Thread: Aquatic Council Meeting

Default Aquatic Council Meeting

Anyone watch it/take part want to report anything?

Had a few things that I thought was positive with the removal of Val off the possible treatment list on Lake Greenwood and needing to revisit for public discussion if it is blocking high traffic areas. Which is it not! Also, mentioned about getting a volunteer team together to help replant when DNR or the folks down at Santee need some help. Would like to get some names together to help assist with replanting of native vegetation in areas like with VAL in 2019 from Lake Greenwood to other bodies of water. If we get enough people and permission we can help assist in moving native vegetation like val to more desirable areas that will not piss off as many homeowners and provide habitat at the same time.
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

The did indicate they did not have an accurate estimate on number of grass carp, health indices indicated a below 1 which means the health of the fish are long and slim not long and fat haha, with not having any good information on carp mortality in larger systems such as Santee and with the fish health indicating low you would think they could start decreasing the stocking or stopping until they can have a better understanding of fish mortality and the number within the system.
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Aint no grass to transplant. Last time tbey transplanted it they killed it all. It was a waste of time
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

Quote Originally Posted by coot nasty View Post
    Aint no grass to transplant. Last time tbey transplanted it they killed it all. It was a waste of time
    I am under the impression that if we get more people physically involved we can gain more support in efforts to gain more habitat. I am curious who on here was present in the meeting and who if any made any suggestions???
    I followed the meeting with some concerns and emails to other people but ya know with an entire state and 20,000 duck stamp holders in SC only 30 people signed into the meeting......

Need a bounty on the grass carp.
    Native grasses = better fishing and more ducks.

Quote Originally Posted by darealdeal View Post
    The did indicate they did not have an accurate estimate on number of grass carp, health indices indicated a below 1 which means the health of the fish are long and slim not long and fat haha, with not having any good information on carp mortality in larger systems such as Santee and with the fish health indicating low you would think they could start decreasing the stocking or stopping until they can have a better understanding of fish mortality and the number within the system.
    Many of us older guys waged this war in the old days- the outcome was always the same- grass of any type must be removed with the nuclear weapon method. I couldn't count how many road trips were taken bringing back boat loads of hydrilla in the grass battle.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post
    Many of us older guys waged this war in the old days- the outcome was always the same- grass of any type must be removed with the nuclear weapon method. I couldn't count how many road trips were taken bringing back boat loads of hydrilla in the grass battle.
    I understand that but we can't just sit and do nothing... Still hard for me to understand why stock grass carp with no information on mortality rates, no information or accurate information to estimated within the systems, and health index of below 1. That does not make any sense.

Also found it a little disturbing when someone from the council says to much vegetation leads to sediment build up.....

I am under the impression that if we get more people physically involved we can gain more support in efforts to gain more habitat. I am curious who on here was present in the meeting and who if any made any suggestions???
    I followed the meeting with some concerns and emails to other people but ya know with an entire state and 20,000 duck stamp holders in SC only 30 people signed into the meeting......
    I agree.. Im just saying i used to go to the meetings along with maybe 4 or 5 more other scducks peeps. That was it. Also im saying what are they going to transplant? I would go get plants from othere areas not the areas they sprayed and killed. It would be a waste of time
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

I was there and posed the question to the council regarding waterfowl hunters on the council.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

This is proof why we need a State Waterfowl Manager. Someone on the APMC doesn't need to be a waterfowler to represent the interests of waterfowlers.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Also found it a little disturbing when someone from the council says to much vegetation leads to sediment build up.....
    Please name the moron that believes too much vegetation causes sediment build up.

I don't know of anywhere that has the eel grass beds like we had back in 2009 with millions of seed pods. The trick is to harvest clean seed pods in the Fall. This reduces the possibility of moving invasive aquatics.

I believe it was Bog, Mudeagle, SCGamecocks44 and I along with folks from DNR and Santee Cooper that picked a bunch of eel grass seed pods. Eel grass beds that grew in Murray and Greenwood came from those harvested pods from Marion. In Murray eel grass grew 15' tall due to water clarity! Seed pods from Murray's grass beds were picked and attempts were made to establish more beds around nearby islands. It's a tricky plant, it seems to like a certain sediment type.

Amazing that I shot this video on Murray 5 years ago.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    I was there and posed the question to the council regarding waterfowl hunters on the council.
    I did not get to hear that question or response. I was also trying to teach sports medicine at the same time and get my students started on a project. So i did not get to hear everything during the meeting.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    This is proof why we need a State Waterfowl Manager. Someone on the APMC doesn't need to be a waterfowler to represent the interests of waterfowlers.
    Yes it does. I still can not understand the continued stocking with no good information on fish morality, accurate information on numbers within the system, and a health index of below 1...... That to a much lesser mind would seem good enough reasons to halt the stocking until better information can be gathered......

Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    Please name the moron that believes too much vegetation causes sediment build up.

I don't know of anywhere that has the eel grass beds like we had back in 2009 with millions of seed pods. The trick is to harvest clean seed pods in the Fall. This reduces the possibility of moving invasive aquatics.

I believe it was Bog, Mudeagle, SCGamecocks44 and I along with folks from DNR and Santee Cooper that picked a bunch of eel grass seed pods. Eel grass beds that grew in Murray and Greenwood came from those harvested pods from Marion. In Murray eel grass grew 15' tall due to water clarity! Seed pods from Murray's grass beds were picked and attempts were made to establish more beds around nearby islands. It's a tricky plant, it seems to like a certain sediment type.

Amazing that I shot this video on Murray 5 years ago.

I have followed up with some emails regarding the 2019 project that happen on Lake Greenwood to see how much VAL is left on the lakes in was transplanted to. I have not gotten an answer yet.....