Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Those men

Default Those men

Everyone has had those men in their lives that have helped mold them. I don’t make this post for attention as much as I do as a tribute to one of those men that are few and few between these days. Cut from different a different cloth and from molds not made anymore.

My Grandad

Mr. Henry Oliver Dukes, Sr., age 92, entered into rest on Wednesday, February 24, 2021, at his home in Orangeburg SC. Born in Cattle Creek, SC on March 25, 1928, he was a son of the late Charlie and Olivia Metts Dukes. Mr. Dukes served our country honorably in the U.S. Army, which he joined on March 25, 1947. Over the course of 22 years, he served around the globe including Korea and Vietnam, retiring from the U.S. Army as a Sergeant First Class in 1969. He was awarded the National Defense Service Medal (1st Oak Leaf Cluster), United Nations Service Medal, Vietnam Service Medal, Good Conduct Medal (3rd Award), and the Army of Occupation Medal (Germany-Japan). He owned and operated Dukes Electrical in Orangeburg. Henry was an accomplished penmaker and enjoyed turning wood into beautiful pieces of art. He will always be remembered as a true southern gentleman who loved his family and his community, always willing to give to his fellowman and help in any way that he could.
    Surviving are: his daughter, Wanda Padgett (Ricky) of Rowesville, and his son, Henry Dukes, Jr. (Stephanie) of Lexington; seven grandchildren, Ricky Padgett (Angie), Rachael Padgett, Megan McCormick (Michael), Lance Dukes (Shantelle), Marshall Dukes, Alexandria Batton (Brent), and Dylan Dukes; 10 great grandchildren, Lexus Dukes, Rayna Hill, Riley Padgett, Olivia Hill, Kasen Padgett, twins Rory and Ryver Qualls, Sabra McCormick, Ellie Dukes, and Amelia McCormick. He was preceded in death by his wife of 54 years, Peggy Sinclair Dukes, whom he married on September 7, 1956; brothers Lewis, C.W., Irvin, and David Dukes, and sisters Louella Beasley, Vernon Farmer, and Anna Metta Bair.
    In lieu of flowers, the family has suggested that memorial contributions be directed in his memory to First Baptist Church of Orangeburg, P.O. Box 637, Orangeburg, SC. 29116.
    Funeral services will be conducted at 3 o’clock Monday afternoon, March 1, 2021, at First Baptist Church of Orangeburg SC, with Reverend Ryan Tucker officiating. Pallbearers will be grandsons Lance Dukes, Ricky Padgett Jr., Marshall Dukes, Dylan Dukes, and Michael McCormick. Honorary Pallbearers will be his great grandchildren and the Agape Sunday school class. The family will receive friends one hour prior to the service at First Baptist Church of Orangeburg. Burial with full Military Honors will be on Wednesday, March 3, 2021, at Fort Jackson National Cemetery, at 2 o’clock for family and close friends.

Editorial written on My Grandfather 2 years ago.

It has been exactly 50 years since Henry Dukes retired from the U.S. Army in 1969. He joined on March 25, 1947, and over the course of 22 years served around the globe.

His training as a wheel vehicle mechanic took him initially to Atlanta Ordnance Department and then on to Maryland for training in track wheel mechanics. Upon re-enlistment, he was sent to Japan in 1949, where he was assigned to the Yokohama Ordnance Department just before the beginning of the Korean War.

“On Monday, 26 June 1950 we started hauling ammo to the ships in Yokohama port. After the ships were loaded, I was transferred to the 570 Ordnance Company and we loaded on three LSTs and sailed for Pusan,” Dukes writes.

He spent nine months in Pusan before heading back to Japan and then on back to the U.S. He arrived in Orangeburg on Christmas Day 1951. After leave, he went to the site of his basic training at Fort Jackson and then on to Fort Rucker before being discharged from the Army in December 1952.

But his military career was not over, with Dukes re-enlisting and being sent to France, where he spent 36 months. From there it was on to Fort Riley in Kansas and ultimately to Fourth Calvary Recon as a tank mechanic until 1959.

The next stop was Iceland and then Fort Hood, Texas, before being sent to Alaska in 1964, spending 30 months there. After 15 months back at Fort Hood, it was off to Vietnam, where he served until returning home on emergency leave and retiring on the last day of July 1969.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by ccleroy; 02-26-2021 at 09:42 PM.

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

Sorry for your loss, Ricky.

And a fine tribute it is. One of the Old Guard. Thankful for men like him, and you were fortunate to have him. Continued prayers for you snd your family my friend!

Sorry for your loss.

I wish I could go back in time and take better notes on conversations I had with my grandfather.

You were a very lucky guy to have someone of his caliber in your life.

Godspeed, Mr. Dukes...
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Sounds like a great man! I miss my granddaddys everyday both had a very influential part in my life both as a man of faith and an outdoorsman. I’d give anything to have my kids have them around. Sorry for y’all loss it’s truly a loss for the population losing the men and women of that generation the were a different breed

Sorry for your loss Ricky. God speed and prayers to your family
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Prayers for you and your family Ricky.

Sorry to hear buddy. Truly a part of some of the greatest generation of men to walk this Earth.

Rip to a great man. Sorry to hear buddy. Great tribute
    Quote Originally Posted by BOG View Post
    Tip:
    Although it is natural for you and seems to be out of your hands, try to suppress your natural inclination towards dumbassedness and do some research of your own.I wish you luck.
    Tekton Game Calls
    http://tektongamecalls.com

92 is a heck of a run. Well done Mr Dukes! Thank you for your service.

Prayers for you and your family Ricky.
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

A life well lived...

My condolences and prayers brother. Hate you lost him, but very glad you had him.
    Genesis 9;2

Very sorry to hear of your loss Ricky. I lost my father two weeks ago. When someone who has an impact on your life beyond measure, there is a hole left inside that is nearly indescribable. On the day my father passed, my 5 year old daughter said “daddy, Grand got to see Jesus face to face today” with the biggest smile I’ve ever seen on her. Faith like a child is both inspirational and true. Godspeed Henry Dukes.

God speed good sir...sorry for your loss

Sorry for your loss. Cherish the memories.
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    A life well lived...
    Indeed.

Sorry for your loss.

Sorry for your loss.

Great read, CC. Helluva man!

Prayers sent.