Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: School me in the ways of plots and planting....

Get the big stuff up and throw some seeds on it. Then drag it. It will grow there should be a lot dirt mixed with the mulch.

1FBEBE28-950D-4B4B-A491-3445ADEA5194.jpeg
    This was cut in the summer and this pic was the beginning of October. A lot of deer was killed on it.

Quote Originally Posted by mudnut1970 View Post
    Who ever did the mulching sucks at it.
    It looks like to me, whoever did it used a rotary style mulcher (think huge bush hog on front of skid steer) instead of a drum mulcher. Hence the larger pieces of debris.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Again, Clover. Doesn't need to be drilled in. Mix the seed with some playground sand and broadcast. It merely needs contact and the seed is so small birds won't eat much. We have had good results with dragging a weighted piece of chainlink fence over it. It will take off. Lime is always needed, but clover makes it's own nitrogen and that offsets the initial cost of the clover. It will establish and only needs to be mowed once or twice a year. ( unless the deer browse it heavily ) ( and they will )

Clover produces a lot of food per acre. Added benefit for turkeys if they are present is a clover plot is a great bugging area.
    Last edited by nitro5x6's; 03-02-2021 at 09:15 AM.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Additionally, we have had great success on loading areas by planting Daikon ( or similar variety) of radish. The roots grow pretty deep and aid in breaking up soil compaction. The deer will wear out the tops in November and December and will put the radishes out of the ground after frost. Great late season food source.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by Gut_Pile View Post
    Anything you can get growing in there now is a positive. Most likely, you're going to need a heavy dose of lime.
    ^^^^this

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Just a little info.. The blue is hunting club land, the white is cow pasture (gets hunted pretty much every weekend during deer season), the gold is the prop line, red is oak bottoms, green is a small 100 yard food plot (oats and wheat), and the field is a hay field leased to someone... The black line is the power line.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

This marks other food sources I have found. Apple tree, persimmon, pecans.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Also a bunch of small willow oaks that just started producing last few years.
    Last edited by darealdeal; 03-02-2021 at 09:06 AM.

I would let everything sprout and start growing then herbicide the powerline. mulching does not kill all trees and they will resprout. A good herbicide spraying will kill it back. I am in the process of turning about 7 acres of former 30 year old forest that was clearcut into food plots. I had a guy come in with mulcher and do 5 acres after it was herbicide sprayed. It worked good enough that I spread sorghum and sunflowers and lightly disced and dragged harrowed in with lime and fertilizer. I was very pleased with the results. I’m just gonna let the stumps rot for a while longer before I go in and do a final clearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    turn it into a green shooting spot
    This has my vote, just hit them as they cross.

You should consider getting the Forestry Service to push a firelane to it wide enough for a tractor.

There is no cheap out way to clear AG land.
    Suck it up and finish what you started.... You'll need an excavator!
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE