Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Experience with America’s Home place for new house

Default Experience with America’s Home place for new house

Daughter/SIL getting ready to build a house on their property sometime this year

They have had a couple friends use Americas Home Place for the build and were very satisfied

I have a couple of good friends that are GC’s/clients and to me that is the route I would go but both of them are pretty much booked up for the year but would work it in for me One of them even told me from what he has seen AHP does a decent job and is known for getting people in houses fairly quickly Just said to be careful of any CO’s or extras you want that is not in original contract because normally that is where you get burned some what

Figured someone on here may have some real life experience with them

It’s all about expectations. They just need to know it’s not going to be a nicely finished custom house. Cheaper finishing, not much molding, etc. if they find a house plan they like and don’t need to change it could work out. Like you said, if you make any changes to their plans, they charge a good bit extra and won’t be far off of what a custom job would be. Also remember their price usually only includes I think 2 paint colors, carpet in the dining room and bedrooms, stuff like that. You start changing things and the cost goes up

My BIL used them and his house turned out fine. You can just tell when you walk through it that it feels a little cheap as there’s just not much there other than floor and drywall. No crown molding, fireplace, cabinets sub par, etc. If they would have spent another $30-40k that house would be really nice. Some people don’t care about stuff like that, but if it’s your forever home and not out of budget, it’s nice to have
    Last edited by Remy; 02-27-2021 at 07:30 AM.

I would check the board of directors' browser histories and divorce records before I even looked at the quality of their homes.

I just finished a full remodel on our home built in 68. If your not a GC with dependable subs, it’s nearly impossible to get subs to do one off work right now. In other words, I would not consider attempting to sub out a build. I don’t think the juice is worth the squeeze right now. I did a majority of the work myself, but the things I needed help on were impossible to find.

AHP is a shit builder.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    I would check the board of directors' browser histories and divorce records before I even looked at the quality of their homes.
    Don't forget social media posts and their diversity and inclusion policies

Cutting corners and doing bare minimum code allows seem to be the norm for larger regional/national builders. There are small guys that do the same as well.

If I were building long term home I would talk to 2-3 local custom builders with good reputations. Worth it to pay a little more per sf up front to get a better quality product that will last generations IMO.

Edit to add: nice finishes inside won’t amount to much if the framing and exterior isn’t built to last. They can always upgrade finishes down the road if they need to save money on something. Or pick a plan that could be added onto down the road if need more room.
    Last edited by cusportsman; 02-27-2021 at 10:28 AM.
    *2008 & 2009 Bream World Champion*

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    "The Gamecocks are hammered dog shit"

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post

Boy you are really full of class but if that makes you feel better so be it

Quote Originally Posted by Remy View Post
    It’s all about expectations. They just need to know it’s not going to be a nicely finished custom house. Cheaper finishing, not much molding, etc. if they find a house plan they like and don’t need to change it could work out. Like you said, if you make any changes to their plans, they charge a good bit extra and won’t be far off of what a custom job would be. Also remember their price usually only includes I think 2 paint colors, carpet in the dining room and bedrooms, stuff like that. You start changing things and the cost goes up

My BIL used them and his house turned out fine. You can just tell when you walk through it that it feels a little cheap as there’s just not much there other than floor and drywall. No crown molding, fireplace, cabinets sub par, etc. If they would have spent another $30-40k that house would be really nice. Some people don’t care about stuff like that, but if it’s your forever home and not out of budget, it’s nice to have
    Thanks

Kind of what I figured

The details are what makes a difference to me in the long run

Appreciate the info They were asking me and really know nothing about them

Sounds basically like a tract homebuilder on your own land to me Nothing wrong with that if it works for you

Shoot me a PM and I’ll give you a local name.

As for the “watch out for CO’s and extras because that’s where they’ll get ya” comment let’s take a minute and think about that.....they’re called “change orders” for a reason, you’re changing the scope of what was bid. Same with “extras”, they’re something that was not in the original bid. Do the people making those comments honestly think that the builder should eat the cost of you changing your mind??? No, they shouldn’t. You agreed to have them build something for you at a cost. The change orders and extras were not part of that cost. The builders also schedule around the work they have contracted. When you change something it affects not only your bottom dollar, but also their schedule. That means someone else is having to wait because you changed your mind. That’s fine, you’re allowed to change your mind, just understand that there are costs associated with doing so and those costs are on you, the one that made the changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Shoot me a PM and I’ll give you a local name.

As for the “watch out for CO’s and extras because that’s where they’ll get ya” comment let’s take a minute and think about that.....they’re called “change orders” for a reason, you’re changing the scope of what was bid. Same with “extras”, they’re something that was not in the original bid. Do the people making those comments honestly think that the builder should eat the cost of you changing your mind??? No, they shouldn’t. You agreed to have them build something for you at a cost. The change orders and extras were not part of that cost. The builders also schedule around the work they have contracted. When you change something it affects not only your bottom dollar, but also their schedule. That means someone else is having to wait because you changed your mind. That’s fine, you’re allowed to change your mind, just understand that there are costs associated with doing so and those costs are on you, the one that made the changes.

No way, builders make a ton of money, they should give it away and pay for someone’s dreams.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by tprice View Post
    Boy you are really full of class but if that makes you feel better so be it
    It's not about class. But could you imagine letting someone who's divorced build your house ?

Just gotta decide what tier they want....
    AHP is like a Carolina skiff...

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Please support March of Dimes

www.marchforbabies.org/MadelineRai

We do a bunch of surveying for them. They pay their bills is about all I can tell you about them. Ohh, and they don't build a thing, they subcontract everything.

Just got done with a house from them. Everything is subcontracted out. They have people that oversee everything.
    With that said..... The guy over our area did very well. Was out at the site checking in regularly and made sure the guys did what they where suppose to. Anything that needed to be corrected or fixed was done.
    I did check with some local guys before hand and all of them seemed like it was more trouble to build one right now than it is worth and hardly anyone responded.
    Process with AHP was easy enough. I would suggest if you can the time to do all the permits yourself will save money. I had them do everything. We upgraded a few things from there basic packages. I know of at least 4 other homes being built by AHP not far from myself they are throwing them up that is for sure.
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

I’m a product of a divorce due to a house build. I’ll give you my number and be transparent about everything to suspect.
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Indeed, yet I have killed no Jack Miners today, this month, or this season as our boy DHall has. I am more jealous of his awesome pig of a bird than everyone else combined.

First Peter 5:7 "Cast all your care upon God"

Quote Originally Posted by darealdeal View Post
    Just got done with a house from them. Everything is subcontracted out. They have people that oversee everything.
    With that said..... The guy over our area did very well. Was out at the site checking in regularly and made sure the guys did what they where suppose to. Anything that needed to be corrected or fixed was done.
    I did check with some local guys before hand and all of them seemed like it was more trouble to build one right now than it is worth and hardly anyone responded.
    Process with AHP was easy enough. I would suggest if you can the time to do all the permits yourself will save money. I had them do everything. We upgraded a few things from there basic packages. I know of at least 4 other homes being built by AHP not far from myself they are throwing them up that is for sure.
    Why would you as the owner ever want or try to permit anything yourself. Heck as a builder, I’d never let you.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    Why would you as the owner ever want or try to permit anything yourself. Heck as a builder, I’d never let you.
    They give you the option to. Don't have to. Heck the different builders I actually got to talk to first wouldn't do anything until I got the permits started.... I think it was more of them not wanting another build. They will do everything but they will charge you as well. The will give you the option to do permits yourself.
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Quote Originally Posted by darealdeal View Post
    Thanks man. I will pass this along to them.

Next time I build a house I will do it differently. When someone is cheaper there is a reason. My builder was a habitual liar.

1. Find house plan.
    2. Find most expensive quote.
    3. Reward most expensive quote the job because that’s probably what the cheap guy is gonna end up charging.
    Last edited by raybird; 02-28-2021 at 07:45 AM.
    Windows Down!