Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Experience with America’s Home place for new house

Quote Originally Posted by raybird View Post
    Next time I build a house I will do it differently. When someone is cheaper there is a reason. My builder was a habitual liar.

1. Find house plan.
    2. Find most expensive quote.
    3. Reward most expensive quote the job because that’s probably what the cheap guy is gonna end up charging.
    A lot of truth there. Also, the more details you can give a builder up front the better quote you can get. If they don’t know you want built ins or certain other features, it won’t be in the quote and you’ll be paying for it after the fact
    Last edited by Remy; 02-28-2021 at 08:29 AM.

Next time I build a house I will do it differently. When someone is cheaper there is a reason. My builder was a habitual liar.

1. Find house plan.
    3. Reward most expensive quote the job because that’s probably what the cheap guy is gonna end up charging.

LOT of truth in that Spent 25 yrs in commercial construction , beat my head up against wall at times at some of the prices I would see coming in and after it was said and done GC's would call us grumbling and ask us to bail them out

Why I am skeptical about AHP, like people I KNOW Hoping they will see it my way

Quote Originally Posted by tprice View Post
    LOT of truth in that Spent 25 yrs in commercial construction , beat my head up against wall at times at some of the prices I would see coming in and after it was said and done GC's would call us grumbling and ask us to bail them out

Why I am skeptical about AHP, like people I KNOW Hoping they will see it my way
    I was at first. They have many different plans and basic packages as far as fixtures, cabinets, paints, flooring, pretty much walk you through the entire process. I tried to go with local guys but they acted like it was more of a hassel to do a turn key than it was worth to them outside the commercial jobs they had planned and homes already in progress. AHP did a good job on our home and was easy to work with. Anything that needed to be fixed or redone was and documented. Any concerns I had it anything I thought needed to be fixed was. Only reason any price changed for us was the original quote by the time we got to building due to banks with covid BS had changed a little becuase of supplies. We ended up 10,000 under the original price in the end anyhow. Would have been more but we ended up going with a well instead and had then handle all that.
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

I do all of their work in the chas area and like mentioned most of the homes are pretty basic. With that said they are way better built then the 700 other homes I do for national builders. If you don’t have people lined up right now to do all phases of construction I would not attempt to build yourself. The building industry is so busy right now no one wants to fool with a single house dealing directly with a homeowner. If they are considering using AHP I would recommend them.

Quote Originally Posted by dhall1693 View Post
    I’m a product of a divorce due to a house build. I’ll give you my number and be transparent about everything to suspect.
    I read that the number 1 reason for divorce in the US is financial stress, loss of job, etc. Number 2 are issues arising from children and the Number 3 is building or remodeling a home.

Let's just say that, I agree, ask me how I know. MG. (not related at all to AHP)
    Dum Spiro Spero

1. Find house plan.
    I hear that a lot, especially on renovations. I have an open estimate policy, I show people the numbers, my overhead and profit etc. I get the, so and so is cheaper a lot. I also get the, so and so ended up charging me X by the time the job was done. Or I get a call can you fix this.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie Glover View Post
    I read that the number 1 reason for divorce in the US is financial stress, loss of job, etc. Number 2 are issues arising from children and the Number 3 is building or remodeling a home.

Let's just say that, I agree, ask me how I know. MG. (not related at all to AHP)
    Those aren’t reasons, they’re excuses. The main cause of divorce, IMO, is that people are too selfish to to do what it takes to have healthy marriages, combine that with how easy it is to get divorced, and there you have it. It’s just another reason our society is crumbing. May even be the number 1 reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Edisto life View Post
    no one wants to fool with a single house dealing directly with a homeowner.

What you meant to say was that nobody wants to fool with a cheap house one step above a manufactured home when people are begging to get in line for good custom home builders.

Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post
    Those aren’t reasons, they’re excuses. The main cause of divorce, IMO, is that people are too selfish to to do what it takes to have healthy marriages, combine that with how easy it is to get divorced, and there you have it. It’s just another reason our society is crumbing. May even be the number 1 reason.
    Maybe you are right about the reason. But it’s not easy to get divorced.

Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post
    That and fucking people you ain’t married to.

Quote Originally Posted by darealdeal View Post
    I was at first. They have many different plans and basic packages as far as fixtures, cabinets, paints, flooring, pretty much walk you through the entire process. I tried to go with local guys but they acted like it was more of a hassel to do a turn key than it was worth to them outside the commercial jobs they had planned and homes already in progress. AHP did a good job on our home and was easy to work with. Anything that needed to be fixed or redone was and documented. Any concerns I had it anything I thought needed to be fixed was. Only reason any price changed for us was the original quote by the time we got to building due to banks with covid BS had changed a little becuase of supplies. We ended up 10,000 under the original price in the end anyhow. Would have been more but we ended up going with a well instead and had then handle all that.
    Thanks. Guess like anything some have good experiences and some do not

Talked with one of my clients this am that used them for their new house. He recommended them highly

Quote Originally Posted by Edisto life View Post
    I do all of their work in the chas area and like mentioned most of the homes are pretty basic. With that said they are way better built then the 700 other homes I do for national builders. If you don’t have people lined up right now to do all phases of construction I would not attempt to build yourself. The building industry is so busy right now no one wants to fool with a single house dealing directly with a homeowner. If they are considering using AHP I would recommend them.

THANKS

This has been very helpful for them.

They are a young couple with good jobs but not looking to build a $500K+ custom home. Like any young family they are working with a budget that they can live with and still enjoy life

Great place they have to build a house

SIL has no family other than us so he leans on me for advice Just trying to help them as much as possible
    Last edited by tprice; 02-28-2021 at 11:10 AM.

It’s all about expectations. Go walk through some of their houses under construction and some recently finished. Don’t expect to have anything better/nicer than what you see in those walkthroughs unless you include it in the contract up front.

Quote Originally Posted by darealdeal View Post

Just an update. They did meet with AHP yesterday and daughter really like their system

I have visited a few sites in the area AHP is building and looks fine to me, very familiar with construction process and the main thing the owners told me was the coordination was spot on for most part

I can be anal retentive about finish work so I see things others do not , finish work was pretty good but about what I expected.

With that said they are at least going to sit down with my hunting partner and talk to him.

Got to get all their info to Ag South, this seems best route for financing with land involved and couple of mortgage brokers there are clients of mine (like doing business with those that do business with me if possible )

Son in law has basically left it up to me and our daughter, he just wants me to make sure of the details for them

One thing both were impressed with was once they pick out plans, colors, finishes and etc AHP has a virtual walk through so they can see it more in real life

Now for another question , pros/cons to building beside a pond.

They have 45 acres which is on the corner of 2 roads however despite 45 acres they seem some what limited as to where they can build When you go down the side road they have a small pond and beside it is a hillside which is highest spot on land This part is pretty much protected by nice homes in front and on the other side so they can control what ever is around them here (bulk of their land would be behind and beside them

Pond needs a little work, not very deep and grown up w grass in one end (going to get some grass carp for the pond this week ) Pond would be about 75-100 yards from house but below it and could be nice grass hill doing down to pond

Never lived on a pond before. Any pros/cons to this. To me house would look great overlooking pond and with little TLC be great looking pond

Also my question is I assume you can make a pond bigger as well ?? Far side of pond is kind of low spot and fairly flat and I am thinking with track hoe it can be dug out and expandied some
    Last edited by tprice; 10-10-2021 at 06:11 AM.

I would be nervous of mosquitoes and other aggravating bugs living right next to a stagnant pond

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    This.

you beat me to it

I would say this is the number one reason.

if building a house under normal circumstances is the number 3 cause for divorce, I would say that building a house during a pandemic might just take the top spot. Not sure if anyone in the know is seeing the light at the end of the tunnel with supply chain issues and labor shortages, but you will lose some years off your life building a house at the moment.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    -Samuel Adams

Sorry for reviving this one. Maybe it will help someone.
    My relatives in Hattiesburg went with America's Home Place for their new house. Overall, they were quite satisfied with the process and the end result. The construction was relatively quick, and the quality of work met their expectations.
    I would have considered America's Home Place for my own house, but unfortunately, they don't build in Lafayette, where I live. So I opted for a local company of home builders, Gatte Construction (in case someone needs a good alternative in the area)
    Last edited by SCFoxman; 03-11-2024 at 08:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tprice View Post
    I have a couple of good friends that are GC’s/clients and to me that is the route I would go but both of them are pretty much booked up for the year but would work it in for me.
    This is a bad idea. Contract with a reputable builder that is not your friend and stay friends with your friends.