Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: School me in the ways of plots and planting....

Default School me in the ways of plots and planting....

So I have planted food plots before. Normally nothing crazy but all of them have already been areas previously established and easy to access. We have an old power line that stops at the edge of the property we hunt and recently the company has cleaned the line. Access to the area is limited unless I get permission from the neighbor (which I think they would allow for a short time to clean it up). I am acting as if they are not going to and would like to not ask them... Easiest way to get this clean and planted for a shooting lane. Would also like some suggestions on best way to get the ground ready and prep for a food plot (with no till) and what would be the best thing to plant or over-seed to prevent weed growth or saplings again. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

You got to get rid of those stumps from mulching, either with a excavator or a tight tine root rake. Just keep it sprayed and put a feeder for a couple years. The stumps will rot in time

The throw and mow method has seen great success. It builds and holds organic matter and doesn't require tillage or drilling. You won't get a pure monocultural food plot but deer don't need one.

There's a message board called The Deer Hunter forum where a lot of the members do the throw and mow method with a great deal of success. The members are largely refugees from the old QDMA message board, which was shut down probably do to the success of throw and mow food plotting. Tractor and implement sponsors prolly didn't like folks figuring out you don't need a lot of equipment to plot.

http://deerhunterforum.com/index.php...ow-thread.663/

Pick up as much debris by hand pile it up and burn it. Herbicide treatments during summer months will keep it clean. Pull soil samples to see how much lime you will need and start applying lime. Late summer early fall add fertilizer and seed. Gonna have to go heavy on seed without tilling but it will come up. I would use white /red clover and cereal rye and wheat.

I was thinking of doing some stump killer (then burn the stumps next year), clean up, over-seeding maybe buck wheat then knocking that down and planting oats, wheat, and something else for a fall plot for a no till.
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

I'd plant the whole thing in clover.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

That would be in the mix for the fall. Thinking more immediately to help with weeds and anything else growing up over seeding it with something like buck wheat would help.... Then knocking that down then planting????

Anything you can get growing in there now is a positive. Most likely, you're going to need a heavy dose of lime.
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Soil test

If not just plant rye and turn it into a green shooting spot

IMO there are a few different ways you can go at it.

1. With all that material on the ground go ahead and throw some crimson clover and maybe a few other types for the Spring. Then for the fall something with small seeds such as some radish, turnips, rye, winter wheat, etc. Do this for a year or two while all that dead stuff rots. You can also do liquid lime for a temporarily fix.

2. Get you a soil sample. Lime. Till as much as you can in. Then depending on how good you can get it tilled plant whatever you want.

Quote Originally Posted by StrutnBPS View Post
    IMO there are a few different ways you can go at it.

1. With all that material on the ground go ahead and throw some crimson clover and maybe a few other types for the Spring. Then for the fall something with small seeds such as some radish, turnips, rye, winter wheat, etc. Do this for a year or two while all that dead stuff rots. You can also do liquid lime for a temporarily fix.

2. Get you a soil sample. Lime. Till as much as you can in. Then depending on how good you can get it tilled plant whatever you want.
    He want advise from someone that knows what there talking about not someone that likes to hear there self talk!

dat part ^^^^^^^

Really need a dozer with a rake to get it right but you could probably get away with top seeding some rye or oats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Seed has to touch the dirt to grow, what you have there is a mess that needs cleaned up first.
    Last edited by Whackumstackum; 03-01-2021 at 03:18 PM.

If you truly cannot get equipment in there, you will be amazed what two men and rakes can accomplish in a day of hard work. It won’t be easy, but you can get it far better than it is now. Just depends if your wants are in line with your will.

Can you get a tractor to it at all?

Can you get an atv to it?
    Last edited by DJP; 03-01-2021 at 02:20 PM.

I'm sure you've thought of this, and it's not exactly on point, but I would hesitate to plant a foot plot on a property line. It will probably attract attention from the neighbor, which could lead to him shooting "your deer" or a potential safety issue. I have an abandoned power line that forms the property line on our place that just screams to be planted, but I haven't for the above reasons.
    Carolina Counsel

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Counsel View Post
    I'm sure you've thought of this, and it's not exactly on point, but I would hesitate to plant a foot plot on a property line. It will probably attract attention from the neighbor, which could lead to him shooting "your deer" or a potential safety issue. I have an abandoned power line that forms the property line on our place that just screams to be planted, but I haven't for the above reasons.
    The line runs dead center of the property from one side to the other. Other properties are already hunted pretty hard so no worried about "my deer" haha they cross over anyhow. Just wanting to enhance what is that and make it better without spending a load of money myself.

You will be surprised at the natural deer browsing that will take place with the hardwood stump sprouts. I would do nothing and hunt it as is, then mow the untouched regrowth back down after the season. The amount of deer activity I saw thru the season would determine how much money, time, and effort I put into converting it into a “food plot”.

Deer don’t care if it is pretty and green. They will be attracted to the tender, high protein regrowth from the hardwood stump sprouts.

One of the best stands I’ve had the last two seasons was a similar area that I paid a forestry mulcher to run thru. I did nothing but hang a lock-on over looking it and saw deer every time I sat there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who ever did the mulching sucks at it.