Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seadek, Hydroturf owners

Default Seadek, Hydroturf owners

I did use the search function but most threads are pretty old.
    How have these products held up for you?
    Stains? Blood, grease, etc? How hard is it to clean?

Thanks in advance.

Have had hydroturf in my last few mud rigs and it has held up fine. Multiple gators, piles of ducks and geese, etc etc, and never had any issue getting it clean. Now the gator blood took some extra convincing but it eventually would come out. My boats always stay under the lean to, so never had it start breaking down due to direct sunlight/weather.

Only time I ever disliked the stuff was the last duck run. Crawfish juice and turf makes for one hella slick surface. I busted my ass bigly jumping back in my boat out of a buddies.

I have had both on multiple boats with no issues

Not trying to derail, but how does the Sea Dek, or similar, hold up in direct sun (boat on jet dock)? I assume blood washes off as long as you don't let it bake in the sun for a day?

Give Dek-it a look. SC company based in Awendaw
    Last edited by MDman; 02-25-2021 at 05:09 PM.
    "To the sensitive gunner nothing can equal a bird and a dog and a gun in trilogy."
    George Bird Evans

Hydro turf is good easy to clean. Some issues with breaking down in the sun after years but not bad. Made the jon boat a whole different rig. Non slip and not hot as hell in the summer.
    More Ducks, Less People

Quote Originally Posted by First Coat View Post
    Not trying to derail, but how does the Sea Dek, or similar, hold up in direct sun (boat on jet dock)? I assume blood washes off as long as you don't let it bake in the sun for a day?
    I don’t think any type of Eva foam will hold up year after year in daily direct sunlight. Sea dek and hydroturf both work very well and clean easily. I think the biggest benefit IMO is zero heat on aluminum in the summer and traction when wet. Frost on a duck boat vs turf is still slick. I will post a picture tomorrow of a boat at work if I remember. It’s a 2014 with original sea dek stored in direct sunlight 24/7

Hyrdo turf made it about eight years or so in mine, just replaced it this year.. the last year or so the pressure washer kinda got it. Basically direct sun light, I never covered it or anything. I'm sure it would hold up a lot longer with some ocd anal types.

How much does this stuff cost? Do y'all just buy a big sheet and cut to fit or go the custom route?

Depends on what you’re doing and how skilled you are. I was doing an old jon boat, and bought big sheets of the peel and stick hydroturf. It’s not hard to cut to size and stick down. For a jon boat it looks fine, if I was doing an expensive center console or the like I might pay someone.
    More Ducks, Less People

I have used SeaDek, Hydroturf, and the cheap EVA sheets for different projects over time. Seadek was by far superior. Any stain I had pressure washed off.

That being said it did hold dirt and moisture against the hull. I opted to remove it and not put any back on my deck.

It can be a great way to hide that soft spot you don't want to fix correctly.

I was quoted $1700 from DEK-IT to do my 17' Center Console. Flip flops work just fine at that price.... They did have the best warranty in the business though at 3 years on the material. Owner told me with proper care you should get 7-8 years out of it before needing replacement. He said if left uncovered in direct sun to expect 5-6 years.

3yr old vs 8yr old sea dek

[QUOTE=Highstrung;2851707]Hyrdo turf made it about eight years or so in mine, just replaced it this year.. the last year or so the pressure washer kinda got it. Basically direct sun light, I never covered it or anything. I'm sure it would hold up a lot longer with some ocd anal types.[/QUOTE

Im in the same boat. My stayed out in the the direct sun but has finally started to break down. Ill be replacing this year with Hydro again.

Gone South, thanks for the pictures.

Hydro turf . Put in this past July. Make sure to purchase with 3m adhesive already on.
    Love it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah don’t be frugal like me and think you’ll save some money with a little more effort. Save yourself a ton of frustration and get the one with the 3M adhesive already on. It’s worth it even if they charged double for it.
    Last edited by Remy; 03-02-2021 at 07:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by union View Post

Hydro turf . Put in this past July. Make sure to purchase with 3m adhesive already on.
    Love it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have the same on mine and have been very pleased.

I do not own any of it my self but from what I have seen it does not hold up well to sunlight and high traffic areas...
    I’ve saw a Ski boats back platform look terrible after 2 summers of use. I’ve also seen it in the floor of a elite series pros boat and it was showing wear not even a year old.
    Last edited by SWAMPLIFE z71; 03-02-2021 at 08:10 PM.

I’ve had both hydro turf and sea dek. Both had the adhesive on the back. Seadek in my opinion is better. The edges of the hydro turf came up pretty quick and smaller pieces cut to fit came up all together. I did buy the hydro turf seconds or the off size and the normal actual sea dek so that may or may not have had part of my results.