price of a State duck stamp to pay for this individuals salary and expertise and give them the autonomy to get things done for the public waterfowler. I'd say keep all funds raised from the SC duck stamp increase in our own State though. We all already contribute to the breeding grounds through license sales, Federal Stamp sales, conservation group support and Pittman / Robertson monies due to firearm and ammo sales.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

And whoever they hire get someone with common sense not book smarts lol.
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

I could get behind having a committee for this and a sole person responsible for the management. Just do not like the idea of giving the government more money.... The new position and legislation behind that would have to be worded correctly to prevent any way ward movement of the money for this and agree some public oversight would be needed for transparency. Would seem having someone outside of these organizations/government. A group of volunteers perhaps that attends meetings and can report back on said items funding and everything to the general public from each of the desired areas. I would gladly give up some of my free time to attend meetings and give reports as well as bring concerns from the areas I am knowledgeable about to said person/committee with DNR if something like this came to be. Just hate the idea of giving them more money to somehow find a loophole to be used else where...........
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    "Native vegetation" has been labeled "nuisance vegetation" in order to destroy "native vegetation". There were approximately 130 acres of primo thick Vallisneria grass, aka "native vegetation" on Greenwood....waterfront homeowners screamed and cried so it was killed because it was deemed "nuisance vegetation". It's amazing what folks can do to manipulate nomenclature in order to further their agenda for completely grass free public lakes.
    I can remember when you and a handful of other folks actually planted/transplanted some vallisneria on Moultrie. It grew into a beautiful, thicks flat of full of life only to be sprayed and killed by Santee Cooper. I think I have some pictures laying around on my hard drive of black-banded sunfish laying on their side dying in the dying vegetation.

It's time to do something about it and the existing structures have failed us.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    I can remember when you and a handful of other folks actually planted/transplanted some vallisneria on Moultrie. It grew into a beautiful, thicks flat of full of life only to be sprayed and killed by Santee Cooper. I think I have some pictures laying around on my hard drive of black-banded sunfish laying on their side dying in the dying vegetation.

Yes IT IS!!!!! Strick9 you read this? Thoughts?

Moultrie and the lower part of Marion. A real shame.

Quote Originally Posted by darealdeal View Post
    Yes IT IS!!!!! Strick9 you read this? Thoughts?
    I am in support and was beside RH during these discussions, God willing, I will be there through their fruition. Of course, some kinks, as mentioned, will have to be ironed out and likely some opposition faced as well but we have to stay the course and stay unified!

Obviously what we have been doing is "far less" than working as noted. One responsible and knowledgeable manager, selected by a chosen non biased but knowledgeable panel to watch over and provide oversight of goals, missions and accomplishments as to each CAT 1 and then CAT 2s would go a long way towards success. As Rubberhead stated " Quantifiable" successes must be attained and therefor a gauge of successes created. This guage could take the form of many things potentially, of which their will be further discussions, ranging from waterfowl check clerks ( as used successfully in fisheries) at public boat ramps, to increasing waterfowl varied species banding, to re starting aerial wintering waterfowl flights and of course through CAT 1 & 2 hunter numbers and harvest rates.

The caveat to that success lies predominantly upon this managers ability to be self operating and apart, to large degree, by those previously in charge, not saying that they can't communicate but shall not be directed by same in entirety.

I have zero issue with this increase to the stamp fees , SC is well behind in this arena. I also approve and like that the majority of said monies remain for use only in SC until discussion arises after sunset clause. There is no doubt that we must not only produce desirable conditions for SC's wintering waterfowl (increase imprinting) but that also we should share in a part of protecting breeding grounds ( can't imprint waterfowl that doesn't exist). The two most certainly go hand in hand for most migratory waterfowl species.

Rubberhead, if you would maybe clarify the funding directions for the readers. As I read it, per your original wording but using reverse figures ; 90% stays in SC years 1-3, 80% stays in SC years 4-6 and then 100% after year 6.

In short, I encourage everyone's support.
    Last edited by Strick9; 03-04-2021 at 05:02 PM.
    Genesis 9;2

How do we get this kicked off sooner rather than later? I would volunteer to spend some free times at meetings reporting to the public if need be. Always willing to help if possible!

Quote Originally Posted by Strick9 View Post
    Rubberhead, if you would maybe clarify the funding directions for the readers. As I read it, per your original wording but using reverse figures ; 90% stays in SC years 1-3, 80% stays in SC years 4-6 and then 100% after year 6.

In short, I encourage everyone's support.
    Pretty close - in Year 7, because of the sunset clause, the duck stamp reverts back to $5.50 and the monetary distributions are done exactly like they are now. Hopefully, though, this Proof of Concept program will have proved itself by then and been legislated into more permanent status.

I'm always perplexed by the belief that we sandlappers must send our conservation monies to Northern breeding grounds but I've never heard of any discussion about Northern conservationist sending their money south for wintering habitat.
    I get it and all but..... Something to ponder.
    IMO, the funds from an increase in duck stamp cost need to stay in SC until their is something positive to show of the efforts..... Then and only then send it to the Yankee scum.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    I'm always perplexed by the belief that we sandlappers must send our conservation monies to Northern breeding grounds but I've never heard of any discussion about Northern conservationist sending their money south for wintering habitat.
    I get it and all but..... Something to ponder.
    IMO, the funds from an increase in duck stamp cost need to stay in SC until their is something positive to show of the efforts..... Then and only then send it to the Yankee scum.
    I understand the sentiment but wintering grounds are financially supported because they're on the consumptive end of the flyway.

Every single category 2 property in the state save Hickory Top is well below anything that could resemble suitable waterfowl habitat.

I would encourage this manager to tackle that in short order.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

I understand the sentiment but wintering grounds are financially supported because they're on the consumptive end of the flyway.
    Yeah, I understand it and all but I still feel that the money needs to stay in SC until positive results are seen.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

I really hope it works out but I wouldn’t hold my breath for any meaningful change. Mostly because it’s the government and secondly it will just cost too much money to have a meaningful impact on SC duck hunting.

I wonder if Bill Mace is looking for a job?
    Molon Labe
    HRCH Coal's Sparkleberry Cache MH

Quote Originally Posted by skrimp View Post
    I wonder if Bill Mace is looking for a job?
    Bill Mace is looking at fishing trips and wigeon grass and that’s about it! He would most definitely be a good candidate for the advisory board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.