Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: It’s that time of year...I’m buying copperheads.

Quote Originally Posted by santee11 View Post
    There is probably some law against buying snakes.
    I know that you can't buy or sell any game animal meat. I know that there are Timber Rattler seasons in some states where you have to have a permit to take one, and it has to be a certain size and determined to be male. I'm pretty sure that someone selling TRs out of PA would be running into legal issues. I don't think there is anything governing the sale of animal parts when there are no laws governing the killing/protection of the animal itself. In the spirit of the laws that do exist....the reason I'm offering the little money I'm offering is to cover the trouble of carrying around, freezing, boxing, and going to the PO to mail the thing. I thought about offering more to quickly get enough to cover my needs, but I don't want to be incentivizing anyone to go out on copperhead hunts to rake in a pile of cash. If folks can help me out in their routine, typical dispachment of snakes they run into turkey hunting or gardening, great, but I seriously do not want anyone going out of their way to make some money.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

Fine looking bows...

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    Does killing cockroaches make one a pussy?
    Yes my step dad screams like a damn girl when he sees one.
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

Quote Originally Posted by WhitewaterDuck View Post
    I know that you can't buy or sell any game animal meat. I know that there are Timber Rattler seasons in some states where you have to have a permit to take one, and it has to be a certain size and determined to be male. I'm pretty sure that someone selling TRs out of PA would be running into legal issues. I don't think there is anything governing the sale of animal parts when there are no laws governing the killing/protection of the animal itself. In the spirit of the laws that do exist....the reason I'm offering the little money I'm offering is to cover the trouble of carrying around, freezing, boxing, and going to the PO to mail the thing. I thought about offering more to quickly get enough to cover my needs, but I don't want to be incentivizing anyone to go out on copperhead hunts to rake in a pile of cash. If folks can help me out in their routine, typical dispachment of snakes they run into turkey hunting or gardening, great, but I seriously do not want anyone going out of their way to make some money.
    Probably should buy a news paper that is rapped in a snake skin.
    Last edited by santee11; 02-19-2021 at 08:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JCT View Post
    Fine looking bows...
    Thanks. I'm getting better at it. I just make them to try to get a rig that I can confidently kill critters with. I still have a long, long way to go with this stuff, but it's a blast of a hobby to be addicted to.

Do you have any interest in an eastern diamond back thats maybe 2 1/2 ft long? I have one in the freezer. Perfect condition minus the bullet wound to its head

Thanks. I'm getting better at it. I just make them to try to get a rig that I can confidently kill critters with. I still have a long, long way to go with this stuff, but it's a blast of a hobby to be addicted to.
    Would you ever sell one?

You use a massey finish on the wood???
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

I have it in my mind that I’ll never sell one, simply because I have a list of people I’m going to gift a bow to, and I’m not set up to get them done any time soon. Maybe when I get into a place with a decent shop and start making more bows than I have homes for...maybe. Look at Ryan Gill’s bows at huntprimitive.com or if you want a true primitive work of art that’ll hunt with the best of the best trad bows, look into what Weylin has available at swiftwood bows.

The bow in the pic was an all natural selfbow originally. I shot a deer with it that saw me drawing and wheeled at the sight of the release, so it did not end up well. When it was a selfbow, I just rubbed bear grease into the wood and topped that with a bear grease and beeswax paste and buffed it. While crawling across a cow pasture and crossing barbed wire fences when I was following the sparse blood trail, I dinged the back on something and had to degrease the bow, back it with rawhide, and re-tiller. Because of the rawhide, I used 10-12 coats of Tru Oil to finish it. I like the tru oil...it’s fairly quick and easy, but I plan on trying other finishes and Massey is definitely one I want to try.
    Last edited by WhitewaterDuck; 02-21-2021 at 12:01 PM.

Ryan’s are true primitive works of art...Weylin just makes some insanely unique sticks.

Quote Originally Posted by scbulldog View Post
    Do you have any interest in an eastern diamond back thats maybe 2 1/2 ft long? I have one in the freezer. Perfect condition minus the bullet wound to its head
    Sure thing. If you aren’t going to do anything with it, I’ll take it. Let me figure out exactly when I’ll be in Camden, and I’ll get you to mail it so it gets there when I’m in town.

I have it in my mind that I’ll never sell one, simply because I have a list of people I’m going to gift a bow to, and I’m not set up to get them done any time soon. Maybe when I get into a place with a decent shop and start making more bows than I have homes for...maybe. Look at Ryan Gill’s bows at huntprimitive.com or if you want a true primitive work of art that’ll hunt with the best of the best trad bows, look into what Weylin has available at swiftwood bows.

The bow in the pic was an all natural selfbow originally. I shot a deer with it that saw me drawing and wheeled at the sight of the release, so it did not end up well. When it was a selfbow, I just rubbed bear grease into the wood and topped that with a bear grease and beeswax paste and buffed it. While crawling across a cow pasture and crossing barbed wire fences when I was following the sparse blood trail, I dinged the back on something and had to degrease the bow, back it with rawhide, and re-tiller. Because of the rawhide, I used 10-12 coats of Tru Oil to finish it. I like the tru oil...it’s fairly quick and easy, but I plan on trying other finishes and Massey is definitely one I want to try.
    I would definitely do the massey. The thing is durable. When I had a shop I started making calls and then sold the house. Just got a house finished being built now getting a shop together soon put on hold for a little 2nd child just born!!! Anyhow... of all the finishes I tested the massey was by far the most durable. I have a few barrels I tested and I still have the first barrel I tested massey on it been through it! Only blemish is a chip on the band that was made from cross cut pecan. I did a drop test and it chipped the wood. I'll see if I can find a picture of it.
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

I Sent you a Pm.

Have you a 2.5 footer. Sent pm
    Non Supporting Member

Nice'n hope you gave him a pass....
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.