Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dominion closing Wateree Station

I just went to Virginia for ice storm restoration all last week. All I can say is I miss SCEG more and more each day.
    867-5309

Quote Originally Posted by Relentlous View Post
    I just went to Virginia for ice storm restoration all last week. All I can say is I miss SCEG more and more each day.
    Amen brother ...
    S.C. - Standing alone against Northern aggression since 1861 (LAT)

Can we buy it and keep it running? I don't want to have a Texas situation when you can't generate enough electricity.

What's the smallest coal generator I can build for my neighborhood?

Just watched Planet of the Humans last week. Lots of confirmation of what we all suspect and then some.
    “Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves.” Lord Byron

Quote Originally Posted by scdiver View Post
    Can we buy it and keep it running? I don't want to have a Texas situation when you can't generate enough electricity.

What's the smallest coal generator I can build for my neighborhood?

Texas couldn't generate power because they chose not to follow their own reports from when the same thing happened in 2011 (or 2012, whatever) when "green" energy wasn't much of a thing. Failure to winterize and plan is what caused it's failure, not wind or solar. Oh, and their determination to remain off the US grid and not to have to follow those pesky federal regulations, so they couldn't borrow power from other states. Wind and solar can work in frigid temperatures, if you plan for them. If Alaska can make it work, surely Texas can.

You get what you sow. If Texas had 0 solar and 0 wind generation, they would have had the same result.

You get what you sow. If Texas had 0 solar and 0 wind generation, they would have had the same result.[/QUOTE]

Would love to know how you came to this conclusion

Quote Originally Posted by redhead25 View Post
    Would love to know how you came to this conclusion
    Do you think solar and wind were the only thing not producing power in TX a couple weeks ago?

Never said that but to say that if they had 0 solar and wind it would have been the same result is simply not true. You obviously have no idea what it takes to forecast loads with all that wind and solar. If you have no wind and solar, it is much easier to run your plants because the load output can remain fairly constant. If you run all your generating stations and then the load from wind/solar doesn’t take a dip, you are producing way to much power and you will have to explain to the Regulators why you have all that output you are charging customers for, when it wasn’t needed. The public in general has no idea what it takes to forecast power normally, much less all the difficulty when you throw in solar and wind. Remember that when cloud cover comes over and your solar output goes from 100 MW down to 3 MW in 30 minutes, you can’t crank up a coal plant or even a gas plant and make that up instantaneously