Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Chance to elevate waterfowl management within the SCDNR – support requested

Quote Originally Posted by coot nasty View Post
    And whoever they hire get someone with common sense not book smarts lol.
    Good luck with that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

I had staff attys begin writing a bill. I do not want to fund any administrative salaries out of the duck stamp. That is how it reads now. We raise $210,000 for every 5 in stamps. Maybe I should add that some of the money requires matching funds so it will go further.

Found out the duck stamp program started in 1981. The price has never been raised. If adjusted for inflation it would be $15 now. Fee increases are tough to pass. I will need strong support to pull that off. Without these dedicated funds you will have to rely on a pro duck legislator to replace me when I'm gone.

I can write the bill to allow an employee to manage Cat 1 and 2 WMA and/or allow DNR to contract. The oversight committee is key along with an experienced state waterfowl manager.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

I will certainly do my part to promote the fee increase. I, for one, am not holding my breath for a majority of legislators to be pro duck, that is a losing bet.

The match is a solid idea.

DNR contracts , in many many cases , have produced low quality work, some far better than others. I have toured the most of them and at times have been absolutely appalled at the dollar spent vs work done many times.

If this manager was allowed to provide oversight on those contracts they could certainly work better to some unknown degree. As it is slated now , no quality oversight discussion is really even allowed or, such conversation is shut down with menacing glare, when brought to topic.

Roll it out !
    Genesis 9;2

TTT .... hey Ducktape... How's the writing process going?
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Thanks for asking.

I have drafted the bill. I need to get the opinion from stakeholders. They include severals members of the house and senate, Ducks Unlimited, SCWA, SC Ducks, Wildlife Syndicate, DNR, Landowner Assn, and Biologists.

I am sending the draft out this weekend for final input.

The bill creates a statewide waterfowl manager, an oversight committee, and dedicated funding through a duck stamp increase.

In addition to the bill I have funded the new position and added 1.5 million in the budget. The budget and the bill are separate. The ducks will need your help to pass this. Thanks to Rubberhead, Strick9 and others.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    Thanks for asking.

I have drafted the bill. I need to get the opinion from stakeholders. They include severals members of the house and senate, Ducks Unlimited, SCWA, SC Ducks, Wildlife Syndicate, DNR, Landowner Assn, and Biologists.

I am sending the draft out this weekend for final input.

The bill creates a statewide waterfowl manager, an oversight committee, and dedicated funding through a duck stamp increase.

In addition to the bill I have funded the new position and added 1.5 million in the budget. The budget and the bill are separate. The ducks will need your help to pass this. Thanks to Rubberhead, Strick9 and others.
    Awesome! This could be big and let us know what we can do to help!!
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Thanks for all you're doing. Kinda disheartening to see scwa as someone that has and input though.
    Molon Labe
    HRCH Coal's Sparkleberry Cache MH

Quote Originally Posted by skrimp View Post
    Thanks for all you're doing. Kinda disheartening to see scwa as someone that has and input though.
    They may be misguided but are certainly not ignorant. Underestimating their influence politically would be to the detriment of the ducks .....
    “The price of freedom is eternal vigilance” - Thomas Jefferson

I am nervous about the fee increase. Not my style.

It does provide to dedicated funding for 6 years until it sunsets.