Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chance to elevate waterfowl management within the SCDNR – support requested

Default Chance to elevate waterfowl management within the SCDNR – support requested

Without much question or need for debate, waterfowl hunting in SC is getting noticeably worse with each passing season. The debate starts, though, with the question “how do we fix it?” Even when we agreed on solutions, the implementation of such solutions remained elusive because waterfowling interests take a back seat when forced for legislative funding and/or to compete for DNR’s finite resources.

Finally, though, there is an idea that I believe streamlines this process by making one person responsible for improving waterfowl hunting in the state.

The Idea…
    1) Create a State Waterfowl Manager position within the SCDNR whose singular job responsibility is to quantifiably improve waterfowl hunting in South Carolina,
    2) Move waterfowl management up within the reporting structure of the DNR organization to a division level where it would be a peer to Law Enforcement, Marine Resources and Wildlife & Freshwater Fisheries, and
    3) Add public accountability and oversight with access to properties, plans, projects and employees.

The Request…
    1) Support (or don’t actively oppose) an increase in the price of the state duck stamp to $15.50/season enacted through legislation with a 6 year sunset clause, and
    2) Stay active in the sport for the next 6 years.

Some Details…
    1) The accountability and oversight would come from a 6-person Advisory Committee, one each nominated by 1) the governor’s office, 2) the DNR, 3) House Ag Committee, 4) Senate Fish, Game and Forestry Committee, 5) House Ways and Means Committee and 6) Senate Finance Committee, and
    2) During years 1 through 3, 10% of the new state duck stamp revenues go to breeding grounds that specifically produce waterfowl that winter in SC. This is increases to 20% for years 4 through 6 then returns to zero with the sunset of the enabling legislation.

I was involved with the DNR from 2006 through 2020 serving on the Waterfowl Advisory Committee for 8 years and the Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries Advisory Committee for 6 years. From everything I’ve seen there is nothing corrupt, incompetent or nefarious going on with waterfowl management. It just doesn’t get the attention it needs because 1) there is no single employee who is empowered and solely responsible for improving waterfowl hunting across the state and 2) there it too much competition from all the other interests, like deer or, increasingly, non-consumptive activities, that fall under the very broad umbrella of “Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries”.

The proposed legislation fixes these two major issues by elevating waterfowl management to its own division and by providing a 100% dedicated employee that is held accountable for demonstrable improvements in waterfowl hunting. Kudos to whoever put this idea together and thanks to Duke Tape for being willing to spend political capital make it a legislative reality.

This is honestly the first time in 14 years of messing with this stuff that I was 100% in agreement with a proposed solution to our waterfowling problem. Getting public support for the 6 year initial term is critical to getting the right person hired as the State Waterfowl Manager.

Thoughts?
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Sounds like a great plan. Thank you guys for taking it on. Keep us informed and let us know how we can help...

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Sounds like a great plan. Thank you guys for taking it on. Keep us informed and let us know how we can help...
    I like it, I am admittedly not an expert on this stuff but I would push for 100% of the funds to be used in state initially. Once we get the infrastructure in good shape, then push some money to the breeding grounds. I think the up front cost will be higher versus maintaining whatever comes of this on an ongoing basis. I also think 1 person is not enough to manage the whole state but I get the whole baby steps thing.

I like the plan

Would it be possible for the Guberment to just spend the money they already collect on increasing the waterfowl situation?
    Kill big, kill often

Forgive me as I'm especially slow today. Will you be the Manager? If so then HECK YEAH! If not than how will this position be filled?
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

Too many lawmakers on the proposed committee

Quote Originally Posted by ArrowSlinger View Post
    Would it be possible for the Guberment to just spend the money they already collect on increasing the waterfowl situation?
    That's good question but, it's like anything in the budget, once it's there there is little chance of "repurposing" it. The best and maybe only way of moving this forward is create and fund the new position with new money.

Quote Originally Posted by JBK View Post
    Forgive me as I'm especially slow today. Will you be the Manager? If so then HECK YEAH! If not than how will this position be filled?
    That's flattering but no. I don't have the academic background or on the ground experience needed to do this right. There are people who would do an exceptional job at this. None of the ones that come to my mind are currently employed within the DNR. The big tent of WFF (Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries) has created too many generalist.

Quote Originally Posted by formerly bohica View Post
    Too many lawmakers on the proposed committee
    It's not lawmakers on the committee - it's their appointees. The committee chairs interests and personalities are disparate enough that I'm not too worried about a "majority coup" selecting folks that will turn this into a political mess. I'm actually encouraged that the professional waterfowl associations (DU, SCWA and Delta) don't automatically get a seat at the table.

I’d hate to be the poor sob that gets thrown into that fire
    80-20 Genaration

I agree with Jay. I would encourage the funds to be spent in-state first. Then, following the success that would bring, expand into the nesting habitat financial support. Primary focus, in my opinion, would be to imprint wintering birds in South Carolina. Otherwise, you are paying for somebody up north to kill birds that may or may not have ever thought about coming to SC to winter-or are flying past SC. Take that 10 or 20% you proposed and revitalize the SCDNR wood duck box program, and instead of just giving away boxes, include funds for wood duck box maintenance.

Overall, I am very much in support of this plan. Bring accountability to a single entity/committee/manager for the success or failure of waterfowl management. The lack of accountability is where I feel like SCDNR is mishandling the subject. Government loves "bean counting" until they are held accountable for it. Increase transparency! Itemized list of where your duck stamp/hunting license money is going. We the sportsman want to see positive and measurable results in our CAT1 and CAT2 waterfowl areas, as well as across the state.
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

I absolutely love anything that might potentially increase waterfowling opportunity in SC even if I pay a bit more to support it (I rarely hunt here but I continue to financially support it through duck stamp purchase) but:

"Create a State Waterfowl Manager position within the SCDNR whose singular job responsibility is to quantifiably improve waterfowl hunting in South Carolina"

My kneejerk reaction is to have a host of concerns as to the who might be hired for this position as nepotism runs deep in all organizations, secondly, what is definition of "quantifiably improve waterfowl hunting"? I've seen a CAT 1 managers desire to increase Ringneck use and harvest for example, by doing so, would this quantifiably improve waterfowl hunting? Or is this a measurement of the number of shots fired? The number of birds killed? The number of days of "hunter opportunity"? Would the State Waterfowl Manager seek to improve only CAT 1 and CAT 2 WMA's or dig in and attempt to improve all public waters on our behalf?

I am behind you 100% Stephen as always, sorry in advance for having a tendency to play the devil's advocate. Just looking for clarification.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    I absolutely love anything that might potentially increase waterfowling opportunity in SC even if I pay a bit more to support it (I rarely hunt here but I continue to financially support it through duck stamp purchase) but:

"Create a State Waterfowl Manager position within the SCDNR whose singular job responsibility is to quantifiably improve waterfowl hunting in South Carolina"

My kneejerk reaction is to have a host of concerns as to the who might be hired for this position as nepotism runs deep in all organizations, secondly, what is definition of "quantifiably improve waterfowl hunting"? I've seen a CAT 1 managers desire to increase Ringneck use and harvest for example, by doing so, would this quantifiably improve waterfowl hunting? Or is this a measurement of the number of shots fired? The number of birds killed? The number of days of "hunter opportunity"? Would the State Waterfowl Manager seek to improve only CAT 1 and CAT 2 WMA's or dig in and attempt to improve all public waters on our behalf?

I am behind you 100% Stephen as always, sorry in advance for having a tendency to play the devil's advocate. Just looking for clarification.
    Good questions - I hope asking them helps guide the process.

I do know this too, quantifiably improving waterfowling in SC is not a one or two dimensional equation. Chasing one-dimensional solutions is not working.

Following....
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Default Chance to elevate waterfowl management within the SCDNR – support requested

Sounds like a pretty big step in right direction! The biggest challenge is going to find the right person for the job. I don’t see it being very appealing to those that are actually qualified without a hefty salary. That would be the only negative I can see. But who knows...I think the first step needs to be making our larger bodies of water more accommodating to waterfowl as they have the most drawing power based on size. Grass in lakes improves more than just waterfowl habitat!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by TXFowler; 03-02-2021 at 07:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TXFowler View Post
    Sounds like a pretty big step in right direction! The biggest challenge is going to find the right person for the job.
    Yep - that and getting the legislation right without a lot of tweaks.

I love the idea of an overall manager. I would add that it might not be a bad idea to have area managers much like Achi is the Upper Coastal Waterfowl Project manager...make the Upper Coastal Project include more that just Coastal Cat 1s. An Area manager for the midlands to include the Santee lakes and then one for the upstate as well. I see it potentially like the Bobwhite Initiative is with area managers/advisers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

This position has potential to turn South Carolina’s (public) waterfowling 180 degrees and back in the right direction.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

I can tell you one person involved with DNR that shouldn't be a part of this.
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

Quote Originally Posted by tman View Post
    Primary focus, in my opinion, would be to imprint wintering birds in South Carolina.
    Need lots of food for that to occur, en mass... I mean, more than just some scattered corn. We can't seem to keep any beneficial vegetation from being mowed down by a steady stream of new carp every season.

Talk about heresy and wasted dollars.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by willyworm; 03-03-2021 at 11:09 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

What TXF said!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft