Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Huntable species of turkey

the sad part is we scared away the tfc crowd too early.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Y’all are worse about TFC than ECU is about Clemson
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

thats just plain mean
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by DJP View Post
    I've seen people whistle up a quail. Little bird even strutted in the road right in front of us. That should definitely count.

A headshot quail (with a .22) will spring about 7 feet straight up in the air. Allegedly...

And grouse too. On the box checking. Their strut and display is the coolest...

One of the coolest things I have seen/heard while turkey hunting, was a predawn western Gobbler burning it down as a 1 lb Ruffed Grouse hopped onto a downed tree and drummed and strutted back and forth on the log. Matching the Gobbler as loud as his little body could. It went on for about 20 minutes until the Gobbler walked into range and got mashed.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

I have heard them going at it, but never seen it. I'd imagine seeing that is one of those woodsman moments that sticks with you forever...

That particular place is loaded with Ruffies and Spruce grouse. The Spruce models roost in Doug Fir mostly and will chastise you loudly as you walk under them.

We have had close encounters with Elk walking into the set up, Bears stalking in on us and most nerve wracking of all, a Cougar slipping in and popping up over a ridgeline at 5 yards .. they are silent walkers for sure. Makes the hairs on one's neck stand up for sure.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

I bet. A full grown goofy bear that you can hear coming for a quarter mile, can suddenly start cruising through 4 inches of dry leaves as silent as an ant. A sneaky assed cougar is operating at a whole other level...

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post

most nerve wracking of all, a Cougar slipping in and popping up over a ridgeline at 5 yards .. they are silent walkers for sure. Makes the hairs on one's neck stand up for sure.
    I would tell y’all about my run in with a mountain lion/cougar/panther down in the Wateree swamp in Horatio back in the early 80’s, except everyone knows there aren’t any in SC.

Or not.
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

The dude we hunt with out west loads up when we run into a cat. Goes and gets the hounds. Runs it to a tree and whacks every damn one he can. He's consistent.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post

Solid reason to learn the water drop bubble cluck