Thread: To Helice With It

Default To Helice With It

Got invited to go to Cherokee Rose south of Atlanta on Sunday for a Helice shoot. Talk about fun! Some of the Helice target flight paths would have made Phil Neikro proud Super nice facility and well managed. Looking forward to going back soon.

Picked up a few Helice targets in between rounds (cranks) and was amazed at how much punishment they could take before separating in two (the objective is to shoot the target and have the white witness cap separate from the orange propeller and land inside the fence). I believe I had 3 or 4 targets that when shot separated but landed outside the fence due to wind/momentum/shooting it later than I should have all of which counted as lost birds. Also had a couple that I shot the orange propeller blades off but the white witness cap stayed intact and those counted as lost birds too.

Overall a great day at a great facility.

Helice target:

Helice.jpg

I want to do one of those shoots one day.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

I've only shot Helice a couple of time. You definitely need to be quick and tight chokes are required.

The Rose is a beautiful gun club with a friendly staff.

If you don't mind me asking, what did it run you per round? I've watched it being shot once and have wanted to do it since.

The Sunday shoots are not officially registered so there's no compulsory fees which drops the price down to $3/target (registered shoots are $4/target). Prior to the event, you can shoot as many practice targets as you would like at $3 each. The event consists of 30 targets. Yesterday I shot 35 targets at $3 each for a total of $105. Well worth the trip from the upstate.

Thanks for the invite. I try to shoot there often. Cody and the new owners have revitalized the Rose for sure. Next time you are planning to come over, PM me if you have room for one.
    Last edited by nitro5x6's; 02-22-2021 at 12:23 PM.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Will do, Nitro. Short notice on my invite... Cody and Ed did a fine job indeed and were very much on top of things including reloading the machines. Sure wish that place was closer.

Me too. Swing by and pick me up!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Sounds incredibly challenging

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Fun or frustrating - depending on how you shoot , or what your expectations are.

One thing for sure, it ain't easy.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    Sounds incredibly challenging

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Like Nitro said, leave your ego and expectations in the truck. I went for fun with no performance expectations and had a big time. Out of the 30 birds I shot during the event, I hit 29 of them breaking off visible pieces. On a clays course that would have been 29/30 which ain't bad for me. However, as noted above, some of the Helice target witness caps flew/blew outside the fence or didn't separate from the propeller even after being hit twice so I ended up with a 23/30. Not sure about the winning score but it was probably close to 25 or 26/30. I'm fairly sure every shooter had at least one witness cap go flying over the fence after being shot. At that point, what else do you do except laugh?

Thats great shooting.

Damn fine shooting.

I will get over there soon for an ego smashing. Cody is looking forward to watching me fall flat.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.