Thread: Putting racks on a camper shell

Default Putting racks on a camper shell

Piggy backing the kayak transport thread...

Steelin Ducks got me hooked on camper shells so I had to buy a shell for my new truck, and this one doesnt have racks. I need them for pirogue transport on OOS trips.

You tube shows folks scavaging luggage racks off of mini vans from the junk yard. I'd like an option somewhere between that, and the $1,500 jobbie the boys at A.R.E. wants to put on.

My google does work and I found this:
    https://www.etrailer.com/Roof-Rack/R...k/Y02-490.html but they dont have something in the 8' range...

Options? Columbiacornbread?
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

I've been told that ARE and LEER put supports (plywood, I presume) in their tops ONLY when you order them with racks. You can order them with the tracks installed only and procure and install your racks on your own. And for the love of god, don't buy ARE from Joes truck. They both suck.

Right, they do put extra support in there for racks. Mine is beefier up top than my last one. I have confidence it'll support racks.

Like to add, I plan on adding a single bar rack across the cab to support the length and absorb some weight.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

I didn't have time to read your post, but assume you are worried about the screw holes leaking when you attach the racks to your camper. Here is an alternative solution that might work for you that requires absolutely no drilling...

That looks like a good rack and a reasonable price. You want the tracks to be 8'?

I’ve got the rhino racks on my camper shell and generally use them for the same purpose you described. Rhino makes the fit kits for all the various track systems, so you could get tracks from another vendor in the right length and still go with the rhino racks.

Quote Originally Posted by ColumbiaCornbread View Post
    That looks like a good rack and a reasonable price. You want the tracks to be 8'?
    It doesnt have to be stem to stern, but I also dont want to have to put a dozen different holes in the cap if I dont hit the right one the first time, if you know what I mean. Does Yakima make a track system? Any other vendors? Is a junk yard my best option?

I'd like to not get pigeon holed into a proprietary track system, so I can bridge across different types down the road.
    Last edited by BigBrother; 02-22-2021 at 11:59 AM.