Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ever start something simple and get carried away? First official Wingbone Build

Default Ever start something simple and get carried away? First official Wingbone Build

So, I have the wingbones from the turkeys I killed last year, and I decided it was time to get to work making some calls. Watched some youtube, and it seems simple enough. I decided that I'd make three and give the biggest and "best" one to my buddy Will; I gave him a push-pull spring box last year, and he was able to call his first turkeys in close enough to get him hooked but not close enough to kill before they wigged out. We've been looking forward to doing some serious turkey chasing this spring, so I figured I'd add another call to his arsenal. I put it together, scratched my maker's mark, year, and his initials in it, and noticed that the bell bone looked a lot like a turkey's head and snood. Well, one thing led to another, and two days and about 10 hours later, I'm done with it. My wife wants me to keep it and hand it down to the boys, but I already scratched his initials in it. The cool thing is, though, ol' Will will be returning the stuff I've made him to the boys one day down the line, and it will mean an ton more to them then...and he's going to dig the fugg out of it when he gets it. I hope I can use one of these wingbone trumpets to kill a bird this year. I've got a lot of practicing to do, because I cant make it sound anything like a turkey with any consistency yet. Anyhoo...here is what started out to be a 30 minute project. The two arrowheads are two points I was finally able to knap into something that I think will fly true and kill a deer this fall. I'm getting better, but I need to learn how to reproduce points of the same size and weights. Those two represent about 85 total grains, and it only took me ruining a little over two hundred pounds of rock to make them. So, here is stuff I do when I don't have stuff to do.
    ;;
    ;
    Last edited by WhitewaterDuck; 02-25-2021 at 05:15 PM.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

I haven’t, but I have a friend who has. Started out building a shelf two and half years ago. Still ain’t done and God only knows what it’s morphed into by now.

Good work right there. Would be cool to kill one with that call and one of your homemade bows. Keep us updated.

I've got a buddy in W TN that uses one a lot. He has an instructional video on them. I don't know anything about them.

Quote Originally Posted by FULLCHOKE View Post
    Good work right there. Would be cool to kill one with that call and one of your homemade bows. Keep us updated.
    Bwwwaaaahhha! You must not follow my turkey hunting posts! I’ll be very happy if I can call one in with a wing bone; I’ll be jacked to actually get my dot on him and pull the trigger. I’m not even going to fantasize about being able to kill one with a stick and string. But I do appreciate the kind words and optimisim!

Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox View Post
    I've got a buddy in W TN that uses one a lot. He has an instructional video on them. I don't know anything about them.

Cool you know this dood. I watch his hunt vids, and appreciate the chilled-out nature of his hunts. His video is what I watched to figure out how to build one. There’s not much to it, but he does a good job detailing the parts you could easily screw up. Saw a recent vid, and he’s running that thing like a champ with some whines and almost kee-kee sounding inflections.

Cat is pretty much a self taught hunter. None of his family hunted. Heck he didn't start hunting until probably 10 years ago. He's come a long way.

I found even Jake wing bones to be too big. One day in 2001 I was headed to Aiken and just this side of Edgefield there was a hen in the road that had been hit by a car. I scooped her ass up and made 2 calls as neither wing was damaged. They were sweet sounding calls.

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    I found even Jake wing bones to be too big. One day in 2001 I was headed to Aiken and just this side of Edgefield there was a hen in the road that had been hit by a car. I scooped her ass up and made 2 calls as neither wing was damaged. They were sweet sounding calls.
    The best sounding one I made is from the bearded hen I killed last year. As to your roadkill pick-up...I have a very entertaining story about the day/night/day I drove out here for the first time in April 2018. It involves a blown trailer tire, replacement tire of a smaller size, a roadkill, non-merriams jake that died 200yards in front of my truck, two old ladies I’d never met, near-rupture bladder, and a backwoods deputy sheriff...and a clear lesson to never pick up a dead turkey you don’t have a tag for, because it could cost you your life! While y’all are conditioned to my lack of brevity, this one will take a while but will be worth the read.

Knapping is addicting isn't it. I'm no pro but I can generally get what I want as an outcome. Holler if you need an outside pov.
    2013 Spring Turkey Champs

Oh and good looking yelper
    2013 Spring Turkey Champs

Quote Originally Posted by WhitewaterDuck View Post
    The best sounding one I made is from the bearded hen I killed last year. As to your roadkill pick-up...I have a very entertaining story about the day/night/day I drove out here for the first time in April 2018. It involves a blown trailer tire, replacement tire of a smaller size, a roadkill, non-merriams jake that died 200yards in front of my truck, two old ladies I’d never met, near-rupture bladder, and a backwoods deputy sheriff...and a clear lesson to never pick up a dead turkey you don’t have a tag for, because it could cost you your life! While y’all are conditioned to my lack of brevity, this one will take a while but will be worth the read.
    I will definitely read that, but that’s a story best told around a fire!

Oh, and I just removed the wings and stashed the carcass on the side of the road.

I haven’t, but I have a friend who has. Started out building a shelf two and half years ago. Still ain’t done and God only knows what it’s morphed into by now.
    Hogwash.

You ain't got no friends.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

Wow. Now that hurts.

So sensitive all the sudden.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

I can’t wrap my brain around someone living to hurt others.

Quote Originally Posted by Simple Man View Post
    Hogwash.

You ain't got no friends.

This round goes to the Skrimple Main
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Maybe my non friend will send me a picture of him sitting on it.......

Then I too will be able to play “elf on a shelf” come the holiday season.