Thread: Atv kill switch

Default Atv kill switch

2005 Rancher AT. Normally when I cut it off, I just turn the key. For some reason, I hit the kill switch to turn it off. Now, I can’t get any power, lights, etc when I turn the key on. It will start with the pull cord and give me power on the dash. Maybe the kill switch went bad?

Check the fuses near the battery. If not one of them, it's one of the electrical boxes mounted under the front (get in front of the 4wheeler and look up towards the handlebars). DBelectric will have what you need. It's not the CDI box if it starts.

Mike
    Last edited by 3 1/2" MAGUM; 02-25-2021 at 08:57 PM.

Will the switch cut it off now? May be switch not making connection, but should not start if so. Look for inline fuse and check ground. Just a couple of easy things to check.

Fuses are good. I’ll check those other two ideas. Thx fellas.

I know you probably have, but check the battery with a voltmeter.

Yep, battery is a week old. This happened right after the first time the kill switch has been used in a few years.

Toggle the kill switch back and forth 15-20 times, put in run and try again. Might have a little corrosion inside the switch. My old Rancher did the same thing and this fixed it.

Does your kill switch, I assume it's the stop-run-stop red switch on all Honda 4wheelers, actually cut the lights off? I know on my older fourtrax it only kills the motor. I did some more thinking on this and I believe it was the voltage regulator that I replaced when mine did it. I have one that DB sent me that was the wrong model that I never returned. If we can match it up, you can have it.

93FD60A3-6854-497D-B2E6-1AFA8C0AAD12.jpg
    F644E121-72F7-47E6-B1B2-B83BE937CE36.jpg
    EB02468A-DF4E-4C66-8F94-D33D2227D509.jpg

It has a 3 yellow wire plug and a red & green 2 wire plug. The 2 wire plug was my issue.

Mike