Thread: Prescribed Burn Timing

Default Prescribed Burn Timing

I have a about 15 acres of land behind my house that I would like to burn, mainly to clean up brush. It is about an 8 year old clearcut naturally regrown thick with a few spots of random mature (30"+ DBH loblollies and water oaks) timber. There is also a 500 square foot patch of bamboo that I'd like gone. I'd like to keep from killing the few mature trees and kill off the 2-3" sweet gums, chinaberries, and mimosas on the edges.

The property is bordered by a road on one side, so I'm limited on basically one wind direction allowing me to burn due to smoke management.

Is my best bet an early growing season burn in mid March (or later) my best option? It would be an ordeal to hack and squirt all of the undesirables, especially when the desired timber makes up a very minimal portion of the land.

this will turn into the muddy road thread. lots of the opinions will coincide but they wont be the one you were hoping for...

(wait for it....)
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Go ahead and burn it when conditions are right and follow up with a timely herbicide application.
    You're likely NOT going to kill those hardwoods with a first time fire...
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    Go ahead and burn it when conditions are right and follow up with a timely herbicide application.
    You're likely NOT going to kill those hardwoods with a first time fire...
    What about 1/2-3/4" sweet gums?

i just wanna know how he got 30" trees in 8 years in the middle of a clearcut....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by Smilee View Post
    What about 1/2-3/4" sweet gums?
    The thing most people don't understand is many hardwood sapling are simply coppice (sprouting) from older stumps and roots.
    Roots from other tress also graft together.
    Therefore, they have damn near unlimited nutrient supplies and it usually take multiple true growing season fires to kill them.
    You will likely kill the sprout and new coppice will develop, but don't expect to kill the tree.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    i just wanna know how he got 30" trees in 8 years in the middle of a clearcut....
    Maybe it was a seed tree cut
    80-20 Genaration

Dropping them DBH acronyms.

U prob already know more than us.

I knew the word copse, but not coppice. Lesson learned. Thank you. Carry on.

*Burn, when you don't need hip boots to set the fire.

If you don't take a leaf blower and clean out around the oak trees you want to keep, you WILL damage them...The longer you wait toward spring but still before ground nesting, the more effective it will be on the sweetgums.

We burn 90% of our allotted 300 acres a year in March, April and may.

Hen and egg killer.

There are some big trees left on old property lines that I'd like to save just because they're older. I hadn't thought about just clearing around them. There are few enough that it would make sense. There's too much terrain change to make anything into a field, so they add character.

There aren't turkeys on my land that I've seen, but I guess some may come into the mess to nest from down the road. I have heard quail though. I appreciate the knowledgeable folk's advice. Pouring rain again now, so who knows if it will ever dry.

I'd go with a tri pinnately compound burn approach

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    The thing most people don't understand is many hardwood sapling are simply coppice (sprouting) from older stumps and roots.
    Roots from other tress also graft together.
    Therefore, they have damn near unlimited nutrient supplies and it usually take multiple true growing season fires to kill them.
    You will likely kill the sprout and new coppice will develop, but don't expect to kill the tree.
    Cali knows what's up. I have been waiting to burn for 3/4 weeks in this weather. Burning will likely have to be pushed into April even though the turkey poets will say I don't care about the flock.

I burned an Ag field and some hedgerows yesterday. Finished that burn and was gonna try and burn a small block of pines but decided to hold off. I looked at the SC Forestry Commission Active burn map and there were 25 other fires going in addition to mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s probably not going to burn well, so wait till April.

At this point, burn, wait until late summer and spray, then burn again

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Reb View Post
    I burned an Ag field and some hedgerows yesterday. Finished that burn and was gonna try and burn a small block of pines but decided to hold off. I looked at the SC Forestry Commission Active burn map and there were 25 other fires going in addition to mine.

I was one of those. Got 30 acres done. Getting after it again Wednesday and Thursday

Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.